Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How common are broken AR9mm firing pins

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I broke a Faxon gen2 at about 800 rounds and some dry fire. They promtly replaced it, but I bought a Taccom. This thing looks tough! The back end is full diameter instead of stepped down, I don’t expect mushrooming. All cuts are radiused. I am ising a Hyperfire EDT with a silver spring from a 24 series, I think it is about 4 pounds. Hope this works. 

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to break a firing pin. I have used 3 different bolts in my set up CMMG AR9 bolt (about 7k rounds) Taccom Extreme bolt (about 2k rounds) and now a CMMG Guard bolt (about 2k rounds). All with the same trigger although the Guard bolt uses an AR15 firing pin. 

I've broken one. I use the Hiperfire 24C trigger which may account for it, I don't know. I've since put a complete bolt in my range bag ready to go, just in case.

Anyone else with the 24C have firing pin problems?

Edited by MikieM
3 hours ago, MikieM said:

I've broken one. I use the Hiperfire 24C trigger which may account for it, I don't know. I've since put a complete bolt in my range bag ready to go, just in case.

Anyone else with the 24C have firing pin problems?

So far so good.  On a PSA Hybrid bolt and Hiperfire 24C I'm still on the original firing pin at just under 10k rds.

Have several other PCC's with PSA and Spinta bolts two using Hiperfire triggers (24E and 24-3G) and one using JP roller trigger. Not nearly as many rounds through those guns but all are still on the original firing pin.

8 minutes ago, Bwilmot said:

Not only firing pins but also hammer pins with the 24c trigger 

I've not heard of any broken hammer pins with the Hiperfire triggers but a small number of PCC shooters have had problems with the hammer pin holes enlarging over time.  I add a KNS anti-rotate / anti-walk pin set on all my 9mm lowers and so far have not had problems.

this is a repeat of an earlier post...have any of you rounded the strike end of a real Colt pin and experienced problems?... since the simple rounding I have around 7000 rounds without a problem... rounding will bring the hammer strike closer to the center line of the firing pin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My firing pin broke recently.

Under 1000 rounds. This is in my newly built PCC, faxon gen 2 bolt,  Hiperfire 3G trigger lightest pull weight springs. 

I replaced the firing pin with the new taccom firing pin.

Under 1000 rounds and this firing pin is still holding up, though the tip has marks on it- presumably from the firing pin channel. I wonder which 9mm bolts out there have smoother firing pin channels.

Maybe jp?

4 minutes ago, sbpt1911 said:

Under 1000 rounds. This is in my newly built PCC, faxon gen 2 bolt,  Hiperfire 3G trigger lightest pull weight springs. 

Under 1000 rounds and this firing pin is still holding up, though the tip has marks on it- presumably from the firing pin channel. I wonder which 9mm bolts out there have smoother firing pin channels.

Maybe jp?

Does the top of the firing pin look beat up?

5 hours ago, sbpt1911 said:

Maybe jp?

Same deal here, just broke the new taccom with less than 1500 rds. Hyperfire 24c. 

49 minutes ago, scffacenter1 said:

Same deal here, just broke the new taccom with less than 1500 rds. Hyperfire 24c. 

49 minutes ago, scffacenter1 said:

Guess Timmy's products are not as good as he claims.

8 hours ago, sbpt1911 said:

New taccom firing pin.

Tip is a little deformed. Actually this is only after aprox 160 rounds

1523409084496602934078.jpg

Had exactly the same problem with a new Taccom firing pin.  Ordered two to replace the orginial pins in two of my Taccom Extreme bolts....one is fine. The other one got beat up and kept "catching" on the firing pin hole.  Pulled it out and this is what it looked like.  Tried cleaning it up, but still have problems.  Waiting on Tim to get some new ones in.  Sometimes things happen and they slip past the inspectors....I'm a patient guy

Edited by Alvin
adding my comments