Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

You guys are crazy to buy $500 grip and $300 weights for an $800 gun. The added weight IMHO will not make you any %closer to winning a match. But hey if you got the cash burning a hole in your pocket then by all means....

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my tungsten cubes and my grip modules this evening. I've got 8oz of tungsten added to the grip, widening it a bit. It went together just as I planned, the 4.8mm cubes are perfect for what I was looking for. After the epoxy cures, I'll get some photos of it on here. Super stoked, it worked exactly as I imagined it would!

I did reduce it a little, but the material really likes to melt so I didn't take off much. I added the epoxy and cubes and let it set. After it set I added some epoxy putty to smooth things out a bit around the edges. I left a gap for easier for access to the mag release and left room on the grip for my fingertips.  I followed up with more epoxy and grit for the finish. The tungsten acts as a nice palm swell for me; I have always liked the bulky Hogue overmold grips on my P226 and that's what this feels like in terms of size.  There is some room to put a little weight in the dust cover but I think I am going to go with a tungsten guide rod for the extra 2oz up front. 

Edited by AmarokTactical

On 8/7/2018 at 7:49 PM, Sergio10 said:

I have the X5 grip. Talk about a game changing difference. With the added weight it completely changes the way the gun handles. With out the weight the gun seems too heavy. It’s a perfect balance for the gun. I absolutely love it and if you don’t have one we’ll go get one. 

Any chance you could post a pic of the grip with a mic on it or just measure the length and width with a mic?

My replacement sear came in from Gray Guns, today. It is much improved. The trigger is still around 3.25lbs, but smooooooth. The 'sticky' feeling, at the beginning of the stroke, is gone!

Thank you, Gray Guns, for replacing the faulty part.

Thanks, Alma Cole, for your great tutorial.

Is the stock sig x five barrel really a bull barrel?

from what I understand from reading other threads that a  Bull barrel = heavy, cone shaped and no bushing. So why is the x five barrel just straight? I have a tanfoglio stock 2 and its a bull barrel and it’s cone shaped and so is the barrel on my sti edge 40. My tanfoglio stock 3 has a straight barrel and is said to be a standard barrel. Which makes me think that the xfive has a standard barrel since it’s also straight. 

And, if we really want a bull barrel. Bar sto offers a bull barrel for the x5. but what really is a bull barrel in regards to this pistol. Im not spending another $230 and getting a straight barrel... I’m getting lost. Help! LoL 

Edited by Gviz

12 hours ago, Gviz said:

Is the stock sig x five barrel really a bull barrel?

A bull barrel just has thicker walls. Essentially when it heats up it dissipates the heat more effectively and keeps the barrel straight. The X5 has a bull barrel, it is thicker than the normal 320s. 

This is what happened to my optic shooting it for one year using  147gr 130-133PF with 14lbs spring. Colored all the bear metal with a sharpie and switched to a 13lbs regular spring and that solved the problem! No more brass hitting the optic! 

Should’ve done this a long time ago. I’m still lucky the glass is intact ?

9166229B-202A-4896-8999-2E8BDEBFAC2F.jpeg

Edited by Gviz

Bought my Romeo1 in June and after only 250'ish rounds mine cracked on the right side.  Never dropped, traveled in foam case,  only evident damage was brass hitting optic.  I've been using a 15lb recoil spring that came with my Gray Guns guide rod.  I did test with a 13 and thought the 15 felt softer anyways.  Seems odd,  but I'm curious if I need to go back to the 13lb like the post above to keep the brass from hitting the optic? 

20180813_103411.jpg

Edited by Crash_Pro

On 8/10/2018 at 5:22 AM, B585 said:

Any chance you could post a pic of the grip with a mic on it or just measure the length and width with a mic?

1.775'' wide, 2.165'' front to back on the grip. 

I also just got my Springer tungsten recoil guide rod and the total weight is up to 43.5oz with an empty magazine. I don't think I'll be adding anymore weight. I used the grip at the IL Sectionals last weekend and I can honestly say that I did not notice much of a difference in how the gun shot. Hopefully some time at the range this week will change my opinion, but I'm certainly happy I didn't drop $500 on the changes.

Edited by AmarokTactical

On 8/7/2018 at 7:49 PM, Sergio10 said:

I have the X5 grip. Talk about a game changing difference. With the added weight it completely changes the way the gun handles. With out the weight the gun seems too heavy. It’s a perfect balance for the gun. I absolutely love it and if you don’t have one we’ll go get one. 

Thanks for the feedback.  The weight is less of a concern for me, but the size is very important.  With the standard X 5 grip, I can’t fit my support hand on the grip very well.  With those dimensions, I think I would be good to go.  Thanks again for taking those.

3 minutes ago, B585 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  The weight is less of a concern for me, but the size is very important.  With the standard X 5 grip, I can’t fit my support hand on the grip very well.  With those dimensions, I think I would be good to go.  Thanks again for taking those.

You could always just build up the grip with epoxy putty like I did for my non-weighted grip. Then just add glue and grit to the top for the aggressive texture. It works very well at increasing the size and is extremely easy to do. If you wear gloves and then grip it firmly with the soft putty on there, you can form the putty to fit your hand perfectly. Apoxie Sculpt is what I used and it was really nice to work with. 

7 minutes ago, AmarokTactical said:

You could always just build up the grip with epoxy putty like I did for my non-weighted grip. Then just add glue and grit to the top for the aggressive texture. It works very well at increasing the size and is extremely easy to do. If you wear gloves and then grip it firmly with the soft putty on there, you can form the putty to fit your hand perfectly. Apoxie Sculpt is what I used and it was really nice to work with. 

Thanks for the tip.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:31 PM, Gviz said:

This is what happened to my optic shooting it for one year using  147gr 130-133PF with 14lbs spring. Colored all the bear metal with a sharpie and switched to a 13lbs regular spring and that solved the problem! No more brass hitting the optic! 

Should’ve done this a long time ago. I’m still lucky the glass is intact ?

9166229B-202A-4896-8999-2E8BDEBFAC2F.jpeg

What was this mounted on? I see it has a picatinny rail mount, so assuming this was not on an X5?

On 8/13/2018 at 10:38 AM, Crash_Pro said:

Bought my Romeo1 in June and after only 250'ish rounds mine cracked on the right side.  Never dropped, traveled in foam case,  only evident damage was brass hitting optic.  I've been using a 15lb recoil spring that came with my Gray Guns guide rod.  I did test with a 13 and thought the 15 felt softer anyways.  Seems odd,  but I'm curious if I need to go back to the 13lb like the post above to keep the brass from hitting the optic? 

20180813_103411.jpg

I feel your pain. I've cracked 4 of them so far, 2 on my P320 X5. IMO, an optic that can't take getting hit by ejecting brass should not be on the market. And I don't think that is what is cracking them. Sig has just had issues with glass cracking. They said the glass was under too much tension at first, so they redesigned it. But my latest cracked one was their new gen 5, which is suppose to be more robust. The only Romeo 1 I have NOT had crack so far is an older gen on my EDC P320C RX. The replacement on my FS P320 RX, which is also a gen 5, has not cracked yet through 700 rounds, but it's not the original on that gun.

I have a 6moa R1 on my X5 that has about 600 rds. on it. The only marks are from the cover sliding on it, they are the same all the way across the top of the front of the lens frame. I'm using a 12.5# ISMI 1911 recoil spring on a steel Springer rod. Fingers crossed, I love this combo.

The R1 on my compensated X-Carry slide has over 2,000 rounds through it so far without issue. Some cosmetic scratching of the anodizing on the front of the shroud, but no real problems to speak of. That said I have still ordered the additional steel shroud kit (which Optics Planet said should ship by the end of this month...) just in case

Edited by Rudukai13

5 hours ago, OPENB said:

I have a 6moa R1 on my X5 that has about 600 rds. on it. The only marks are from the cover sliding on it, they are the same all the way across the top of the front of the lens frame. I'm using a 12.5# ISMI 1911 recoil spring on a steel Springer rod. Fingers crossed, I love this combo.

what load are you using?

8 hours ago, jejb said:

What was this mounted on? I see it has a picatinny rail mount, so assuming this was not on an X5?

This romeo 1 was mounted on a sig xfive. 

I apologize jejb for any confusion. Yes, that’s a picatinny rail mount. I put it on there because I wanted a secure way to hold it while I painted it.