Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

There is your answer, nothing is completely still while shooting.

Smaller orbit/movement but still moving.

Target focus and tell your mind the dot moving is OK as long as it's in the A/middle of the plate!

I´m not talking about the micro movement, i´m aware that´s normal. 

It´s a little jump, dip or something when breaking the shot.

4 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

I’ve noticed that all striker fired pistols seem to torque a little. It used to bother me, but, now I just accept it.

Hammer fired pistols don’t, unless the operator pulls the trigger wrong.

5 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

Both of mine did this too. 

I think the design of the striker safety does it. Parts in the frame push up on it so when the firing pin lets go the slide in relation to the frame moves a bit. Not sure if its an issue when the gun is loaded though.

Try a snap cap or 2. 

yup, I have noticed that too with the Legion during dry fire.. My regular X-five does not do that for some reason. As I pull the trigger very slowly, the slide moves up a bit and when the striker is released, the slide moves back down. With a mag fully loaded with dummies, this disappears because of the tension from the ammo, holding the slide up. 

The entire slide will move when you drop the striker, loaded or not. Some people can't stand it but when it comes down to practical accuracy, you're not going to notice a difference nor are you going to see this movement when you are doing live fire. When I first noticed this on my P320's (it happens on all 3 of my X5's my P320C and my X-Carry) I was a little annoyed by it, but it has never caused me any problems while actively shooting it so I have just learned to ignore it during dry fire practice. 

4 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

yup, I have noticed that too with the Legion during dry fire.. My regular X-five does not do that for some reason. As I pull the trigger very slowly, the slide moves up a bit and when the striker is released, the slide moves back down. With a mag fully loaded with dummies, this disappears because of the tension from the ammo, holding the slide up. 

Interesting, I just tried with a snap cap alone and the slide still moves but with even just 1 round in the magazine and the 1 in the chamber the movement stops all together. I hadn't thought about the tension from the magazine. Makes more sense why my accuracy has never been effected in live fire!

2 hours ago, lcambre said:

I just received 2 TTI +2 base pads yesterday.  I tried them on 4 tubes. Two of them were too long and the other two just barely fit.  It looks like he is pushing enough that it is not 100% that it will fit.

That’s not good. How much longer were the other two compared to the others that fit or were the tubes not identical in length to begin with?

3 hours ago, lcambre said:

I just received 2 TTI +2 base pads yesterday.  I tried them on 4 tubes. Two of them were too long and the other two just barely fit.  It looks like he is pushing enough that it is not 100% that it will fit.

I would say that could boil down to variances in the magazines when manufactured. That and the upper end of the tolerances for both the basepad and the magazine came together at once. Not a big deal imo, if it’s only slightly off i would just sand it down some.

I don’t like the laser engraving they have on it anyways. I asked if they would sell me some without it so I could get my own engraving on it and they said no. Which is dumb imo because that’s one less step to get it out the door. Or heck offer to have a small engraving on the front or something if your brand is that important to you.

15 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

I made an 80% FCU and thought I botched it when I dry fired the first time because that was the first 320 I noticed the slide movement on haha. But once a mag is inserted it looks the same as any other.

6 hours ago, George16 said:

That’s not good. How much longer were the other two compared to the others that fit or were the tubes not identical in length to begin with?

I was at the range today and had an EGW mag gauge- all 3 of my 21 round mags fit with the TTI +2 base pads- and each one was a little

looser or tighter than the others!  

22 hours ago, AmarokTactical said:

Interesting, I just tried with a snap cap alone and the slide still moves but with even just 1 round in the magazine and the 1 in the chamber the movement stops all together. I hadn't thought about the tension from the magazine. Makes more sense why my accuracy has never been effected in live fire!

Sig used to mention a "pre-tensioned barrel" with the X-Five but I'm not sure that's done any longer, at least it's not obvious to me.  The top end of my older X-Five is rock solid and doesn't move at all in dry fire.  More recently I bought a second complete slide so I could easily switch for either iron sights or an optic, and the new slide is clearly not as tight as my original -- the slide does dip at the rear as the trigger is pulled.  

21 hours ago, George16 said:

I was trying them with the gauge.  It is just a tiny amount.  I am looking now at one of them and one side of the magazine is fine it is only the upper left corner that is too long.  I tried measuring the two with a caliper, but with the slope I couldn't get a consistent reading.

2 hours ago, lcambre said:

I was trying them with the gauge.  It is just a tiny amount.  I am looking now at one of them and one side of the magazine is fine it is only the upper left corner that is too long.  I tried measuring the two with a caliper, but with the slope I couldn't get a consistent reading.

Thanks.

Can you shave off a little bit to make it fit in the gauge? 

21 round mags with TTI base pads and a few file strokes to the rear of the feed lips (similar to what has to be done to 2011 mags occasionally)

fit the gauge and hold 23 , grams guts and followers. 

Ok, so I put a Legion grip, on one of my xfives, and shot one IDPA match with it.

Today, I butchered a holster, so I could fit an Xfive, with a green, Crimson Trace, railmaster in it.

I don't see as many advantages of a laser on a pistol, compared to a PCC, but, I thought I'd try it, just for kicks.

Imagine my surprise, when I turned it on, after installing it on the rail, and seeing the green dot, just below the red dot, at 10-15 yards.

Then, I decided to dry fire a little, and found AFTER I pull the trigger, the green dot is just below the red dot, but, when the pistol is cocked, the green dot is to the left of the red dot.

I can't FEEL any movement between the slide, and frame, but, apparently, there is.