Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip for a 929

Drillbit

I posted earlier about cutting back the barrel on a 929 because of the balance. Now i'm thinking maybe a different grip would make a difference... Maybe some  "Big Butts."

I've tried a few different style grips,  the originals,  a set of JMs from my 625,  and a set of Ahrends Tactical w/ finger grooves. The Ahrends and the JMs are smooth wood and feel good in the practice draw but when on the clock I find them lacking. The "original" rubber grips with finger grooves seem to work good but I find my self re-adjusting my grip with my weak hand during the presentation.  

I have never handled a "Big Butt" grip so I'm really not sure about which one to look at,  wood or rubber,  finger grove or smooth.  I'm thinking maybe, smooth rubber. 

My hands are men's large, and my fingers are slender.  What are some recommendations?

After trying a couple of different grips I settled on smooth Big Butt with the finger groves. I have large hands with long fingers and they felt the most comfortable for me and my hand finds the right position every time.  The rubber grips and checkered wood grips stuck to the hand too much when transitioning for a re-load..  I'm new to the Revo game last year but it's what works for me...  Oh,. And yes, they are heavy......

image.jpeg

Re-adjusting your weak hand is more than likely related to how many reps you've got in with whatever grips you're using. Whenever I change anything on any gun, I have a mental break-in period.

As for what particular grips will work best for you, I don't know whether a bit more wood on the butt will make a difference for you. If you're hard up for weight, slugging the grips is an option with wood. That said, a handful of general criteria might give you some troubleshooting references. A grip must:

1. Allow you to comfortably reach the trigger, while
  2. placing the bore in line with your forearm on the yaw axis (at the very least), and
  3. not getting in the way of your moon clips, while
  4. allowing the rest of your hands to settle into the most stable position.

If you strong-hand load, then you may additionally find that wooden grips allow your paws to slip about quicker. I weak-hand load, so I prefer the tacky texturing of Hogue's rubber, but I'm also the kind of person who slathers my autoloaders with 80 grit. As a consequence of #4 above, I generally find that the finger grooves are not useful to me. When you hold your fingers tightly together, do they match the grooves, or do the grooves get in the way? Fortunately, the humble pocket knife can remedy this problem for you.

tl;dr: every revolver guy has a bucket of grips they don't use for a reason

I like these Hogue Round Butt to Square Butt conversion grips in G10.  Very grippy so works great in the summer if my hands get a little sweaty.  They work well for the lower recoil of 9mm minor PF, so I didn't bother going with a big butt style grip.  For major PF in my 625 and 610, they work ok, but I found the palm of my strong hand started to hurt after ~50 rounds, so I switched back to the stock Hogue rubber grips.  If I was going to compete with my 625, I'd probably try one of the big butt grips on it.

P9160006a.JPG

What hand do you stuff more ammo in with? I reload with my strong hand, so I prefer a smooth grip. the Jerry grips work well for me because I rebuild my grip every 6-8 rounds.

I absolutely detest rubber and finger grooves. I've never spent much time with the big butts so they feel strange to me. I prefer a smooth grip because it's faster to re-aquire my grip after a reload.

There's no magic bullet, pick something you like, and learn to grip the gun harder.

Revolvers, all revolvers, balance further forward than semiautos. They don't carry the ammunition in the grip. I think looking for a grip to change the balance of the gun is barking up the wrong tree. Grips provide a surface to hold on to and nothing more.

I reload with my weak hand.  With the extended cylinder release, I never have to change my strong hand grip at all :)

From the people I have talked to who use the big butt grips, it's not really a matter of changing the balance point of the revolver.  It's more that they feel they get more area to grip as well as being able to hook the little finger of their weak hand on something.  I've tried my friends 625 with a big butt grip.  It did feel like I was able to manage muzzle lift a little better.

I posted earlier about cutting back the barrel on a 929 because of the balance. Now i'm thinking maybe a different grip would make a difference... Maybe some  "Big Butts."

I've tried a few different style grips,  the originals,  a set of JMs from my 625,  and a set of Ahrends Tactical w/ finger grooves. The Ahrends and the JMs are smooth wood and feel good in the practice draw but when on the clock I find them lacking. The "original" rubber grips with finger grooves seem to work good but I find my self re-adjusting my grip with my weak hand during the presentation.  

I have never handled a "Big Butt" grip so I'm really not sure about which one to look at,  wood or rubber,  finger grove or smooth.  I'm thinking maybe, smooth rubber. 

My hands are men's large, and my fingers are slender.  What are some recommendations?

My first issue with my competition revolvers was muscle fatigue. Squeezing as strongly as possible, throught the course of fire, consistently in a few hours of the match became very difficult. My ego argued with me that I was a big strong man. However I use a keyboard and a pen as my major work tools all day at work. Artfully manipulating a 44 once piece of steel with speed and concentrated force needs lots of practice. My brother is a machinist making large aircraft parts using a 40 foot long milling machine. His hands are powerful from years of manually setting up the pieces, jigs, braces and blocks. I looked at his hands over a beer one day and realised I needed more strength. Regardless of the many grips I've bought (all available from USA, Germany France, including one custom made just to my hand, and the Smooth JM grip) I ended up just holding and pointing the gun. Speed and accuracy suffered. I had to get stronger. Here are the grip exercisers I bought:
https://fasttoys.net/ca/Heavy-Grips-Canada-Hand-Grip-Strength-Trainer-Six-Pack/
Buy and use these as a first priority?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried a few combos and the smooth wood Big Butt grips tend to work best for me.  Even when it's pouring rain they have enough grip to get the job done.  I would consider one with some texture or stippling but not with finger grooves, it just didn't work for me.

16 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

I reload with my weak hand.  With the extended cylinder release, I never have to change my strong hand grip at all :)

From the people I have talked to who use the big butt grips, it's not really a matter of changing the balance point of the revolver.  It's more that they feel they get more area to grip as well as being able to hook the little finger of their weak hand on something.  I've tried my friends 625 with a big butt grip.  It did feel like I was able to manage muzzle lift a little better.

This idea of  having a larger grip area is what I had in mind with the Big Butt but failed to explain that.

Also I think BrianB made a good point about grip exercises. I'm not the man I used to be. 

Any one else?  

Edited by Drillbit

I understand the difference in configuration.   What I'm asking is, what was the design purpose of the square vs the round?

Square was the traditional shape. Round butt has grown in popularity over the last 20 years because the conversion grips allow for more options.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

Square was the traditional shape. Round butt has grown in popularity over the last 20 years because the conversion grips allow for more options.

I was trying to find out if one had an advantage over the other for it's handling quality's.  

19 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

I was trying to find out if one had an advantage over the other for it's handling quality's.  

I think the round butt frame design is just more versatile.   The grip can be changed depending on the application, CCW (round butt) or hunting/competition (square butt).  The handling quality is subjective depending on what you like and the application.

• 2 weeks later...