Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Mag Capacity Change

d_striker

AIWB is already legal in several divisions. Open, limited, revolver, although I've only ever heard of it used in limited. 

46 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

I'd be okay with this if you could still be DQ'ed for pointing the gun at yourself anytime during the draw, including when first making contact with the gun in the holster.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mreed911 said:

I'd be okay with this if you could still be DQ'ed for pointing the gun at yourself anytime during the draw, including when first making contact with the gun in the holster.

You can point the gun at yourself on the draw now. Last time I checked that was legal. 

I'd take that if it held for owb holsters as well. I know with my aiwb rig I am Less likely to sweep any part of my anatomy than I am with just about anything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2017 at 5:54 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I think Stoeger nailed it on one of his add pages.

"You thought Carry Optics was for old guys that just wanted to put a dot on their production guns only to reload every time they move. Well, you were wrong, Carry Optics is now for poor people that don't have the scratch for a proper open gun."

or people that think open guns are loud and impractical.

I expect the capacity change (in combination with the us military choosing SIG) is going to make this a pretty popular division.

54 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

or people that think open guns are loud and impractical.

Would be really nice if it cut back on the number of open shooters that you have to r.o. .

It is kind of a tough spot, you hate to double plug as an r.o. for the scorekeeping and etc. but you know that you are hearing higher db's than is good. 

On 2/2/2017 at 5:13 PM, James_007 said:

Reading too quick. The weights posted were assumed adding 4 oz for optic. It appears they were trying to get the weight limit increased to include more popular production guns. Here are the pages of the proposal.

c7cbe1b60637263b19413204c523957a.jpg51d6337443fe556590bac578afaeb824.jpg

This is inaccurate. The Stock 2 can, by the skin of it's teeth, be CO legal. It requires some finagling but it's light enough. Barely. I have photos on my phone of a friend who's Stock 2 makes weight by 0.2oz with optic.

The Stock 3, with about 3/4" more barrel length and a full length dustcover & rail, is heavier than the Stock 2. Not lighter.

That's my primary production gun. There's no way you're getting one of these into C.O.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

45 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Yes, I hope so!  I hate ROing Open shooters with their obnoxiously loud guns :)

You guys must be really sensitive to sound.  I guess y'all don't shoot ARs, just soft little 9mm Production guns?

4 minutes ago, teros135 said:

You guys must be really sensitive to sound.  I guess y'all don't shoot ARs, just soft little 9mm Production guns?

Yes sound sensitivity certainly does seem to vary a lot in different people and apparently I'm bothered by loud guns more than others.  I shoot ARs plenty; I generally double up ear pro though.  But being right behind a gun shooting it isn't as bad; standing to the side of someone shooting an AR with a big comp is not enjoyable...

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This is inaccurate. The Stock 2 can, by the skin of it's teeth, be CO legal. It requires some finagling but it's light enough. Barely. I have photos on my phone of a friend who's Stock 2 makes weight by 0.2oz with optic.

The Stock 3, with about 3/4" more barrel length and a full length dustcover & rail, is heavier than the Stock 2. Not lighter.

That's my primary production gun. There's no way you're getting one of these into C.O.

If we don't change the weight ceiling, aren't we making this a "plastic only" division again? What optic & base pad combo makes weight in a Stock II? Just curious what combo he is using.  My LimPro with a Jpoint, dovetail mount, & Henning production basepads, & Scales grips weighs 44oz.  Henning extended pads would be over weight, I'd think. The Jpoint is all plastic, & adds 1oz. An RMR or Deltapoint would be heavier. 

This rule change with actually get people shooting in the division... I have seen two actual CO shooters that primarily shoot that division, we have more revolver shooters at our club than CO shooters. 

54 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

This rule change with actually get people shooting in the division... I have seen two actual CO shooters that primarily shoot that division, we have more revolver shooters at our club than CO shooters. 

The initial reluctance I heard was reliability of slide mounted optics (and some preferred  higher capacity as noted). Are reasonably priced and very highly reliable optics available ? 

Just now, IHAVEGAS said:

The initial reluctance I heard was reliability of slide mounted optics (and some preferred  higher capacity as noted). Are reasonably priced and very highly reliable optics available ? 

Good question!  I'd like to hear this, as well, especially experiences with slide-mounted RTS2s and Burris dot sights. 

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎03 at 10:11 AM, Southpaw said:

Fair enough, so then are you seeing a lot of folks using a Glock 34 MOS in a DOH holster for open carry? ;)

My comment has nothing to do with Glock, Glock 34, or any other specific make/model firearm.  It has to do with necessarily equating "Carry" and "Concealed Carry."  Some places, Open Carry is perfectly legal.  (e.g., In Alaska, I've seen folks Open Carry a 6" 629 ... Not all dangerous critters walk on 2 legs!)  The majority of Cops I know DO NOT carry concealed ... They carry openly.

My point is, the Division is "Carry Optics," not "Concealed Carry Optics."  That's all ...

Good question!  I'd like to hear this, as well, especially experiences with slide-mounted RTS2s and Burris dot sights. 

I have a slide mounted RTS2 on a CZ P09. With the new 140mm mag rule I am running 23rds. I have had zero reliability issues with the slide mounted optic. I am also running a reduced power recoil spring.

Several shooters in my area are running M&Ps, Glocks, & Sigs with optics from Leupold, Trijicon, and Burris. The only reliability issues are ammo related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

DeltaPoint Pro has come down a lot lately, a cheaper option may be the Vortex line of red-dots, particularly the Venom.

Edited by BritinUSA

I am a new shooter just getting started in USPSA. I have a XDM9 5.25 with a Venom.

Really do not care what they call the class. It is a chance to compete with what I have!

I always hear " what do we do to get new shooters in USPSA?". This is it for me!

I really want an open gun, but any competition shooting sport can be an arms race. This will give me a chance to get started with what I have. Then spend money on an open gun after I get things sorted.

This is still cheaper than F Class long range!

I took a Trijicon RMR2 off a rifle and put that on my CO gun. Not sure I'd drop the $700 of my own money for that as a pistol sight. The only thing the rmr has had is me needing to adjust the arm that holds the battery in place and clean the connection. It's been on almost a year, one battery change in that time just for insurance.

Spending my own money I'd probably go with a FF3 like I have on another gun or a Deltapoint.

2 years now with a Deltapoint (not Pro) I bought used. Sent it to Leupold (no charge) because the original owner buggered the adjustment screws. Took it off to change the battery before nationals last summer, didn't change zero.
Now have 2 more I found used for $2-300. Love that big triangle for these soon to be super senior eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk