Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

6 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

Looking back at it it doesnt look like it does. Just a fixed sight. Kinda dissapointing. They limited sight options hard with that optics ready plate. It looks like the only option is to get a standard full size or vtac slide if/when they ever offer them seperately but even then I dont think the bull barrel would fit so the x5 is really stuck as is. 

I concur, no dovetail on the X-Carry slide plate either. You could swap the entire X5 top end to a standard or RX fullsize top end to get the dovetailed rear iron sight.

But if you're wanting to change the sight to a fixed duty rear sight anyway, I'd still suggest doing what I'm doing with my X-Carry; mount a Romeo1 on the X5 slide, use the built-in notch on the body of the R1 as your fixed rear iron sight, and just replace the fiber optic front post with a raised combat-oriented front post that properly co-witnesses with the notch on the R1. The dot is an asset on a duty gun just as much as on a competition pistol

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

I concur, no dovetail on the X-Carry slide plate either. You could swap the entire X5 top end to a standard or RX fullsize top end to get the dovetailed rear iron sight.

But if you're wanting to change the sight to a fixed duty rear sight anyway, I'd still suggest doing what I'm doing with my X-Carry; mount a Romeo1 on the X5 slide, use the built-in notch on the body of the R1 as your fixed rear iron sight, and just replace the fiber optic front post with a raised combat-oriented front post that properly co-witnesses with the notch on the R1. The dot is an asset on a duty gun just as much as on a competition pistol

The X5 slide front sight cowitnesses with the notch of the Romeo 1 so no need to replace it unless you don’t want the fiber optic front.

9 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

Cant shoot an optic in production or limited classes. 

5 minutes ago, George16 said:

The X5 slide front sight cowitnesses with the notch of the Romeo 1 so no need to replace it unless you don’t want the fiber optic front.

You're both correct, but right now we're discussing the context of someone using an X5 as a duty pistol - Meaning no class restrictions to observe, and a preference for a wider tritium dot front sight

3 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Hard to tell from pictures whether the X-Carry optic plate is dovetailed or not, I can tell you more definitively when I get home tonight.

That being said, since you'd be looking to replace the front sight with a more duty-oriented post anyway, why not replace the rear sight plate with a Romeo1 and get a raised front post, and use the notch in the rear of the R1 as your rear sight? That's what I'm planning to do with my duty-oriented X-Carry build

I wish I could! My department doesn’t allow use of the Romeo yet. 

I find 3 dots much quicker to aquire than the installed “competition” sights as well and dont particularly like the fibre front for indoor range shooting. Its basically impossible to swap the rear sight though unless they start selling the sight plate off of the x-carry. With one of those you could really put whatever you want on. ( I think... it has a standard dovetail groove doesnt it?)

I was actually just recently looking into narrower night sights for my carry gun. There are companies that do custom ones. So you could find a front sight, i even saw where someone had a front sight modified made to the minimum width for tritium according to the company (.110 i think), and then send them the rear sight (if they can do it) to put some tritium in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

I got a x5 last week. like many mine shot low.  about 5" low at 50 feet. seems to be a common issue  i called them about it and they said to send it in.guy on the phone said he never heard of this issue .  i asked about just getting a new front sight and they said there are no other front sights.  If i send it in and they determine that there is no issue they will bill me.   

Dawson said that warranty issues are warranted through Sig which i understand.     don't know how Valerko was able to get them to send a new sight for free.      i have owned glocks mp 2011 and others but this has soured me from Sig. 

So to get it right i need to spend $40 more :(  

I think I'd call back hoping to talk to a CS rep who was a little more sympathetic.

My impression of Sig's CS is positive and your experience is not what mine has been.

If for no other reason than to confirm the first person knew what he was talking about because I'm thinking he doesn't.

X5's shooting low with the factory set sights is a very common observation.

I'd give Sig another chance.

With respect to shooting low: Both of mine did as did those of two friends. In all four cases there was enough adjustment in the rear sight to get on target.

I think that is typical although I do recall one person online stating he had run out of elevation.

1 hour ago, MysterE said:

I wish I could! My department doesn’t allow use of the Romeo yet. 

Ah. Then I think your best choice right now is to either learn to be fine with the stock X5 rear sight, or swap the top end of the X5 for a standard fullsize 320 upper assembly. You'll lose .3" of barrel length, and the bull barrel, and the lightening cuts, but retain the trigger and the lower half of the X5

If your looking for a duty carry, I think you would be better off with the V-TAC instead of the X5; it's more suited to duty carry than the X5 with the flared mag well and sharp delicate sights that will cut you and/or break if they hit something. If I hadn't already committed to buying the X5 when it came in, I would have jumped on the V-TAC that came in the same day. I could have carried the V-TAC off duty, and competed with it, but only compete with the X5, I'm stuck with an issue Glock for work.

2 hours ago, BeltFed said:

If your looking for a duty carry, I think you would be better off with the V-TAC instead of the X5; it's more suited to duty carry than the X5 with the flared mag well and sharp delicate sights that will cut you and/or break if they hit something. If I hadn't already committed to buying the X5 when it came in, I would have jumped on the V-TAC that came in the same day. I could have carried the V-TAC off duty, and competed with it, but only compete with the X5, I'm stuck with an issue Glock for work.

Regarding the possibility of carrying an X5 for duty....I've been looking at that and I think a way to mitigate the chances of damaging the rear sight would be to put a shorter front sight on there, which would allow the rear sight to be screwed down and buried into the rear sight plate more, where it would be better protected. There's still the possibility of the rear sight blade being damaged were you to hit it on something hard enough, but Dawson's adjustable sights are pretty darn durable. I have an X5 I shoot in matches, and there is really nothing I dislike about it. It shoots and handles very well (the X series grip modules feel better to me than the standard ones), the stock trigger is good out of the box, and I like being able to really dial in the zero with the adjustable rear sights. Plus, its optic ready. We currently have some optic equipped pistols on the road for T&E, and based on the positive results we're seeing I think its only a matter of time before they are approved for use department wide. At any rate, prepping an X5 for carry on duty is something I'm going to mess around with here over the next few months.

Out of curiosity what type of organization allows its staff to randomly carry whatever pistol the individual officer wants? Seems like a disaster from a potential liability point in this day in age.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The town I grew up in did that, they would loan you one untill you were able to purchase one to carry. They may have had an approved list though. Most carried p226, p220 or p229 though

10 hours ago, jsykes said:

Just get the sights off the X-carry, they are the Sig X-ray night sights (which have the large front dot) and are attached to a plate that will bolt right in place of the X-five rear plate.  They both use the same rear plate design.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-x-carry.html

This sounds like a good idea, if you insist on the X5 for a duty gun, and certainly cheaper than buying a V-TAC if you already have a X5.

11 hours ago, jsykes said:

Just get the sights off the X-carry, they are the Sig X-ray night sights (which have the large front dot) and are attached to a plate that will bolt right in place of the X-five rear plate.  They both use the same rear plate design.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-x-carry.html

Could have sworn I posted this last night but as I mentioned before, if/when sig will sell this part. As far as I’m aware they dont and wont. 

5 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

Could have sworn I posted this last night but as I mentioned before, if/when sig will sell this part. As far as I’m aware they dont and wont. 

If Sig wont sell it to you directly, find a gunsmith with an account. They will sell a lot of parts to gunsmiths for work that they will not sell to the general public.  I work for a shop and have discussed this with them. I want the slide stop of a Legion 226 for my Elite as its a lower profile unit.  They will not sell this part separately, but said they will sell it to a smith "for them to install."

So if you cant get a Sig part, if you have a smith you're in good contact with, see if they can get it for you.

Hey Guys,

I have looked and haven't been able to find an answer, so here goes.

I see that on a 1911 you put the flat end of the recoil spring onto the guide rod. But the x5 is setup differently, should I put it no the same way?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CDRNorth

27 minutes ago, CDRNorth said:

Hey Guys,

I have looked and haven't been able to find an answer, so here goes.

I see that on a 1911 you put the flat end of the recoil spring onto the guide rod. But the x5 is setup differently, should I put it no the same way?

Thanks in advance.

Yes sir. That is what I did and have had no problem.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:55 PM, CDRNorth said:

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

No problem. Shot mine today and everything went perfect. I do put the stock rod/spring back in when it is in my nightstand, with the self defense ammo. I just use the other for my lighter reloads.

I used mine to qual for the nra basic pistol and instructor course this last week. I noticed it was shooting a little low and left and just compensated for it at the time. I’ll take it to the range and really focus on dialing it in since I THOUGHT it was dead nuts. I must have been jerking it or something last time. Thing is a tack driver though. 45ft and a 3 inch group. Can’t complain about that

2 hours ago, CDRNorth said:

I did the same with my  CZ.

Is your guide rod getting scratched up?

The stock one or the 1911 rod? Def not on the 1911 rod, and haven't noticed on the stock one.