Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How common are broken AR9mm firing pins

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In answer to triggers.......the std JP trigger if you install correctly is pretty much bullet proof and better than any hiperfire. I run hiperfire in my rifle......until I can swap it out for the JP. And yes.....seems like the hiperfire hits the 9mm firing pin a little hard.

10 hours ago, TRUBL said:

In answer to triggers.......the std JP trigger if you install correctly is pretty much bullet proof and better than any hiperfire. I run hiperfire in my rifle......until I can swap it out for the JP. And yes.....seems like the hiperfire hits the 9mm firing pin a little hard.

What about using the lower power springs included with hiperfire trigger? Will not help with not damaging firing pins?

4 hours ago, Trevarm said:

What about using the lower power springs included with hiperfire trigger? Will not help with not damaging firing pins?

I just suggested that to a sponsored hiperfire shooter.....worth a shot

4 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

But but, us shooters wont go to a heavier trigger just to save firing pins. lol 

This afternoon I did a through cleaning on my PCC in preparation of several matches this weekend.  Inspection of the firing pin indicated very slight mushrooming of the firing pin but not enough to be concerned.

This firing pin has over 7000 rds on it all from a Hiperfire 24c with heavy springs (lightest trigger pull).

Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Update… I got my new firing pins and retaining pin from FedEx Today. Took it to the range and fired 150 rounds with no problem. Looks like I will be able to shoot my match tomorrow after all :-)

But for those of you on the fence do yourself a favor and go ahead and place an order for a back up firing pin, or two.

I ordered 3 CMMG Stainless steel pans from primary arms at $11.99

I haven't broken a firing pin yet, but I found this while cleaning my PCC recently.  It might be hard to tell from the pics, but a good portion of the firing pin tip is either dented in or worn down and the back of the firing pin is mushroomed out (new one is on the right).  This is with under 2k rounds through it using a Geissele G2S trigger.  Anyone else ever see this kind of wear on a firing pin tip?

I did replace the firing pin when I saw this, but kind of curious how much longer it would last :D

czaqjTU.jpg

bSdMdXH.jpg

My JP FP broke today during 350 rounds of practice (maybe 6000 rounds total on this factory new gun).

Discovered this while cleaning after range session.

I believe the gun  fired many times with a broken FP!

Its possible the FP broke on the very last round of the day, but I doubt it.

So the GMR15 never failed to fire even with a broken pin.

Edited by BlackBuzzard

OK, haven't broken a firing pin yet, but I just closely inspected the firing pin in my CMMG bolt at about 3,000 rounds.  The firing pin tip looks like it has been beaten up a bit.  The shoulder at the end of the firing pin tip looks like it has been hitting on part of the inside of the bolt, causing a ridge to form.  The back of the firing pin has a slight mushroom.

I replaced with the spare I keep on hand.  Maybe firing pins should be replaced as a normal maintenance.

POF 4.5 lb trigger.

Edited by BartCarter
Added trigger
3 hours ago, BartCarter said:

OK, haven't broken a firing pin yet, but I just closely inspected the firing pin in my CMMG bolt at about 3,000 rounds.  The firing pin tip looks like it has been beaten up a bit.  The shoulder at the end of the firing pin tip looks like it has been hitting on part of the inside of the bolt, causing a ridge to form.  The back of the firing pin has a slight mushroom.

Does it look similar to my pics above?  Mine is a CMMG bolt too.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:36 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: You did not find anything since no one is making a firing pin with a taper yet. They all have a shoulder that does not have a nice big radius and that is where they break. Thanks, Eric

My stock Olympic Arms  9 uses a .223 firing pin. It is tapered where others have a sharp shoulder.

Gun is about 10 years old.  A bazillion rds. Never have replaced the pin. 3lb Timney trigger.

Finding reliable Sten mags are the gun,s only problem.

14 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Does it look similar to my pics above?  Mine is a CMMG bolt too.

Yes, similar.  But my tip was not as degraded and the shoulder was not as worn - there was still most of the taper left.  Looks like yours has the taper worn away (by striking the bolt?).

• 4 weeks later...

One of the local guys with a JP-13 had a light hit during last month's match and discovered a broken firing pin after the match.  It continued to fire but he suspected something was wrong.  He also has a Hiperfire trigger in his rifle.