BASE772

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some insight from IDPA on Facebook.
-------------------------

Sig P320 X-Five in IDPA

While IDPA does not normally comment on the legality of specific gun models, preferring to let the listed rule criteria do its job, there have been a few extra questions on the X-Five.

First, the P320 X-Five delivers with four 21 round magazines. While nice, these magazines when inserted make the gun too large to fit the IDPA box. You will have to purchase 10 or 17 round magazines to be legal for IDPA.
The X-Five is advertised as having a bull barrel. There is no rule against a bull barrel, only heavy or coned barrels.

The X-Five comes from the factory with an added magazine funnel. This funnel does fit the IDPA box and would be legal in ESP. However, this funnel would have to be removed to shoot the gun in SSP. It is a single Allen screw and can easily be accomplished by the end user.

The last issue revolves around the advertised “removable grip weight.” IDPA has reviewed the gun and come to the conclusion that this weight is an integral part of the grip from the factory and legal. The weight is not easily removed and reinserted by the end user without the possibility of voiding the manufactures warranty. It is not an “add on weight” as defined under rule.8.1.8. So the gun is legal as it comes with the factory weight. That being said, removing the weight and replacing it with a heavier weight would be illegal.

7 hours ago, BC27 said:

Would you happen to know if the X5 would be under 33.5 oz (Production legal) with one of those Tungsten rods?

Once you remove the stock guide rod you can still make weight in Production. 

I ran a tungsten guide rod and stock base pads in Production at the Mid Atlantic championship last week. 

3 hours ago, alma said:

Once you remove the stock guide rod you can still make weight in Production. 

I ran a tungsten guide rod and stock base pads in Production at the Mid Atlantic championship last week. 

It seemed possible, thanks for the confirmation. Just placed my order with Springer. Thanks!

I have the Springer Precision guide rod with a 13lb spring.  I am shooting 124gr FMJ bullets around 130000 power factor.  I had this same combination when I was shooting my Glock 34.

4 hours ago, S&W686 said:

I have the Springer Precision guide rod with a 13lb spring.  I am shooting 124gr FMJ bullets around 130000 power factor.  I had this same combination when I was shooting my Glock 34.

steel guide rod or tungsten? i am at about a 136 power factor. Was thinking to go with the 14lb to be safe but maybe i will just order both..

Cabela's has the adjustable LED RM06 model Trijicon RMR on sale for $349 on their website.... and if you can e-verify military get an additional 5% off..... marked out of stock but you can backorder at that price looks like.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TRIJICON-RMR-ADJUSTABLE-LED-SIGHT/2047219.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dtrijicon%2Brmr

Edited by sfinney

Ok, I received my spare sears to experiment with yesterday so last night I got to tinkering. I'm really happy to report that I was successfully able to reduce both the over travel and reset!  I don't have a way to measure the reduction exactly but I would say it has been reduced by at least 30%.  Everything I suspected worked exactly as I hoped.  So now my trigger breaks at clean 2.5 lbs with minimal over travel and a earlier reset.  I think it's an amazing trigger and I really can't ask for anything more.

edit: I was able to make the reductions by changing the timing on the sear. The sear resets much closer to the striker release now. This allowed me to add to the trigger stop reducing the over travel. Because the striker release and sear reset occurs So close to one other now, the dreaded double click is impossible to detect with even slow trigger pull.

Edited by BC27

Just got lucky and found a Romeo1. However, it's for the M1913 system. Bolts are too long to mount to the X5 slide. 

Anyone know the correct bolt length (Alma?)?  Im guessing around 10mm. Tried looking at McMaster but no M3.5x10.  Gonna try calling Sig tomorrow...  anyone know where I might be able to find ?

1 hour ago, sfinney said:

Any pics of the mods? How is it holding up to live fire?

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but I was thinking about possibly doing a tutorial at some point if people are interested.  I haven't had a chance to live fire many rounds just yet but I don't foresee any issues. I had done the same sear work on my VP9 and it's going strong thousands of rounds later.

I got my Springer tungsten guide rod and 1911 springs today.  I was hoping to make Production weight with it but unfortunately it's over by a good margin. It weighed in at 34.4 ounces with 17 round mags and stock base pads.  So just an FYI for those that want to use the X5 for production, might want to go with the stainless instead. 

3 hours ago, BC27 said:

I got my Springer tungsten guide rod and 1911 springs today.  I was hoping to make Production weight with it but unfortunately it's over by a good margin. It weighed in at 34.4 ounces with 17 round mags and stock base pads.  So just an FYI for those that want to use the X5 for production, might want to go with the stainless instead. 

Isn't factory listed weight 33.5oz? I'm working from memory here, so forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it that's the case then 34.4oz is in the ballpark as long as a guy was willing to run with stock base pads. Heck, depending on the base pads and how much they weigh a guy might be able to run them as well, though it would definitely be getting close to the 2oz overweight limit.

3 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Isn't factory listed weight 33.5oz? I'm working from memory here, so forgive me if I'm mistaken, but it that's the case then 34.4oz is in the ballpark as long as a guy was willing to run with stock base pads. Heck, depending on the base pads and how much they weigh a guy might be able to run them as well, though it would definitely be getting close to the 2oz overweight limit.

Yes, Production is 33.5oz.  I didn't realize there's a 2oz overweight allowance.  If so, disregard!  

I too am fascinated with your trigger work. But I do question the wisdom of this...

On 6/20/2017 at 10:28 AM, BC27 said:

At the same time, I found that using just one of the two sear springs provided enough sear return weight while knocking off trigger pull weight.

Aren't you concerned that removing one of the springs entirely will introduce lateral torque on the sear? I'm not sure if this would eventually cause uneven wear but, because I'm not sure, I would probably not do this. Grayguns solves this by using two reduced weight springs. This is the preferred method IMHO. But I welcome input from those who know more on the subject. Is my concern overstated?