Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Orange technical thread.

NoKimberDave

7 minutes ago, jbran267 said:

So if it needs to be modified anyway, is the TSO still worth the premium over a TS? 

Individual priorities and fit thing, but really I think it is good to go with the only necessary mod being to copy the bit of file/dremel work that xXGearHeadXx showed in his post. 

Wish I had tried that before spending $75 on a different magwell, I think, need to spend more time working with the gun to be certain. 

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Individual priorities and fit thing, but really I think it is good to go with the only necessary mod being to copy the bit of file/dremel work that xXGearHeadXx showed in his post. 

Wish I had tried that before spending $75 on a different magwell, I think, need to spend more time working with the gun to be certain. 

Thanks, now to just save nickels and wait for one.  I love the look of the TSO, and was hoping the cost would be justified.

To me the Tac sport felt massive. I was gonna go that route and do a frame reduction and grip tape it. Then add sights and a few other things. That would have drove the price up considerably, especially when you consider the extra magazine, metal base pads, and metal grips, and nice guide rod. So at the end of the day you pay the same at least.

the Orange had everything I wanted so I went that route. The grip shape is much slimmer, and the serrations negate the need for grip tape. First gun I ever owned that didn't need more grip. I did add LOK grips and an extended safety. But that's it so far.

It was all worth it to me.

7 hours ago, jbran267 said:

So if it needs to be modified anyway, is the TSO still worth the premium over a TS? 

I think it's a nice evolution of the TS.  The frame, gas pedal, and sights are a big improvement. The checkering is better, and the orange grips just look BA. 

As others have noted the magwell ABSOLUTELY needs to be worked on.  They could have included a larger safety for small hands guys like myself as well. Aside from those two things I don't find the gun lacking anywhere. 

Compared to other limited division guns out there it's a pretty good value dollar for dollar.  

5 hours ago, xXGearheadXx said:

I think it's a nice evolution of the TS.  The frame, gas pedal, and sights are a big improvement. The checkering is better, and the orange grips just look BA. 

As others have noted the magwell ABSOLUTELY needs to be worked on.  They could have included a larger safety for small hands guys like myself as well. Aside from those two things I don't find the gun lacking anywhere. 

Compared to other limited division guns out there it's a pretty good value dollar for dollar.  

I could not agree more.

On 3/6/2017 at 8:49 PM, NoKimberDave said:

My gun was super tight but smooth. It felt and looked like it was lapped. All internals polished nicely.

It's a 9mm but was cycling 147s over 3.0 guns of TG right out of the box. I did select what felt like the lightest spring. Prob 10 pounds. Haven't had a failure yet that was the guns fault. Only have maybe 1200 thru it.

I hate that your gun is giving you problems, and wish dearly that I could diagnose it!

Maybe a mag catch issue?

I think it's a mag not being seated properly issue. When it's loaded up with bullets, you gotta make sure it's seated properly. I tested it the last few nights and it appears to be the issue. I will find out for sure Saturday to see if I have any more failure to feed issues. Thanks!

Shot my .40 TSO a lot yesterday and noticed during cleaning that the buffer on the end of the guide rod/spring was split?  

Shot roughly 100 rounds... seems like premature wear to me. Luckily the gun comes with a pack of spares!

40 minutes ago, racerwong said:

Tried to search but came up empty. 

Im using whatever came with the gun. Havent touched the internals. Are the springs that come with the gun different?

The spare hammer springs (mainsprings if you prefer) are about 1/4" different in length from each other, have not removed the installed hammer spring to compare. The longer spare also appears to be larger in diameter, easiest to see if you look at them from the end. 

The spare slide springs I tried in the gun, they both felt lighter than the spring that came installed. I could not feel a definite difference between the two spares. A weird thing is that the last coil of the spring that came in the gun only is smaller in diameter than the rest of the spring and grabs the guide rod tight, spares were not like that.

As delivered, my gun cycles 145 pf powder puff 40 cal loads. 

I noticed the pinched spring as well. Was not sure if the buffer being cracked had something to do with it but was super hard to remove. 

I'll try using with one of the spare springs that came with the gun and see what happens tonight!

32 minutes ago, inline4 said:

anyone else hitting really high with their tso 40?
i have my rear sight cranked all the way down, it still seems to be 3-4 inches high at 50ft.
anyone know the front sight height?

Mine came out just right with a 200gr major handload.  I had to tweak height just slightly for the 180s i'm now using, but nothing that wasn't within the range of adjustment on the stock sights.  You can go here, follow the instructions, and order the right height site.  

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/ 

Mine came out just right with a 200gr major handload.  I had to tweak height just slightly for the 180s i'm now using, but nothing that wasn't within the range of adjustment on the stock sights.  You can go here, follow the instructions, and order the right height site.  

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/ 

so yours hit point of aim with the front sight dot covering the bullseye?

2 hours ago, inline4 said:

so yours hit point of aim with the front sight dot covering the bullseye?

You use the top of the front post as POA, not the dot on the sight.   The dot is not the point of aim, it's there the help you pick up the sight during the draw and track it during recoil.  You could get a tall enough front to allow you to do that, but you'd be completely obscuring the target with front site focus...not good on distance shots and tiny little steel targets.

Edited by xXGearheadXx

You use the top of the front post as POA, not the dot on the sight.   The dot is not the point of aim, it's there the help you pick up the sight during the draw and track it during recoil.  You could get a tall enough front to allow you to do that, but you'd be completely obscuring the target with front site focus...not good on distance shots and tiny little steel targets.

I'm hitting real high either way

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, inline4 said:

anyone else hitting really high with their tso 40?
i have my rear sight cranked all the way down, it still seems to be 3-4 inches high at 50ft.
anyone know the front sight height?

My TSO shot super low, like 3" low at a 8 yd target, 3 or so full dial turns to bring elevation up solved that . Now she's on point

18 hours ago, midatlantic said:

Spoke with CZ customer support and they said the two extra recoil springs are 11 and 13 pounds.

shorter one is 11

Good to know and thanks for sharing , did they say how much pounds the spring that comes in gun is?

Actually I dont think I ever specified! I have a 9mm. I also asked about there spring in the gun, and he said he "thinks" 16  pd. Couldn't find a tech document to specify. Comparing the three springs I'd say thats right. 

Shot my 9mm TSO for the first time today and it's an absolute tack driver, I've never shot a gun this accurate and the trigger is a dream.  Only hiccup was one live round got jammed in the gun.  I fired a shot and the empty ejected but the gun did not go fully back into battery and was locked up.  I had to grab the slide and smack the back of the grip pretty hard to dislodge the round.  I then reloaded the round back in the mag and loaded it and the gun still didn't quite go into battery so I smacked the back of the slide and it went into battery.  I was able to fire the round then ran fine for the rest of the rounds.

Long story short, could it be a round out of tolerance on OAL that the gun didn't like?  Was shooting 115 winchester white box factory ammo only.  Other 99 rounds were flawless.

By the way my buffer in the recoil assembly didn't have any wear or visible damage at all after 100 rounds.

Edited by CosmosMpower

9 hours ago, CosmosMpower said:

Shot my 9mm TSO for the first time today and it's an absolute tack driver, I've never shot a gun this accurate and the trigger is a dream.  Only hiccup was one live round got jammed in the gun.  I fired a shot and the empty ejected but the gun did not go fully back into battery and was locked up.  I had to grab the slide and smack the back of the grip pretty hard to dislodge the round.  I then reloaded the round back in the mag and loaded it and the gun still didn't quite go into battery so I smacked the back of the slide and it went into battery.  I was able to fire the round then ran fine for the rest of the rounds.

Long story short, could it be a round out of tolerance on OAL that the gun didn't like?  Was shooting 115 winchester white box factory ammo only.  Other 99 rounds were flawless.

By the way my buffer in the recoil assembly didn't have any wear or visible damage at all after 100 rounds.

I removed my buffer right out of the box before I shot mine (.40s&w) and it ran fine with 3 boxes of winchester wb , could be buffer ?? 

Also check your grip and sight screws guys, I found one of my rear sight screws wasn't all the way on and a grip screw was starting to work itself loose on one side... not sure if the grip screw loosening has to do with me shooting .40 . but the sight screw was definitely odd to see it almost loose from box

My TSO ate the buffer in under 200 rounds also. I shot another 200 round match with a DPM buffer but I might try switching back to the stock spring and just not use a buffer I felt like the pistol had more recoil with the DPM and my videos shows significantly more muzzle flip while the original spring buffer combo was shooting crazy flat. It was warmer outside but I don't see that making such a big difference. I'm pretty sure my DPM was running the heaviest spring it came with but I may need to experiment and perhaps get a lighter load.