Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 crankshaft screw sheared off

Well... this happened to me:

IMG_3418.jpg

Coincidentally, I was reading about this today in Mark 7's manuals, because I just pulled the trigger on one:

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 20.04.07.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 23.35.52.png

The same happened to a friend of mine last week. Also a Super 1050 and less than two years old. Mine is 5 months old and only 8,500 reloads done since I got it. I was going to adjust the bolt and it was already broken.

Thoughts?

Edited by NicoR
Add image.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking in the Instruction Manual and they list two different lengths for the 1/4-20. One says 1/2 and one says 5/8 for the bolt (13685)

I was also looking for a torque spec but didn't see anything, anybody know what it is?

Thanks  Matt

Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking in the Instruction Manual and they list two different lengths for the 1/4-20. One says 1/2 and one says 5/8 for the bolt (13685)

I was also looking for a torque spec but didn't see anything, anybody know what it is?

Thanks  Matt

In my case... and my friend's case too, it must've been over-torqued from the factory because we never touched it and when we did, they we're already broken.

3 hours ago, icestud said:

Thanks  Matt

Matt, I just added the machine's lower assembly diagram with the screw in question pointed in red. I did it when I posted the thread but forgot to add it.

I drilled mine out to 3/8. I don't recommend doing hat since the crankshaft is hardened steel. I bet it never breaks again though. 

Just a heads up, the machine sounded much more clunky right before the bolt broke. If the sound changes drastically, start investigating. 

Edited by mach1soldier

due to this thread i checked mine. ive sized maybe 3000 223 cases since new. aprox 6 months old. i reached around behind the press with an allen wrench in my finger tips, barely turned it (and i mean barely) and the screw head came off. really dissappointed in this press.

due to this thread i checked mine. ive sized maybe 3000 223 cases since new. aprox 6 months old. i reached around behind the press with an allen wrench in my finger tips, barely turned it (and i mean barely) and the screw head came off. really dissappointed in this press.

It is easy to take the screw out. First remove the "Carrier Cap" (Part #11010) and the screw should be visible. Then use a small flat screwdriver to turn it, you may need to use a hammer but it should be quite loose. After a couple of turns, the tip of the screw should come out and you should be able to take it out with pliers.

thank you. yeah i figure ill get the screw out. just aggravated with this thing. now broken screw, wouldnt index out of the box. other potmetal part on it has snapped, cant consistantly swage with it, instruction manual sux. easily the most expensive piece of equipment on my bench, and by far the most dissapointing.

thank you. yeah i figure ill get the screw out. just aggravated with this thing. now broken screw, wouldnt index out of the box. other potmetal part on it has snapped, cant consistantly swage with it, instruction manual sux. easily the most expensive piece of equipment on my bench, and by far the most dissapointing.

What is the problem with the swage function?

just cant get a consistant swage from it, and it smashes the flash hole burr down into the flash hole closing it off. granted i havent spent a lot of time working on the swage issue's. i have a go-nogo guage for primer pockets, and set in one place itll swage a couple fine, some wont pass the guage, and randomly burrs pressed into the flash holes. at first i though it was because multiple headstamps, but you can run 10 pieces of brass thru with the same headstamp and get the same results.

Of course it's gonna smash the flash hole burr...it needs to be de-burred first. If some have a burr and some don't that alone could cause inconsistencies in the swage.

If you are getting inconsistent swages, that would usually mean trying to do multiple headstamps or the hold down rod isn't screwed down far enough. The shell plate should not flex.

And using the go/no go gauges is a must.

imho

jj

• 7 years later...

best to grind head as far as u can without hitting bearing guide than use sharp chisel to remove rest of head use small punch to push shaft out opposite side than replace w grade 8 long bolt with nut on threads by head, screw into shaft and lock down with nut now u have easy access to service bearings when needed, forget trying to remove normally because it will just strip out