Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experienced with multiple brands of coated bullets?

IGOTGLOCKED

I just began shooting Acme coated bullets in the last few months. I was shooting X-Treme until they went up in price.These are the first coated bullets I've loaded and shot. I'm looking for top choice recommendations and results input from those who have used several different brands of coated bullets in possible consideration of changing.

Thanks in advance!

IGG

I have used the now defunct master-blaster bullets which were a polymer coated bullet. That type of coating worked well, but left a lot of residue in the barrel.

recently I have run several thousand bayou bullets. They ran well; however, they seemed to have some slight dimensional inconsistencies which forced me to case guage every round.

I have used BBI's for years.  They are consistant in quality and the owner supports the sport.  I am currently using 124 grain in my 9 major open gun and they have been performing well.  Makes major a lot easier than jacketed.  I also use them in 40 for limited.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Phillips said:

I have used the now defunct master-blaster bullets which were a polymer coated bullet. That type of coating worked well, but left a lot of residue in the barrel.

recently I have run several thousand bayou bullets. They ran well; however, they seemed to have some slight dimensional inconsistencies which forced me to case guage every round.

Thanks Jeff, I have heard that too...

14 minutes ago, TMcGowan said:

I have used BBI's for years.  They are consistant in quality and the owner supports the sport.  I am currently using 124 grain in my 9 major open gun and they have been performing well.  Makes major a lot easier than jacketed.  I also use them in 40 for limited.

Much appreciated, I'll check them out!

I was always happy with 135gr BBI's. Recoils like a 147 fmj at a much lower price.

I'm currently shooting the 150gr semi wadcutter (SWC) from Bayou and like it just fine. Recoil is hilariously soft out of my super-heavy Stock 3 over 3.0gr of Prima V...

But they actually weigh 146-148gr and don't punch holes in paper/cardboard that are any neater than a traditional round does.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just began shooting Acme coated bullets in the last few months. I was shooting X-Treme until they went up in price.These are the first coated bullets I've loaded and shot. I'm looking for top choice recommendations and results input from those who have used several different brands of coated bullets in possible consideration of changing.

Thanks in advance!

IGG

I have only ever used Bayou in coated bullets but I am happy with them. They do smoke some with titegroup, but not too bad. 124fp is my favorite, have also used 124rn and 135rn.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I was always happy with 135gr BBI's. Recoils like a 147 fmj at a much lower price.

I'm currently shooting the 150gr semi wadcutter (SWC) from Bayou and like it just fine. Recoil is hilariously soft out of my super-heavy Stock 3 over 3.0gr of Prima V...

But they actually weigh 146-148gr and don't punch holes in paper/cardboard that are any neater than a traditional round does.

Thanks Memphis, hope all is well!

Are there any I should stay away from?

IGG

10 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I've always liked Acme and BBI. 

Out of all the ones I've tried I like those two best. 

22 minutes ago, rdinga said:

SNS are my my current favorite. 

Thank you, any you'd recommend I stay away from?

9 hours ago, BikerJon said:

I have only ever used Bayou in coated bullets but I am happy with them. They do smoke some with titegroup, but not too bad. 124fp is my favorite, have also used 124rn and 135rn.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Acme smokes a little w/TG too but not bad...

I have used Bayou and they seem to smoke some. Lately, we have been loading Blue Bullets in 9mm 147gr, with Titegroup 3.4 gr for our Glock 34's and my son's DVC 3-gun. Really like these. Super accurate and no smoke. Very easy to load and crimp. One problem is you do get smurf fingers after loading a bunch of them.

gerritm

16 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Acme smokes a little w/TG too but not bad...

I like bayou too. 

I don't like Blue Bullets. It's not that I would stay away. I just would choose others first. 

Tite group makes them smoke more in my opinion.  

So, you might try another powder. If you're not tied to TG for some reason.  

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

I like bayou too. 

I don't like Blue Bullets. It's not that I would stay away. I just would choose others first. 

Tite group makes them smoke more in my opinion.  

So, you might try another powder. If you're not tied to TG for some reason.  

Not really tied to it but have a ton of it due to the price I bought it for. Was shooting x-tremes and no smoke. I guess it's just part of shooting coated...

5 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Not really tied to it but have a ton of it due to the price I bought it for. Was shooting x-tremes and no smoke. I guess it's just part of shooting coated...

I'm no expert but everything I've heard/read says that coated bullets smoke no matter what.  Using a hot powder like TG makes it worse. 

TG has been accurate for me. It's just dirty and hot.  I moved on to N320 and now Prima V.  Prima V is cheaper than TG. Clays was always good to me too!  Actually, Clays is probably my favorite. Or was. It got very difficult to find for a while and the stuff now may not be the same. So I've heard on the interweb.  

Buy a sample pack pack of BBI or bayous. I think you like them. 

Edited by B_RAD

Titegroup is the worst powder to use behind a coated bullet if smoke is a factor.

It actually isn't, for most people. Not unless the sun is behind your targets or you shoot indoors in poor ventilation. Lots of people shoot TG & coated without it bothering them.

I have no idea why, when other powders are superior in every way... but a lot of people seem attached to using titegroup.

All coated bullets smoke a little, and all coated bullets smoke a lot with titegroup behind them.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

46 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Titegroup is the worst powder to use behind a coated bullet if smoke is a factor.

It actually isn't, for most people. Not unless the sun is behind your targets or you shoot indoors in poor ventilation. Lots of people shoot TG & coated without it bothering them.

I have no idea why, when other powders are superior in every way... but a lot of people seem attached to using titegroup.

All coated bullets smoke a little, and all coated bullets smoke a lot with titegroup behind them.

Thanks Memphis, it's what was recommended to me by the distributor when I bought my 650 and I got such a deal on it I'll probably have enough to leave in my will!!!

Have a great weekend!

IGG

Not all coated bullets generate the same amount of smoke.  For example, the old Falcoated bullets generated no smoke at all (I don't use TiteGroup), plus they were 20~30fps faster with the same load than HiTech coated bullets were.

Of the ones that I have tried, I prefer the Precision coated bullets.  They are the most accurate coated bullet I've found to date.  I like Bayou bullets (except for the smell when fired).  The batch I received were very consistent.  I also have Acme and BBI on my shelf.  They are all good.  I still prefer the Precision Bullets.

I've moved away from poly coated bullets, because none except the Bayou with the bevel base will feed through my LnL bullet feeder die.  I've moved on to Rainier plated (when on sale) or X-Treme plated.  The Rainier are slightly more accurate in my pistols.

After reading Igo's last post above, I'll add:  I have two friends who shoot TiteGroup with lubed lead bullets.  When they shoot they generate an actual smoke screen.  It is literally astonishing.

Edited by zzt

I have also shot a lot of Precision in 45 and some in 9.  They were the older ones from the 90's and early 21st century.  And I'm not sure what the new coating is.  In 9 with 3N37, I got a little leading in a stock Glock 9 barrel but could only detect that with electric de-leading of the barrel.  I suspect the leading is because of shaving off the coating. Never had a problem in 45, even using TG.  And they were quite accurate and consistent.  When I get the chance, I'll look at the data I have on their weight distribution.  IIRC, it was excellent. Do you know what the new coating is and what it does?

lgh, I don't know what the new coating is.  It is propitiatory, and does not stink when fired.  The only bad thing about them, other than they won't feed thru my LnL feeder die, is they cannot be used in Open guns.  They recommend against it, but I had to try.  The flame in the ports and comp cut the coating and you get lead deposited in both.

Back from chopping wood.  circa 1997 (i.e. the old coating) I weighed 10 of the 147 gr to give 150 +/- 0.2%.  Dillon electric scale.

When I measure these days, I check parameters in addition to weight.  Have also checked seating depth based on avg case and bullet length for Bayou 147 using once shot Fed and Win cases.  Depth was consistent off my 650 using Redding comp seating die. Measurements made using calibrated, precise calipers. Not sure if my method of using average case and bullet parameters introduced systematic error that guaranteed I would not detect a difference in seating depth even if it were present.  Got other things to think about so I'm not losing sleep over it.:rolleyes:

Just saw your post.  I don't have or anticipate shooting Open so I'm off the hook there. I have a lot of the old stuff  - 9 and 45 -that I bought when things starting looking bad in 2008.  I'll have to shoot that up before I get the newer stuff and see how it works. Good thing it's fun shooting it up!

Edited by lgh

37 minutes ago, 57K said:

IGG, I've only used 2 so far, but used a number of different brands of hard cast. The polycoated are very little different, nit even in Brinnell Hardness, which is unfortunate.

The 2 brands I have used are from Blue Bullets and SNS Casting. A 3rd option would be included here but for 2 reasons: Missouri Bullet Co. is a bit higher, and if they could follow what they do in .38 Sp. with 12 BHN polycoated, the price difference wouldn't matter.

My favorite lead bullet styles are typically SWCs and for 9mm, I like 125 gr. RB-SWCs. Unfortunately, Blue decided to discontinue that style which prompted me to try SNS which a good forum friend had been recommending for several years. So far, and I load semi-progressive and not on a progressive press, the SNS have given great uniformity in OACL. Weights are consistent while they're about the best value I've found, so far.

blue bullets and SNS casting use different coatings.