9 Major 3n38. Getting longer over time.

DVC1911

My load that I use for 9 major is:

OAL 1.170

8.8 Gr of 3n38

124 RND Berry Bullet

CCI or Winchester SMP

Power Factor is 172+

I typically load ammo the week before the match.  All match ammo is barrel checked, and for the bigger events I verify the overall length.  My 1050 has .005 of variation for overall length.  So the overall length will vary from 1.165 yo 1.170.  So I did some different this year.  I loaded up a lot of ammo in advance.  One batch of 100 round was load this summer for the Nationals.  It was verified  that all round were at or under 1.170.    So this weekend I went to use this ammo to test a new gun.  Some rounds would not chamber, they were too long.  so I started checking all of the remaining ammo and found the following length:

3n38 is a compress load, I never realized that  over time it could cause the round to expand.  Has anyone ever experienced this?

I am going back to my old method and load one or two weeks prior to the match.  Just curious if anyone has ever run into this.

DVC

Loading 3n38 in 9 major I've never noticed them growing but then again I've never checked. I'll take a look tonight and see. Concerning because I'm loading between 9.2 and 9.4 grains. I'd say a solution would be a u die. 

Edited by user293

My barrels have enough freebore so I load them out to about 1.2"  with 125 zeros and 1.21" with MG 124's.  Never had an issue at that length with them lengthening.

When I first started loading 3n38, the smith who built the pistol recommended 1.155" because I was using his mags with spacers.  OAL was not very consistent because of the compressed load.  

47 minutes ago, DVC1911 said:

My load that I use for 9 major is:

OAL 1.170

8.8 Gr of 3n38

124 RND Berry Bullet

CCI or Winchester SMP

Power Factor is 172+

I typically load ammo the week before the match.  All match ammo is barrel checked, and for the bigger events I verify the overall length.  My 1050 has .005 of variation for overall length.  So the overall length will vary from 1.165 yo 1.170.  So I did some different this year.  I loaded up a lot of ammo in advance.  One batch of 100 round was load this summer for the Nationals.  It was verified  that all round were at or under 1.170.    So this weekend I went to use this ammo to test a new gun.  Some rounds would not chamber, they were too long.  so I started checking all of the remaining ammo and found the following length:

3n38 is a compress load, I never realized that  over time it could cause the round to expand.  Has anyone ever experienced this?

I am going back to my old method and load one or two weeks prior to the match.  Just curious if anyone has ever run into this.

DVC

Yep. I used to run MG121's over 3N37 in 9MAJOR. Even with a Udie they grew over time