Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How common are broken AR9mm firing pins

17 hours ago, JZELEK said:

I have a 2018 Hiperfire Competition trigger and it only comes with red (2.5 lbs pull) and green springs (2.0 lbs pull), never heard of the silver ones.

What pull weight does that give you?

I have an Eclipse model that came with Blue, Yellow and Silver(no paint) the silver ones give the lightest pull and provide the hardest hit. Last time I measured it I got about a 2lb pull.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 3 pins chewed up now since I built my PCC. I am using the Taccom Extreme bolt and the Hiperfir 24c 2#.  First pin was the one that came with it, I contacted Taccom and Tim said it looked like blow back from the primers getting pierced. I also had an issue with my barrel that Tim fixed. He was nice enough to give me a new firing pin as well. Took it out and tested it, maybe ~150 rounds and the tip of that one was chewed up as well. I had purchased one of the new Taccom firing pins and put that in just this weekend before a Super Classifier match we had out here. The match was under 120 rounds. Just pulled that pin and the tip is all chewed up as well. My pins aren't breaking, just the tips are getting chewed up. 

I have the Taccom Extreme bolt and the same exact problem. I’m on my third firing pin now, but went with a non-Taccom pin to see if it is any better. This firing pin fits without the sloppy play the Taccom has, so I expect to see less tip damage since since it should not smack the channel anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Taccom Extreme bolt and the same exact problem. I’m on my third firing pin now, but went with a non-Taccom pin to see if it is any better. This firing pin fits without the sloppy play the Taccom has, so I expect to see less tip damage since since it should not smack the channel anymore.

What pin did you go with? I just ordered some CMMG pins to try on the recommendation of another board member

What pin did you go with? I just ordered some CMMG pins to try on the recommendation of another board member

I think the current one I’m using came from New Frontier Armory. It was slightly oversized so I chocked it up in a lathe a took maybe .001” off to fit.

10 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Max carries a spare bolt in a mag pouch,

What does that tell you?

I'd like to see video where he practices switching bolts on the clock. 

Looked at Max's Instagram video of Stage 22 at the Nats.  Hard to tell for sure but it looks like that may be a spare bolt on his belt just behind the magazine on his left hip.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
22 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I don't think the bolts break...  Replacing the bolt is probably the fastest was to fix a broken firing pin under the clock...

I'll bet Max has practiced changing the bolt while running a stage...  and I'll bet he's faster at changing it than you would suspect.

I don't think max does anything slow!

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I don't think the bolts break...  Replacing the bolt is probably the fastest was to fix a broken firing pin under the clock...

I'll bet Max has practiced changing the bolt while running a stage...  and I'll bet he's faster at changing it than you would suspect.

That the thing, he shouldn't have to be. You can shoot 223 AR-15s for thousands upon thousands of rounds and never see a firing pin break. My JP GMR-13 only went 12,000 rounds before the firing pin broke, and for all I know the firing pin could've been broken for a while as I only noticed it when I cleaned the bolt of the first time in thousands of rounds (I think the last time I took it out is 6,000 rounds ago when I cleaned it in my ultrasonic). But even I think that is too short of an interval.

Edited by PPGMD

Max is fast enough that once he cycles through 2-3 rounds he can pop a pin, rip out a BCG and slap a new one in and probably finish the stage with a score vs. 0'ing and be totally out of the running for.... anything. For a local match? I'll take the 0 and grab a spare bolt from my bag and install in the safe area. 

Keep in mind you're asking a lot of a system and caliber shoe-horned into a platform it wasn't designed for. 

55 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

Max is fast enough that once he cycles through 2-3 rounds he can pop a pin, rip out a BCG and slap a new one in and probably finish the stage with a score vs. 0'ing and be totally out of the running for.... anything. For a local match? I'll take the 0 and grab a spare bolt from my bag and install in the safe area. 

Keep in mind you're asking a lot of a system and caliber shoe-horned into a platform it wasn't designed for. 

Might be the best practice to do it whenever it happens.

No pressure at the safety table.

My original firing pin finally broke on my Taccom extreme bolt, just before a major match! Replaced it with the newer Taccom firing pin with chamfered shoulders. Round count of the original pin was 3k. Shot the match with the new pin no problems. 

On 10/24/2018 at 12:06 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Not sure what kind of bolt you have...  I have a Taccom Extreme bolt and the firing pin is held in by a standard AR cotter pin...  I assume your FP retention system is different, otherwise you could just push the cotter pin out.

So after returning home and completely dissembling the bolt to include gas key and extractor, my firing pin retainer pin was able to be removed but now a few millimeters shorter due to the break and my firing pin has broken inside the carrier. It’s the kind of FP with a spring attached to it and cannot be removed currently. I don’t know whether to find a punch like tool and try to force it out from the front or if part of the FP retainer pin is lodged in the FP channel preventing the pin from coming out. I’ve tried needle nose pliers and the pin clearly rotates in the channel but will not extract. I know the pin ya broke internally bc I can see it with the extractor removed that the pin isn’t moving when pushing the pin from the rear unless completely depressed and doesn’t move when pliers are attached to it from the rear. The break is more rear wards explaining the inconsistency in firing.

On 10/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, PPGMD said:

That the thing, he shouldn't have to be. You can shoot 223 AR-15s for thousands upon thousands of rounds and never see a firing pin break..

I’m happier and happier than the CMMG Guard uses a 5.56 style firing pin as this thread grows longer.

But if I ever break one, I’ll be sure to post in here with a mouthful of my own foot. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic
7 hours ago, Nonka106 said:

So after returning home and completely dissembling the bolt to include gas key and extractor, my firing pin retainer pin was able to be removed but now a few millimeters shorter due to the break and my firing pin has broken inside the carrier. It’s the kind of FP with a spring attached to it and cannot be removed currently. I don’t know whether to find a punch like tool and try to force it out from the front or if part of the FP retainer pin is lodged in the FP channel preventing the pin from coming out. I’ve tried needle nose pliers and the pin clearly rotates in the channel but will not extract. I know the pin ya broke internally bc I can see it with the extractor removed that the pin isn’t moving when pushing the pin from the rear unless completely depressed and doesn’t move when pliers are attached to it from the rear. The break is more rear wards explaining the inconsistency in firing.

What bolt do you have?

11 hours ago, Nonka106 said:

Pictures?

You have to be able to replace a broken firing pin...  If for some odd reason you can not replace the firing pin, it's time for a new bolt...  If it's this much trouble, I might replace it anyway.

I think my issue is finally fixed. I tried a CMMG firing pin and ran 210 rounds through my gun. Primers all look great and the pin has 0 chewed up issues like the previous pins.

CMMG pin which has more rounds on it than all my other pins

553b4b84c2c0e755943c471ae6281d2c.jpg

Other pins both with less than 200 rounds on them

c792c0eed2490e6f6007247ae6587dc6.jpg

For whatever reason this CMMG pin works better with my bolt.

Glad you got everything working...  The CMMG firing pins rock.

FWIW, the firing pin hole in my Taccom Extreme bolt got enlarged a bit by broken firing pins, too...  Tried to scrape off some of the burrs surrounding the hole, but the metal seems to be pretty hard...  My rifle still shoots well, so I'm currently leaving it alone...  Would like to buy a second, spare bolt.

1 minute ago, RaylanGivens said:

Glad you got everything working...  The CMMG firing pins rock.

FWIW, the firing pin hole in my Taccom Extreme bolt got enlarged a bit by broken firing pins, too...  Tried to scrape off some of the burrs surrounding the hole, but the metal seems to be pretty hard...  My rifle still shoots well, so I'm currently leaving it alone...  Would like to buy a second, spare bolt.

I checked mine out as well, I was worried about that, it looks fine and shoots well, so time to grip it and rip it lol

• 2 weeks later...