Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cmore mount bolt removal

Lstand

I have tried the search functions for this and I did not turn up any results so I thought I would ask. I recently purchased a used STI Trubor from a forum member and decided I wanted to put a thumb rest on it. When trying to remove the screws I was able to remove some but not the ones I needed to. I almost stripped out the head of a bolt and bent an Allen wrench trying. I contacted the previous owner and he said that he didn't mess with it that it was just how it came from the factory.

Any ideas on removal? Not sure if heating with a torch is a very good idea.

Also does anyone know what size bolts they are? I need to order some longer ones as the ones that came with the thumbrest won't work.

Thanks in advance.

In this case heat is your friend

i use a small butane torch to heat up the screws and break down the loctite, if you're worried about the heat affecting the scope, you can remove it 

C-more typically uses a 5-40 screw

They were probably put on with red lock-tite. That is the way I do mine. You will need to heat it to remove it. I use a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight (like less than $15). Or, if you have a mini torch, that will do. Just be really careful with the heat, a little goes a long way, 

Edited by JMike

Sounds like there is some loctite on the screws.  Assuming it is Red loctite you need to apply about 550 degrees to the screw: Torch, big azzed soldering iron, or possibly a heat gun would work.  I'd remove the C-more to ensure it doesn't get damaged.

http://henkeladhesivesna.com/blog/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker/

6 minutes ago, Lstand said:

Thanks for the advice! Would one of the small propane torches work or is that too big?

I use a butane torch to kill red loctite. Propane will work just don't over do it. It doesn't have to glow cherry red to break loose. :)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-ST2200T-Butane-Micro-Torch-330194/100564678?&cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|B|0|B-BASE-D25T+Tools|&mid=UThzd5Qg|dc_mtid_8903vry57826_pcrid_73529856928951_pkw__pmt_e_

The micro tip will allow you to apply the heat to the head of the screw without having to take the C-More off.  Get the screw warm to hot, don't over do it, and they will come right out.  Better than a heat gun heating up everything.

I had the same problem when switching over to a 90 degree mount. The small (very small) torch is the best method. Harbor freight has them.

For the ones with stripped sockets use a small punch to slowly drive it loose, and work it out. On the others use a fresh Allen wrench.

I didn't use red Loctite on the new install. I have a bottle of High Temp Blue Loctite. Heat from the gun won't loosen the screws. It's hard to find, but worth it.

3 hours ago, sitw said:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-ST2200T-Butane-Micro-Torch-330194/100564678?&cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|B|0|B-BASE-D25T+Tools|&mid=UThzd5Qg|dc_mtid_8903vry57826_pcrid_73529856928951_pkw__pmt_e_

The micro tip will allow you to apply the heat to the head of the screw without having to take the C-More off.  Get the screw warm to hot, don't over do it, and they will come right out.  Better than a heat gun heating up everything.

That is what I used. The Bernzomatic worked great. Also, I would suggest instead of using allen wrenches to remove the screws (I stripped out several allen wrenches, whomever had put mine together used something other than red loctite), get a torx head socket that fits tight, and a 1/4" ratchet.  The torx head that will fit in the allen head of the screw is bigger and seems to grab better. It never even slipped, where the allen was stripping out.

The mount on my trubor came loose the second time I shot it, like push on the cmore and the whole mount was rocking backwards and foward. New gun from the shop. I just assumed that sti hadnt done it up. Blue loctite lives on it now with witnessing marks on the screws for a quick visual. Broke a link at about 2000 rounds as well.

Also I don't reuse the screws I remove because they're so easy to strip out the Allan head

i bought a hundred pack of screws, and trimed a bunch to

length so when I have to remove one I just put a new one in

it beats having to break out the easy out