Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vague long range question

sstephns

I'm taking a long range class with my dad this spring (Bang Steel). Neither of us have ever shot that far out. We've gotten pretty much everything they recommend. I'm shooting a savage 10 fp in 308 and my dad is shooting a savage 11 LRH in 6.5 creedmoor. I don't have a brake on the gun, he does.

Does anyone have any good general advice for general gear, techniques, learning, etc?

I know it's a vague question, but I'll take what I can glean from anyone experienced.

A good bipod and rear bag. Maybe a few different sized bags based on the angle you're shooting and to use if shooting off barricades. Not sure what the class covers but a good tripod and hog saddle (or similar) is worth it's weight in gold. A sling you can use to load into the tripod makes it better. 

Always support the gun as much as possible. Front support is almost mandatory. If you have the front supported, take a second to see if you can support the back. Example, you're knee (reverse kneeling), a tripod leg, a large rear bag or pack, etc. taking a couple seconds to build a stable position is always better than rushing the shot. Oh, and keep your shoulders square to the target for better recoil management. There's a lot to learn but that should get you started. 

Thanks. I worked up some loads this weekend but I think my chrono was acting up with the sun light. Got some more work to do with them. I do have a bipod and rear bag, gonna pick up another as I found I didn't have enough height with one.

I would suggest going over to Snipers Hide/Scout and do some reading.  Tons of good advice over there from some very knowledgable folks.  As for prep, I would get a range finder and put together a data card for your setup before you go if possible.

On 2/7/2017 at 0:07 AM, sstephns said:

Thanks. I worked up some loads this weekend but I think my chrono was acting up with the sun light. Got some more work to do with them.

Yes, make sure your load is consistent and accurate. Otherwise, just pick up some Federal Gold Medal Match 175smk factory loads and chrono through your gun. The 168s are accurate but open up after 700 yards I've found.

Then download Strelok and familiarize yourself with it. The advantage of a smartphone app over a data card is you can input prevailing environmental conditions like temp, altitude and barometric pressure.

Yes, a good rangefinder is essential. Helps you validate dope.

Call the instructor at the school....  Ask him and listen.  What you'll find is since they are teaching the class, they are probably the best source for information as far as equipment for the class.  Not only that, but they may have some hookups, like a rifle to borrow so you don't have to buy one.

Thanks for the replies. He has a lot of info on his website. What I've gleaned from emails with him and from reading their website is that they are out to teach people how to reach out far with what they have, not necessarily with an f class rig. 

Part of the class is building your range card, but I'll try to get out and at least reach out to 500 yards a few times before I go.

Very much appreciate the responses

Buy the best glass you can afford.

Excellent factory match ammo is available for both. If you don't reload buy a case of the same lot. 

Get a good zero and good chrono data. They are the building blocks for everything you will do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Show up with questions you want answered that you can't answer yourself. Do you have a Kestrel with Applied Ballistics software? Do you know how to "true" it? Do you have a sling and know how to use it? Etc. get your money's worth out of the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You will need a 9-13" bipod. A bench size bipod will be too low for this class because of the angle that you shoot from. If you can't get a bipod that size, cut two pieces of a 2x6  about 16" long to set your bipod on to raise it up. You will need a good rear bag. When you get there, have your rifle zero'd at 100 yds. You won't need dope numbers, because Dan will work you through that during the first part of the lesson.  Dan uses (or used to) jbm ballistics. Have a good little notebook to take notes. The most important thing to take is a willingness to learn. Dan is very laid back, no pressure, and is just a good guy. My lesson was very much like yours will be. I had a 6.5 Creed, with a mil scope, and the other guy had a 308 with a moa scope. Dan went back and forth between us and never missed a beat. I had a great time and learned so much. I would recommend this lesson to anyone who wants to learn to shoot long range. Solid lesson from a great teacher. Beautiful countryside. It just doesn't get much better than that. 

get a good bubble level that mounts to the back of the scope.   you can't rely on land marks such as tree lines or the horizon to think that you are set up level .   get a non directional wind meter and learn how to read mirage and how to apply what you are seeing in the scope past the target, at it and  in front of it, and what the wind meter is telling you where you sit.  ie, is the grass or leaves at your location moving in the same direction at the target or is it even moving at all???