Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SX4

SmCaudata

I'm looking to get started in 3gun this year. I've two of the guns. I know people say bring what you have, but my only shotgun is an over under with fixed chokes. Anyway, the new SX4 looks like it may be a good option. I've only been able to see one or two people comment on the old SX3 for 3gun. It looks like the new gun would need tube and port opening to be ready. At $400 less than the 1301, it provides for a lot of practice ammo. (Much less than an M2). I like the idea of a 26" or 28" anyway as I feel I could get other uses out of it if I wanted.

I guess I'm wondering if there are any sx3 people who still find that to be a good gun. Anyone that has handled an sx4 it would also be nice to hear from.

I definitely lile my SX3. It was my first purpose-built 3-Gun shotgun. It's nice and light and has always run very well. I had Briley open the loading port and add their oversize bolt-release button. They also added their extension because I was new and didnt know about Nordic, etc. Briley cut the barrel to 24" and installed their thinwall chokes.

I still have it and wouldn't hesitate to run it im a match, but I went to the JM930 as my primary because I was very easily able to get 2 of them set up to play for well under $2K. It's also nice that the 930 safety is in the same place as the 590 that I started competing with.

I definitely lile my SX3. It was my first purpose-built 3-Gun shotgun. It's nice and light and has always run very well. I had Briley open the loading port and add their oversize bolt-release button. They also added their extension because I was new and didnt know about Nordic, etc. Briley cut the barrel to 24" and installed their thinwall chokes.

I still have it and wouldn't hesitate to run it im a match, but I went to the JM930 as my primary because I was very easily able to get 2 of them set up to play for well under $2K. It's also nice that the 930 safety is in the same place as the 590 that I started competing with.

That's good to hear it worked well... The only thing I'm interested to see in person is the new oversized trigger guard. I wonder if it would affect loading.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Myself and my son ran SX 3's for a couple of years. Great guns, very reliable and soft shooting. Had the piston sealed and could run almost any loads. That said opening the loading port for quad loading is limited. When my son went to quad loading I had Benny at Triangle open up the loading port. The amount you can open it is limited due to the way the internal parts are located. He eventually went to a Benelli M2 for ease and speed of loading.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend buying some 12 gauge ammo and going to your local match. If it's anything like my area there will be people lining up to lend you shotguns if you let them know you're new and don't have one. That being said, inertia operated guns are by far the most popular in the sport for reliability reasons. So typically that tends to go in the direction of an M2, or at a lower budget the Stoeger M3000/M3K. But try out some guns and see what you think. But for $700 (which is the cheapest I saw SX4's online), you could get a pretty well set up M3000. For $850 you could get the gun with the whole MOA Precision race package on a Stoeger. Anyway. Welcome to the sport. :)

I run an SX2 that I love. I just handled the SX4 at the Great American Outdoor Show and was impressed. It needs a magazine extension and the port opened, but was a nice handling and fast swinging shotgun. If I was shopping, it would be high on my list. The SX2 is soft shooting and has been extremely reliable.

I'll remain intersted. In the end when I was shouldering various guns I ended up liking the Vinci the most and found one with the speedbolt and extended chokes. It was shooting 1 oz loads before it was really broken in. I did shoot some heavy hunting loads I had around... glad of don't need to do that a lot.