Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

3 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

I wonder if its the same issue I had with it being a little rough or some sort of notch/groove at the base of the sear. As I mentioned, taking a little of the sharp edge off the striker hook solved it for me. 

I wondered that when I read your post. If you ever take yours apart again, I would love to see a pic of what you are talking about as I am having a difficult time picturing what you mean by striker hook.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

My only worry that with the change  in sear angle and lighter springs the change in geometry caused by the bar might cause the sear to release unexpectedly/too soon. I’ll probably start with using the heavier stock springs just to keep it engaged a little more solidly for the first test then try the lighter springs if all goes well (if needed.)

With my Apex kit, the pre-travel bar came with a spring. The GG kit did not come with one. I wonder if it would help to install that spring?????

16 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I wondered that when I read your post. If you ever take yours apart again, I would love to see a pic of what you are talking about as I am having a difficult time picturing what you mean by striker hook.

The corner there was quite sharp. I didnt do so much as to really change it or round it off. Just a few light strokes followed by some mothers polish to take the edge off. Like I said, mine actually made an audible and tactile click upon initial trigger press as that edge first broke free from the bottom corner of the sear face. 

7061BDCD-9F16-4668-A01B-E1C92C33E856.jpeg

Edited by Daemunx1

5 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

With my Apex kit, the pre-travel bar came with a spring. The GG kit did not come with one. I wonder if it would help to install that spring?????

I assume you mean the spring that comes with it for the apex version of the overtravel stop? I dont have but I think thats just to keep it from rattling around freely. Perhaps another owner can confirm. 

3 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

The corner there was quite sharp. I didnt do so much as to really change it or round it off. Just a few light strokes followed by some mothers polish to take the edge off. 

7061BDCD-9F16-4668-A01B-E1C92C33E856.jpeg

Gotcha. You didn't change the part you circled though, did you? Are you just saying that  corner seems to be too sharp for the part in the GG kit?

Right, Didnt replace it or use a stone on it so much as to change any angles or remove a lot of material. Just softened up the sharpness of the edge that was grabbing into the sear. I probably could have taken some polish to the base of the sear face but its a lot harder to get into that little corner than it is to touch up an edge. 

Edited by Daemunx1

Just now, Daemunx1 said:

Right, Didnt replace it or use a stone on it so much as to change any angles or remove a lot of material. Just softened up the sharpness of the edge that was grabbing into the sear. 

OK. Thanks for the info. I would love if that would fix it. Def don't want to take everything apart again.

Looking again at the sear, I can see a very fine hair line at the base of the sear face where the 2 angles come together. I can’t catch it on camera with a cellphone but it looks like whatever implement they used to polish it just didnt quite reach 100% into the angle. Its like the finest of hair lines but with how sharp the strikers edge was it was enough to catch on it. 

Edited by Daemunx1

20 hours ago, AmarokTactical said:

I am having an issue with my X5 where it doesn't fully return to battery unless it gets the full power of the spring pushing it forward. It just hung up just before returning to battery and needs a little push to get there. I've tried to figure out where it is rubbing to cause this issue but I cannot figure it out. Does anyone know what part causes this problem and/or how to remedy this?

I had this both when it was brand new and after sending it in for the upgrade. When it was new, the ramp on the bottom of the barrel was where the friction was. After some grease and a few hundred rounds, it eased up.

After I got it back from the upgrade, it was worse than it was new. Luckily, I had an RX and another 320 and could do some comparisons of FCU, slide, striker etc. Turns out that the new X5 striker (even though they said it wouldn't need one) was binding as the slide came back into battery and cocked the striker. It smoothed out after a  couple hundred rounds. If it hadn't, i was going to call customer service. If you can swap out the striker / slide with another to test, you might find the same thing. That striker still doesn't cock as smoothly as the others but it's fine under slide movement from full slide lock.

21 hours ago, AmarokTactical said:

I am having an issue with my X5 where it doesn't fully return to battery unless it gets the full power of the spring pushing it forward. It just hung up just before returning to battery and needs a little push to get there. I've tried to figure out where it is rubbing to cause this issue but I cannot figure it out. Does anyone know what part causes this problem and/or how to remedy this?

Very common for new X guns. It's due to the pretensioned barrel. It's mostly on the top of the front of the barrel. Lube the barrel up good and go shoot. Mine was broken in and went into battery easily after 1000 rounds or so. 

Is yours showing 43.55 oz,  if I am reading your scale right?

What's interesting, the difference?  I see different basepads... are you using the same guide rod, springs, followers... etc? Scales out of calibration? Helium in the grip?

Guns are within a half ounce of each other, on different scales.

Just now, sfinney said:

Is yours showing 43.55 oz,  if I am reading your scale right?

What's interesting, the difference?  I see different basepads... are you using the same guide rod, springs, followers... etc? Scales out of calibration? Helium in the grip?

Guns are within a half ounce of each other, on different scales.

Have you weighed yours?  Mine weighs the same on several scales.  

1 hour ago, alma said:

Very common for new X guns. It's due to the pretensioned barrel. It's mostly on the top of the front of the barrel. Lube the barrel up good and go shoot. Mine was broken in and went into battery easily after 1000 rounds or so. 

I originally thought that it just needed to be broken in but I have shot 4,000 rounds through this one already and do put oil on that part of the barrel. I will put a note in with my X5 when I ship it back to SIG for the voluntary upgrade and maybe they can address it. 

I think you missed my point (and I'm missing yours). I'm not saying your gun could weigh half an ounce different depending on which scale you use.

I'm saying comparing your gun's weight to someone else's weight, based on a pic is probably not going to yield identical results depending on manufacturing tolerances, parts,  etc. No two guns are identical. I'm saying within a half ounce for two different guns is pretty close not knowing the variables of all the different parts in the guns, when they were manufactured, etc. 

1 minute ago, sfinney said:

I think you missed my point (and I'm missing yours). I'm not saying your gun could weigh half an ounce different depending on which scale you use.

I'm saying comparing your gun's weight to someone else's weight, based on a pic is probably not going to yield identical results depending on manufacturing tolerances, parts,  etc. No two guns are identical. I'm saying within a half ounce for two different guns is pretty close not knowing the variables of all the different parts in the guns, when they were manufactured, etc. 

I think you are missing my point.  LOL  A stock X5 weighs 16-18 oz LESS than the one pictured

Ah, now I get your point. ? Thanks for clarifying. Little dense sometimes.

So a stock X-Five weighs 27.5 ounces? (43.5 - 16)

Official weight on the Sig site says 35.6 ounces. 

(I do have an X-Five, just never weighed it... its a little heavier in the nose than my P320 full size, by feel, but haven't weighed it either).

Not arguing just trying to understand the discussion...  ?

For what it's worth, my X5 is sitting at 34.5oz right now with R1 and empty factory magazine installed. I did add some epoxy putty to it for palm swells, so that probably added an ounce or so. 

qINCgR5.jpg

Edited by AmarokTactical

Obviously all of these weights are minus the steel magwell.

So what parts are going in to add the difference in weight between these different guns? A tungsten guide rod is only so much....