Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Way to Clean the Lens on a Red Dot Sight?

RaylanGivens

Just started shooting Open with an RTS2 red dot sight...  My sight mount doesn't have a shield in front of the sight and some oil gets splashed on the lens...  What's the best way to clean it?

I've tried normal eye glasses cleaner and it doesn't do much...  I don't want to hurt the protective coating on the lens, but I want to get the oil off...

White vinegar is probably best. I have a small spray bottle of lens cleaner that I got at the camera store.

I apply it with a Q-Tip, then wipe dry with a Vanity Fair paper napkin. The Vanity Fair napkin won't scratch the lens.

Thanks for the good tips everyone...

I would have been afraid to use Hoppes #9...  Thought it might be too strong...  But had some laying around and tried it...  It worked well for removing the gunk, but leaves a bit of a cloud in some of the hard to reach places...

Think I will go for the white vinegar for the long run...  Sounds like it would be gentler on the lens coating...  Not sure what white vinegar actually is though...  Can I get it at a grocery store?

White Vinegar has acetic acid in it ! I'd be real careful using it near aluminum alloys- body/frame of C-More sights.

I use Isopropyl Alcohol Lens Cleaner Wipes on my STS and RTS lenses. It usually takes me 2x wipes to get it "good to go".

Pre-wetted alcohol lens wipes while at the range or match. 

Windex on a q-tip when doing a full clean. It takes a few cycles of wet/dry to get it crystal clear but it's mild and hasn't harmed any of my glass. 

I had bad luck trying solvent on an old slide ride lens. I avoid that now. 

Edited by theWacoKid

Make sure to wet whatever you are wiping the lens down with and not spraying whatever directly on the lens. If there are small scratches it can cause the spray to stay there. Also get some canned air and blow off the dust and debris before you go grinding it around on the lens.

idk exactly what it's called but I'm a medic for the film industry and I just get the spray and sheets the camera guys have.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:54 PM, echotango said:

When I finish a match, I wonder how I even saw thru it with all the oil/film that is on it.  You might have something there boyglock. 

Not my idea. Its been discussed here in some old threads. When I shifted from irons to reddot open div. I subscribed to it by taping the front of the lens in practice and even in matches. Some ROs who notice the tape gave quizzical looks after my run. Even now I revert to it from time to time to check if its still with me. The only downside is when shooting thru grills where I need to see thru the lens. Otherwise I think its faster not seeing thru the lens. 

Again sorry for the drift. 

Edited by BoyGlock

I leave mine pretty dirty, for the above stated reasons. Really only clean it when I'm showing the gun to customers.

Most people look at me like :blink: :huh: when I tell them I don't look through the RDS , I look at the target.

:lol: I can't explain it any better in person ;)