Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

Has anyone had luck installing Talon skateboard grip tape on their x5? I place a lot of pressure on my grip and the tape starts migrating after a few hundred presentations. I clean thoroughly, place and apply heat and pressure. It moves at the bottom of the backstrap and the top of the support hand side.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, CDRNorth said:

Has anyone had luck installing Talon skateboard grip tape on their x5? I place a lot of pressure on my grip and the tape starts migrating after a few hundred presentations. I clean thoroughly, place and apply heat and pressure. It moves at the bottom of the backstrap and the top of the support hand side.

Nope, no luck using grip tape. I have sweaty palms and any type of grip tape would shift on my grips sooner or later and would leave a messy chunk of glue. 

I had my grips done by alma cole he did a silicone carbide with aggressive texture and it’s been awesome and holding up really well. This is the best solution for me. Try it out you won’t regret it. Cheers! 

3 hours ago, CDRNorth said:

Didn't work for me and kept slipping as well. The Houge rubber grips aren't enough grip for me either. I am getting ready to tackle the job of stippling my x5. I will try to post pics when I am finished.

Honestly with all the more permanent solutions there are to grip friction these days (stippling, silicon carbide, etc) I'd say any kind of semi-permanent solutions like grip tape aren't worth the hassle anymore. Find a stippler that you like and send the grip module off to them

33 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

Didn't work for me and kept slipping as well. The Houge rubber grips aren't enough grip for me either. I am getting ready to tackle the job of stippling my x5. I will try to post pics when I am finished.

I look forward to seeing it.

4 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

Honestly with all the more permanent solutions there are to grip friction these days (stippling, silicon carbide, etc) I'd say any kind of semi-permanent solutions like grip tape aren't worth the hassle anymore. Find a stippler that you like and send the grip module off to them

I agree. I am interested in is the silicone carbide treatment. However, I don't want to give up my frame for any more than a few days.

I would like to do my own, but doing the reduction well enough is something I don't think I am prepared to do. Anyone know of a really good tutorial?

1 hour ago, CDRNorth said:

I agree. I am interested in is the silicone carbide treatment. However, I don't want to give up my frame for any more than a few days.

I would like to do my own, but doing the reduction well enough is something I don't think I am prepared to do. Anyone know of a really good tutorial?

You could order a replacement X-Five grip module, and then send that out to get done up. You'd still have your current grip module while the other one was being stippled/gritted.

In stock right now at Sig's website;

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-x-five-full-size-grip-module-9mm-40-auto-357sig.html

14 hours ago, CDRNorth said:

I used BSI IC-2000 rubber infused super glue to keep my Springer Precision panels from sliding around. I used BSI Un-Cure to cleanoff all the adhesive when I replaced my first set of SP granualr grips. You can buy this from Dawson Precision, your local specialty hobby shop might carry it as well.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hardware/un_cure.html

21 hours ago, CDRNorth said:

When applying Springer grip tape I clean, use a heat gun, etc....what I’ve had to do to keep it from sliding around is apply some Gorilla Glue to the edges. That has kept it in place even in hot weather, and me really torquing the crap out of the grip. I imagine the same thing would help the Talon tape to stay put too.

54 minutes ago, BillGarlandJr said:

That looks great. What tip did you use?

Thanks! I bought an iron from amazon that had 5 different tips. I used the largest circle tip that was a little angled.

19 hours ago, CDRNorth said:

Alma Cole has a good grit and glue tutorial on YouTube. It is pretty straightforward and doesnt take much time to complete. I dont think any stippling or grip tape comes even remotely close to the grip you get with the 36 grit silicone carbide. It also sparkles like glitter so that's a plus! Here is mine:p2er7l7.jpgaLcoVwi.jpg

9 minutes ago, vnboileau said:

I just picked up an X5 in a trade and would like to try it out with an optic. 

Without doing any further milling, my only option is a Romeo1?

You can purchase adapter plates from Springer Precision to fit other optics on it. 

22 hours ago, sfinney said:

If you order one without the weight and magwell its even cheaper. You could always transfer that's stuff later. $65

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-grip-module-for-p320-x-series-9-40-357-full-size.html?_iv_code=SD9-G6-GROFU-GRIP-MODX-F-943-M-BLK

Don't for get that the X-Carry grip doesn't have the full rail on it. It seems to be an identical grip but it's chopped for Carry/Compact length slides. It will function the same, of course. 

45 minutes ago, mikek2111987 said:

Hey x5 friends with a GG trigger job, what causes the crunchy/mushy feeling as you are pulling the trigger? Going to get into it soon and start polishing 

14 hours ago, bossgvr4 said:

I used BSI IC-2000 rubber infused super glue to keep my Springer Precision panels from sliding around. I used BSI Un-Cure to cleanoff all the adhesive when I replaced my first set of SP granualr grips. You can buy this from Dawson Precision, your local specialty hobby shop might carry it as well.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/ic_2000.html

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hardware/un_cure.html

Thanks for the info.

7 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

When applying Springer grip tape I clean, use a heat gun, etc....what I’ve had to do to keep it from sliding around is apply some Gorilla Glue to the edges. That has kept it in place even in hot weather, and me really torquing the crap out of the grip. I imagine the same thing would help the Talon tape to stay put too.

I will keep it in mind, thanks.

52 minutes ago, mikek2111987 said:

Hey x5 friends with a GG trigger job, what causes the crunchy/mushy feeling as you are pulling the trigger? Going to get into it soon and start polishing 

I have read that GG had a problem with some of the sears. They are telling people that they can return them, and they will send them a new one.