Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How common are broken AR9mm firing pins

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/31/2018 at 10:14 AM, Startingover said:

As I have been casually following this and other firing pin threads, I have noticed many of you replacing their broken pin with a new Wilson Combat pin, but I don't remember seeing anyone saying that their Wilson Combat pin has broken and needs replacing.

Are they breaking just as frequently and I have missed it?

Broke my Wilson Combat FP Saturday. This one replaced the stock original Taccoom FP in his extreme BCG. My PCC runs 99.99% of the time so I knew when I had a light strike type failure during a long stage, racked it out a few rounds later did the same thing. Figured it was broken and sure enough. Replaced it with a Taccom new style FP. 

This is the second FP I have broken in roughly 10K rounds. The WC FP had about 7K on it. Both times they have broken I could finish the stage with a couple of light strikes. Has not been catastrophic failure.

Ordered 2 Taccom FP's for range bag. 

gerritm

So, it seems that firing pins will break and the only consideration is how long your personal setup will last.  Maybe looking through these posts will help people decide.

Personally, my CMMG Guard seems to be immune from this.  Have any other Guard users had a firing pin problem?

On my CMMG Colt, my original firing pin looked like it was taking some hits after about 4,000 rounds and I replaced it.  Have not shot it much after getting the Guard.

Don't think so, never asked. Pretty sure it is just part of the wear parts. Seems to happen to all.

Funny thing is that I just cleaned & inspected it a couple of weeks ago & it was fine. But will tell you 4K even 7k is not much for some guns. I know a couple of JP's that are way up in the rounds double & triple mine without any FP breakage.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
On 11/19/2018 at 5:47 AM, gerritm said:

Broke my Wilson Combat FP Saturday. This one replaced the stock original Taccoom FP in his extreme BCG. My PCC runs 99.99% of the time so I knew when I had a light strike type failure during a long stage, racked it out a few rounds later did the same thing. Figured it was broken and sure enough. Replaced it with a Taccom new style FP. 

This is the second FP I have broken in roughly 10K rounds. The WC FP had about 7K on it. Both times they have broken I could finish the stage with a couple of light strikes. Has not been catastrophic failure.

Ordered 2 Taccom FP's for range bag. 

gerritm

Well that answers that 

I just picked up a spare pin on Sunday, but all of a sudden I cant remember what I did with it?!?

Sounds like we should just buy in bulk!

36 minutes ago, Startingover said:

Well that answers that 

I just picked up a spare pin on Sunday, but all of a sudden I cant remember what I did with it?!?

Sounds like we should just buy in bulk!

2 is one and one is none!  I have three extra in my range bag.

Replaced the WC FP with the Taccom with the mushroom head Ordered 2 more from Tim for spares and got them and they were totally different, color & style. Sent him a note with pictures yesterday not expecting an answer and within an hour or so he answered that he had changed the design. More standard design looking with a new spring.   Good CS. Will see how these work out. Seems to be something to keep in the spare parts kit and know the sign (light strikes) and get it changed out.

gerritm

4 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

That's actually what I did, too... 

But that was before Tim offered the newer, standard pins for sale...  They are probably all the same...  Maybe.

I tried all 3 variants of the Taccom pins. Older Standard style, fat head and new standard style. For whatever reason when my hammer hits the pin, it yaws it in the firing pin channel (Taccom bolt) and causes it to hit the side of the firing pin hole. Chews up the head of the firing pin in 100-150 rounds.

The design on the CMMG whatever makes it different (maybe shoulder area of pin) works great and doesn’t show the same wear/damage. 

Edited by Vanniek71