Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Orange technical thread.

NoKimberDave

Starting this thread for those (me!) that are new to the large frame CZ's and have no clue what works on them. 

First, I wonder if anybody has experience with magazines and base pads. I have seen these:

1. CZC basepads, two sizes

2. Springer precision, two sizes

3. Taylor Freelance

I wonder if anyone can comment on these bases, and what followers/springs were used, and how many rounds you get. I am interested in 9mm,  but I am sure many are interested in .40.

I suppose they work with the chechmate mag well, but not totally sure.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: Would also be interested in grips people are using for these.

Edited by NoKimberDave
spelling

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a TSO in 9mm and a .40 that's arriving today, so hopefully I an answer some questions.

Right now I'm using Springer 140mm base pads.  Originally, I had the Grams followers in them for 23 rounds reloadable.  However, I had occasional issues with nosediving rounds so I went back to the stock follower.  22 reloadable rounds now and zero issues.

TSO in 40S&W, i bought four complete 140mm mags from CZC , a little bit pricey but i can use 21 rounds reliably in all four with no problems. One of my shooting buddies had two broken Taylor Freelance base pads on 40 mags after dropping them on the concrete floor a the range, no issues with the CZC on same floor.

Yuck, yuck, yuck. 

IMG_20170219_073144603.jpg.7feb1bd4a3f797ea15a991e693dfa44f.jpg

Why do you spend so much thought and effort on building a nice gun and then make the magwell/mag opening so completely half arsed? 

Anybody fixed this yet? Before I get out the dremel & some touch up blue I thought perhaps there might be a picture out there after blending or perhaps somebody makes a magwell that actually sort of fits the opening. 

Notes. Both grip screws were crazy tight, no sign of loctite but it was nerve racking to break them free and they both came loose with a crack sound. The magwell screw was apparently drowned in loctite, put as much torque as I dared into it to break it free & then backed off and thought things over. Worked the magwell screw with tightening and then loosening pressure for a bit & then it came loose pretty easy. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Yuck, yuck, yuck. 

Why do you spend so much thought and effort on building a nice gun and then make the magwell/mag opening so completely half arsed? 

Anybody fixed this yet? Before I get out the dremel & some touch up blue I thought perhaps there might be a picture out there after blending or perhaps somebody makes a magwell that actually sort of fits the opening. 

Notes. Both grip screws were crazy tight, no sign of loctite but it was nerve racking to break them free and they both came loose with a crack sound. The magwell screw was apparently drowned in loctite, put as much torque as I dared into it to break it free & then backed off and thought things over. Worked the magwell screw with tightening and then loosening pressure for a bit & then it came loose pretty easy. 

My magwell looks equally as lame. My only complaint with the gun really. Gonna go after it with files and a dremel, likely today.

Also, my grip screws were same. I wondered if they used some kind of clear loctite? 

40 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

My magwell looks equally as lame. My only complaint with the gun really. Gonna go after it with files and a dremel, likely today.

Also, my grip screws were same. I wondered if they used some kind of clear loctite? 

I think I will call CZC & maybe CGW before firing up the dremel. Looks like CZC makes something that fits well for the regular TS. If you take the plunge with the dremel please let us know how that works out. 

No clue on the grip screws. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

The thing with the grip screws is, they _have_ to be extremely tight and probably even some form of thread locker applied to stay tight.  Regular-tight and no thread locker is guaranteed to come loose eventually (say 500 rounds).

10 hours ago, adamge said:

The thing with the grip screws is, they _have_ to be extremely tight and probably even some form of thread locker applied to stay tight.  Regular-tight and no thread locker is guaranteed to come loose eventually (say 500 rounds).

I have 4 other CZ's that use the same type of single screw grip attachment. None of them were unusually tight new except this one. The only way I would try to put them back together that tight is with a torque wrench I trusted and some new information explaining why the threads would not strip. 

I am with you on the thread locker for grips which do not allow use of washers or which are not made of a compressible material. The single screw attachment design seems to work best for wood or rubber & with a washer, which I am guessing is what was popular way back on day one. 

On 2/19/2017 at 11:47 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I think I will call CZC & maybe CGW before firing up the dremel. Looks like CZC makes something that fits well for the regular TS. If you take the plunge with the dremel please let us know how that works out. 

No clue on the grip screws. 

I will bet that the CZC will not fit any better than the Chechmate magwell. Just based on what I have seen with CZC magwells on Shadows.

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

Thing is: strip the grip screw threads on frame and you are screwed!

No pun intended?

Have read on other CZ forums about installing a threaded bushing after stripping threads on frame, but I do not want to go there. 

Has any TSO owners changed out the factory thumbrest on your guns? I'm contemplating changing mine to something wider and installing the CZC oversized safety to aid in comfort/support ; the thumbrest I'm eyeing is one made for the czechmate and regular TS ( http://fasttoys.net/ca/CZ-Czechmate-and-CZ-Tactical-Sport-Thumb-Rest/ )