Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Arms open guns

Hunter1998

I have had good luck with CK Arms Limited guns, wanting to hear comments on their 9mm major open pistols. Accuracy, dependability, recoil "flattness or muzzle rise". Debating a full custom.  

Edited by Hunter1998
Correction

I bought a slightly used CK Hardcore 9 major open gun, the one with the slide panel cuts.  Basically the same gun as the Thunder, which has through-cuts in the slide.  It has 3 small barrel ports, a Cheely comp, and a 8 moa RTS2 (which has been totally reliable).  With the stock polymer grip it shoots reasonably flat with 124 JHPs and WAC, even better with 3n38, but still moves more than a gun with a steel grip.  I'm having a PT EVO put on it and will know more when I can test that combination out.  Trigger group came with a EGW hard sear and EGW hammer, had some smoothing and adjustment and is very nice (and reliable) at 1.7#.  The slide/frame/barrel fit seems tight, and although the action isn't quite as smooth as full-custom guns I've handled it may get there with more rounds.  Handles well and is easy to aim with the RTS2.  Totally reliable so far, no jams (both STI mags with spacers and MBX.)  Haven't benched for accuracy yet, but it does USPSA target "head" hits reliably at 25 and 40 yards.  I'm becoming a fan of 9 major, although I still favor 38sc for big matches. 

Edited by teros135

Solid gun. Runs. Supported. Excellent value.  Immediate delivery. 

Way better choice than a factory STI. Not quite what you get in a good custom build. 

Downside is it's not a full custom so getting every nuance you want is cost prohibitive and possibly voids CK warranty.  This is why mine has become more of a peace of mind backup than the primary gun I choose to run.  

Edited by theWacoKid

Waco's right, it's not a "nuance" gun.  But then, you have to pay for nuances.  I'm fine with the black finish (which I understand is PVD, pretty tough), panel cuts, and stainless controls.  You should be able to swap the scope mount for a silver-colored one, which adds some to the look.  But frankly, it isn't the look or "bling" I want.  It's function and reliability.  And affordable, for now.  When I get to A or M (yeah, right :P ) maybe the $6500 gun and the long wait might be worth it.  Unless that's important to you. 

I'd agree with Waco that it's a good backup gun (as it was to the guy I bought it from), but I'm also using it as my primary for practice and at LI matches (I'm using my 38sc gun at LII).  Can't wait to try it out with the new grip (I'm also a big PT fan). 

Edited by teros135

I have a hardcore and thunder (both 38 super). Both with rts2 and steel grip. 

Very flat shooting but also fairly soft. My svi is just as flat but harder in the hand than the ck. 

The downside over custom is really in aesthetics. And the fact that your gun won't be a one of a kind. 

Other than that that it has all the good gear. 

Egw fire control

aftec extractor

titanium cheely comp

brazos racker

pvd finish

lots of things to like about them. 

15 minutes ago, echotango said:

Unless they have changed. According to Bobby, Matt doesn't make the TI comp anymore. They are still around, but he stopped about a year ago according to him. 

I didn't know that!

20 minutes ago, echotango said:

Unless they have changed. According to Bobby, Matt doesn't make the TI comp anymore. They are still around, but he stopped about a year ago according to him. 

Interesting.  Mine was made in 2014 and *seems* to have a more rearward balance in the barrel.  Might be titanium?  I'll have to weigh it if I ever take it off (red Loctite, 2 setscrews).  

2 hours ago, teros135 said:

I looked at the CK arms website, but it doesn't list the comp materal for either the gun or the part.  Perhaps Bobby could tell us?

On CK site If you go into the products page and  check parts it lists comps in SS or to in drop down

9 minutes ago, Sarge said:

On CK site If you go into the products page and  check parts it lists comps in SS or to in drop down

"To in drop down"?  Either that's a new material, or you're using speech recognition!

(For me, Dragon once typed, "she doesn't drink much but would have an occasional bear with nails" - guess what that one was...)

Yep, I see titanium as an option for the comp if purchased separately. 

I am going to be the negative Nancy hear. Have 2 freinds that have CK open guns. One has cracked the slide twice. One cracked the slide within 500 rounds. They both had to pay to send the guns back for repair. Not cheap if you have ever needed to do so.   The 500rd one got his gun back in 4 weeks. They did not loctite the comp or setscrews causing the comp to loosen and throw bullets all over till we figured it out. 

Apparently from what I was told they got a bad batch of slides.   Who knows what the truth is. 

1 hour ago, Sandbagger123 said:

I am going to be the negative Nancy hear. Have 2 freinds that have CK open guns. One has cracked the slide twice. One cracked the slide within 500 rounds. They both had to pay to send the guns back for repair. Not cheap if you have ever needed to do so.   The 500rd one got his gun back in 4 weeks. They did not loctite the comp or setscrews causing the comp to loosen and throw bullets all over till we figured it out. 

Apparently from what I was told they got a bad batch of slides.   Who knows what the truth is. 

Only slide I ever cracked was STI. CK is still good to go