Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Orange technical thread.

NoKimberDave

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a CZ Custom IPSC box magwell & 1 extra capacity basepad. 

Overall

m10.jpg.8188f75df4108dbcbbe1167ddea779ad.jpg

A standard magazine and basepad just barely extends out of the magwell. The orange basepads seem to be about flush. Time will tell if this works ok for reloads, initial playing about seems like it may be ok. UPDATE - Standard TS black plastic basepads are too wide to work with the CZC magwell, filing off the sides near the rear might allow them to work. 

m9.jpg.6af29c2cf5be1f8318a36a79ac5e2c87.jpg

Longer grips are probably in my near future (anybody got any stock wood TS grips they want to sell?) but the gun still feels good in my hand. 

m7.jpg.db54fbedc004690831b1759a75e907d6.jpg

Sad fit of oem well. 

m4.jpg.1af5490ca069efd4d70c708ec97f81af.jpg

Better but not as good as expected fit of new one. 

m2.jpg.3573b1dc53fcaee15111fd8c3bd6fd11.jpg

Oem + extended basepad

m5.jpg.7cdc19a06ce457483ed2edabff652617.jpg

New + extended pad.

m6.jpg.f216dbf75f8ed72272ba2acffad20002.jpg

I think I am going to be happy with this purchase after blending sides of frame a little bit, but time will tell.

m3.jpg

Edited by IHAVEGAS
Found problem with standard TS basepad

Hey guys,

I notice the slide fitment is really really tight which is great but it needs to be worked in. How can I work it in quicker? I have been racking the slide dry but it feels crunchy still and not smooth. I fired a box of factory ammo also early this morning but still not smooth. My SP01 or Shadow 2 feel like glass compared to this thing. 

I also notice if my hammer is down and I try to rack the slide, the initial torque required is pretty high. Is that normal with the TSO?

34 minutes ago, pistolshot said:

Hey guys,

I notice the slide fitment is really really tight which is great but it needs to be worked in. How can I work it in quicker? I have been racking the slide dry but it feels crunchy still and not smooth. I fired a box of factory ammo also early this morning but still not smooth. My SP01 or Shadow 2 feel like glass compared to this thing. 

I also notice if my hammer is down and I try to rack the slide, the initial torque required is pretty high. Is that normal with the TSO?

Possible burr/metal shaving in the slide to frame track? I have had that happen with a CTS LS. 

There is nothing crunchy or unusual about the way the slide operates on my TSO. 

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Possible burr/metal shaving in the slide to frame track? I have had that happen with a CTS LS. 

Yes, check for burrs / metal shavings...I wonder is something like valve lapping compound or scope ring lapping compound can help smooth it out? 

50 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I have cleaned it with a brush as best as possible and just now lubed the crap out of it and it feels better but it's still extremely tight. Like when I take apart the gun and then go to reattach the slide to the frame, it has to be perfect or else its not going on and for that first inch, you gotta push and you feel the fitment is super tight. Then it gets a touch loser and goes on easier after that initial inch or 2cm etc. Still feels a bit crunchy though. 

I am going to take it to my gun store on Monday just to confirm. 

40 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Yes, check for burrs / metal shavings...I wonder is something like valve lapping compound or scope ring lapping compound can help smooth it out? 

How would I apply compound like that in the slide? Like put it on and then rack the slide until smooth?

1 hour ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Kinda sad that you guys still have to purchase new magwells on such a top tier gun though.

What gun in this price range or less do most people leave a stock magwell on?

Just now, Garmil said:

What gun in this price range or less do most people leave a stock magwell on?

SIG 1911 Max? Comes with Dawson Ice magwell. 

STIs aren't that far out of the price range either. Especially the STI Trojans and Springfield Armor 1911s w/ Dawson's CRP.

11 minutes ago, pistolshot said:

How would I apply compound like that in the slide? Like put it on and then rack the slide until smooth?

My cts ls just had an issue with a rough spot on the left side near the back where some of the metal is relieved. Found the small area that was rough and fixed it with a bit of light file work. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

2 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

STIs aren't that far out of the price range either. Especially the STI Trojans and Springfield Armor 1911s w/ Dawson's CRP.

Obviously I am not anti CZ. But I have played a good bit with 2011's and never had a magwell that did not fit well enough to the frame to prevent the magazine from catching on reloads. Disappointing, but I think it will be fixable. 

14 minutes ago, pistolshot said:

I would think that would work. A light amount in the rails, then put the slide on, without the barrel and recoil spring, and work the slide back and forth. I would take it slow, maybe 15-20 racks, then clean and see if it was better. If not, start again. You don't want to loosen it up too much, just smooth it out.

11 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Kinda sad that you guys still have to purchase new magwells on such a top tier gun though.

The original magwell was good enough for my large hands. I see a need for CZC magwell only with huge hands.

32 minutes ago, PRanta said:

The original magwell was good enough for my large hands. I see a need for CZC magwell only with huge hands.

Good illustration of a correctly fit magwell on a Tanfo & the issue with the TSO magwell starting at about 11:00 . 

58 minutes ago, PRanta said:

Thanks, nice video review. The blending is done with a file or Dremel. No need to change magwell. I've had CZ magwell in CM, TSO and Shadow without any reload issues.

If somebody wouldn't mind posting an after blending picture with oem magwell I would appreciate it.

I've blended on other guns but with the amount of mismatch on the TSO/oem I have been scared to try to blend because I was concerned that you would need to remove too much metal and weaken the frame. If you can get a good functional end result with no harm to the gun and the oem then that would be a great option. 

Along with my tightness I went out to the range today to fire a few thousand rounds only to find out I am having failure to load issues.

I brought 3 ammos types S&B factory, remanufactured ammo 1 and remanufactured ammo 2.

The factory would cycle all the time without issue.

Remanufactured ammo 1 would cycle 99% of the times. Had 1 issue when the gun was cold

Remanufactured ammo 2 would cycle only when the gun was hot. When it was cold I would LAMR and the first round would fire however it would not pick up the 2nd round. I would eject the mag, look at the bullet and it was sitting forward about a cm, I pushed it back and put it back, put it in the gun and re-racked the slide and it would load it and fire and then not pick up the next round nd this would continue until the gun warmed up. I could rack the slide forward and back like there was no mag. The bullet was sitting against that part of the barrel that sloped into the barrel.

Any ideas? I talked to the people where I bought the ammo and they said gun was really tight and suggested I try a 11# recoil spring until it gets looser. Even with the 11# spring, I still had issues though. 

I took out the firing pin to cycle the bullets manually and did more testing and it might be I am not putting the mag in properly if thats possible. One second no rounds load properly then all of a sudden everything works with whatever ammo I choose. 

If it doesn't load properly and I push the mag in and re-cycle the slide, it works fine. 

In case anybody else didn't know that full size CZ 75 grips would fit with CZC magwell and just a smidge filed off of the bottom. Something to play with for free if you have old grips in your gun parts goodie pile. 

It appears that CZ 75 Compact grips would fit with the oem magwell with minor fitting. 

rubber.thumb.jpg.441eaa628428a677c06b917dc30e97d7.jpg

Edited by IHAVEGAS

On 3/5/2017 at 10:09 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

If somebody wouldn't mind posting an after blending picture with oem magwell I would appreciate it.

I've blended on other guns but with the amount of mismatch on the TSO/oem I have been scared to try to blend because I was concerned that you would need to remove too much metal and weaken the frame. If you can get a good functional end result with no harm to the gun and the oem then that would be a great option. 

Here's a pic from when my magwell still looked new and pretty O_o.  I won't be making les baer jealous of my work but it fixed my issue.  I filed this down by hand.  You don't really have to remove much metal.  The rear is just slightly rounded as the as i didn't want to start removing metal from around the mainspring plug.  

IMG_4660.JPG

Edit: and i hope my wife doesn't find this photographic evidence of my bench vise mounted to the kitchen table. :)

Edited by xXGearheadXx

Since it worked for you I gave it a shot.

Put a much more shallow angle on the frame than what I assumed would be needed, so as you noted there is little metal removed.

Feels like it is going to work aok :) !!

Thanks!!

Good luck with Momma :) . 

I just kinda knocked that hard edge off mine with some jewelers type files and smoothed it with some 400 grit and oil. It's not super blended but there's nothing for the mag to hang up on.

The chechmate mag well feels like a chasm compared to my CZ75 so I am going to keep it. Plus I like the look.

With the smoothed edges and a decent magwell my reloads have gone from 6.8 seconds down to a blazing 5.4 seconds.

Chris Tilley better be on his game next time I come after him! 

On 3/5/2017 at 5:25 PM, pistolshot said:

I took out the firing pin to cycle the bullets manually and did more testing and it might be I am not putting the mag in properly if thats possible. One second no rounds load properly then all of a sudden everything works with whatever ammo I choose. 

If it doesn't load properly and I push the mag in and re-cycle the slide, it works fine. 

My gun was super tight but smooth. It felt and looked like it was lapped. All internals polished nicely.

It's a 9mm but was cycling 147s over 3.0 guns of TG right out of the box. I did select what felt like the lightest spring. Prob 10 pounds. Haven't had a failure yet that was the guns fault. Only have maybe 1200 thru it.

I hate that your gun is giving you problems, and wish dearly that I could diagnose it!

Maybe a mag catch issue?