Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

1 hour ago, bigeric said:

I have a P320 X5 and P320 RX full size. when swapping the FCUs, the lock-up is identical. The FCU rails and the slide's grooves are identical. The lockup difference seems to come from the bottom of the barrel block (ramp?) which results in less vertical play when locked up. 

Great. Thank you for the info.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/13/2017 at 11:18 PM, MadhatRR said:

Well, I measured my front sight and it's .235....

But seeing the post about making the Deltapoint fit got me thinking.

With a little dremel work I bet I can make my Vortex Viper fix...

It sure did! All I needed to do was knock a corner off. 

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4840.JPG

10 hours ago, IntenseImage said:

Unless I'm wildly off base, I think some of you have misunderstood the Apex Trigger Bar. It's meant to set the break of the trigger more forward ... Pretty damn sure it doesn't physically move the trigger more forward as some have suggested. In mine, with a PELT2 that Apex advises against using w their bar, the trigger now sits at the "wall" and breaks almost as soon as you pull the trigger and then stops pretty soon after. Prior, there was a good amount of takeup prior to the "wall"

Mine did add a little weight back to the pull (still under 4lbs) but the benefit of the shorter pull, closer break point, and shorter overtravel is worth the extra weight added back in

EDIT: NOT LOOSING MY MIND, per Scott Folk @ Apex, the bar does not change the reach of the trigger. The trigger is in the same forward position with Apex or SIG trigger bar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are correct.... it doesn’t physically move the trigger forward, it moves the point where the trigger breaks forward (hence my mention at degrees as to where it breaks). Having tension that far forward isn’t something I’ve felt on any other handgun before, doesn’t feel natural IMO.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:19 PM, texasdawg said:

I have had the same results as RJRacing with my X5. I have the GGI flat face pelt trigger and a really good polish job and minus one sear spring. I was at a nice 3.5 lb trigger pull and added the Apex trigger bar. It did push the trigger farther forward some and added .3 lb to the trigger pull. It felt gritty, but I polished the inside of the trigger bar contact surfaces and it felt better. I shot it in a match and it all worked and I will leave it this way,,, for now,,,

Thank you for this suggestion! I polished mine up and it dropped 0.2-0.3lbs too ??

Considering just getting a pelt2 and doing some light polishing as opposed to the entire comp trigger kit. My understanding is that the x5 already has a lower pull than the other 320’s so the sear and springs wont have as much effect on an x5 as others. Accurate or should I go ahead and wait for the full kits to arrive? Have also heard ppl talk about removing one of the 2 sear springs, concerned if it may cause offset, uneven wear and pull. 

Edited by Daemunx1

5 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

Considering just getting a pelt2 and doing some light polishing as opposed to the entire comp trigger kit. My understanding is that the x5 already has a lower pull than the other 320’s so the sear and springs wont have as much effect on an x5 as others. Accurate or should I go ahead and wait for the full kits to arrive? Have also heard ppl talk about removing one of the 2 sear springs, concerned if it may cause offset, uneven wear and pull. 

Not mine.

Out of all of the 320s I’ve played with, my xfive has the absolutely nastiest trigger!:(

On 2/27/2018 at 11:58 AM, BLUEPSTU said:

You can also bend your trigger bar spring to help get some of the weight down as well.

Thanks, I did this on day one too ?.

On 2/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, Daemunx1 said:

X5 and regular P320’s use the exact same FCU minus the flat trigger itself... so that wouldn’t be any different between the two

My error. I saw that GG says the pelt2 has a lesser effect on the x5. The fact that its the x5’s factory trigger that makes the difference certainly makes more sense. No one has concerns about offset wear when removing one of the sear springs? Seems GG’s full competition set has been delayed again. Every week its “next week.” :)

Edited by Daemunx1

I broke down last night and went ahead and ordered the pelt2 since they were in stock. On GGI's facebook it was mentioned that they plan on adding an option to get the rest of the comp kit minus what's included in the pelt kit seperately for ppl to upgrade without buying the whole thing so I figured wth. 

Broke the pistol down after a range session today and removed one of the sear springs. Break definitely seems lighter. My bigger issue with it now is the pre-sear takeup grittyness. I think its from the drop safety being lifted up out of the way as that feels a little rough and gritty when pushing it in and out with my finger. I'm hoping the improved geometry of the pelt2 will help with it a little. Anyone have any other suggestions for curing it? Other than a few thousand rounds ofc :)

That bit of pre-wall scrub is all thats keeping it from being a really nice trigger. Shooting quickly it's not an issue but with longer range slow fire it throws off my pull a bit.

Also went ahead and ordered a GG guide rod and a calibration spring set w 11-15# springs so looking forward to getting that thrown in soon as well.

Edited by Daemunx1

Decided to add a red dot and start shooting carry optics. The Vortex Viper was hard to beat at $175 new and after a just trimming the rear of it a little on a bench grinder, it bolted right onto the X5 with the hardware included with the optic. I really like it so far too, money well spent!

3eFoAyBm.jpg?1

zJHkV3lm.jpg?1

On 3/3/2018 at 9:55 PM, Daemunx1 said:

I broke down last night and went ahead and ordered the pelt2 since they were in stock. On GGI's facebook it was mentioned that they plan on adding an option to get the rest of the comp kit minus what's included in the pelt kit seperately for ppl to upgrade without buying the whole thing so I figured wth. 

Broke the pistol down after a range session today and removed one of the sear springs. Break definitely seems lighter. My bigger issue with it now is the pre-sear takeup grittyness. I think its from the drop safety being lifted up out of the way as that feels a little rough and gritty when pushing it in and out with my finger. I'm hoping the improved geometry of the pelt2 will help with it a little. Anyone have any other suggestions for curing it? Other than a few thousand rounds ofc :)

That bit of pre-wall scrub is all thats keeping it from being a really nice trigger. Shooting quickly it's not an issue but with longer range slow fire it throws off my pull a bit.

Also went ahead and ordered a GG guide rod and a calibration spring set w 11-15# springs so looking forward to getting that thrown in soon as well.

I just installed the GG comp kit and it is great.  I have an X5 and it still lightened the pull about 2lb if I had to guess.  I didn't measure beforehand but take up is a little bit shorter, reset is definitly shorter and there is zero over travel now.  While I had it apart I polised the trigger bar and the wall of the FCU it runs on.  

I did run into a gritty feal after installation.  After pulling the trigger and putting the FCU to my ear to hear what part the grit was coming from I realized it was the new sear.  I didn't lube it afte the install.  One drop of Lucas Oil and it is all gone.  I did add a small drop to all connecting points while I was at it since I gave it a good clean when I took it apart and all the grit is gone.  Might want to give the sear a drop of oil from underneath a try.

Def not the sear. Everything is well lubed and the grittyness comes during takeup before the trigger pressure ever hits the sear. I’ve polished up contact areas between the trigger bar and the fcu and that helped a little. You can feel the resistance pick up after pretravel and it feels a bit gritty, then it hits the sear. Theres a little bit of travel where you can feel the sear sliding down the striker engagement then it breaks fairly crisply. 

(Havent actually recieved the pelt2 yet, should be here friday)

Edited by Daemunx1

When you can find it in stock Grayguns now has a full drop in trigger kit for the post upgrade guns that includes a modified sear, sear springs, triggerbar spring, overtravel stop sleeve, and trigger. When measuring from the center of the trigger I went from 7lb 3oz to 3lb 8oz. It was under 3lb when measuring from the bottom of the trigger. Overall travel and reset are improvedm

Here is the install with weights taken at beginning and end. 

Have polished things up a little better and installed the pelt2 now. I’ve noticed now that I can see the sear beginning to move through the rear of the slide so what creep thats left is indeed comming from the sear and striker friction. Its surprising with how little engagement area there is to begin with how much pull is required in order to release the striker. I’m really spoiled by my powder river river trigger on my xd. It has an even larger contact area between the sear and striker yet it has much looser takeup with a solid defined wall and crisp break. Must have a lot to do with the geometry and how much sear movement comes from a given amount of trigger movement. At this point I’m just waiting for ggi to start selling the competition trigger parts seperately so I can pick up one of their sears. 

I also got my guide rod and spring set installed. Tried as low as a 12lb spring but had a fail to feed. 13 pounds fed ok but felt like the slide was snapping back too fast. I ended up stick with the 14# as upward recoil feels most natural and theres virtually no dip on recovery. Using 125 speer lawman factory ammo as I found it to be the highest grain/lowest power factor/lowest cost point I could get my hands on. Got 1000 rnds for $189. Certainly not match ammo but I’d rather be able to afford thousands of rounds of practice over overpriced ammo that isnt gonna make me a better shooter. 

On 3/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, Daemunx1 said:

Def not the sear. Everything is well lubed and the grittyness comes during takeup before the trigger pressure ever hits the sear. I’ve polished up contact areas between the trigger bar and the fcu and that helped a little. You can feel the resistance pick up after pretravel and it feels a bit gritty, then it hits the sear. Theres a little bit of travel where you can feel the sear sliding down the striker engagement then it breaks fairly crisply. 

(Havent actually recieved the pelt2 yet, should be here friday)

If the grittiness comes during take-up, it's likely the safety lever and striker safety interactions. Several months ago, on one of the forums, there was some info on where to polish to smooth that up but not sure how effective it was or if it covered all the necessary friction points. If you do experiment and find how to improve things, it would be great to hear the details.

Theres definetly some friction between the striker safety and walls of striker assembly. I plan to take it out and polish up the flats surfaces where they rub and see if it helps. The spring in there is tiny so I put off doing it till I got a pick set. I got that last week so perhaps later this week I’ll get around to it. 

On 3/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, bigeric said:

If the grittiness comes during take-up, it's likely the safety lever and striker safety interactions. Several months ago, on one of the forums, there was some info on where to polish to smooth that up but not sure how effective it was or if it covered all the necessary friction points. If you do experiment and find how to improve things, it would be great to hear the details.

Removed the striker assembly from the slide and cleaned out inside the housing and used a brush to clean up the assembly. Its was surprisingly dirty in there considering how long I’ve had the gun. Recieved a sample of lucus oils extreme and put a couple tiny dabs in the assembly and on the flat surfaces of the striker safety and that takeup grit is completely gone now. (Ordered some lucas oil, the difference between that stuff and a bottle of hoppes from wallyworld is substantial)

Only gripe remaining now is the amount of pretravel and lack of any real wall with a crisp break. As I mentioned in another thread you can feel the sear sliding off the striker then just feel it come free. Theres no solid wall feel just before break. Just a kind of smooth roll off. That combined with the rather long pretravel just makes for an odd feeling trigger. It almost feels like theres a neutral engagement angle between sear and striker as opposed to a positive angle. I’m planning now to try an apex trigger bar to reduce travel and see how that feels and (maybe) using a stone to add a very slightly more positive engagement. Dont really mind if the pull weight goes up a little. I would just prefer that snap at break instead of the rounded feeling. 

Edited by Daemunx1

1 hour ago, Daemunx1 said:

Removed the striker assembly from the slide and cleaned out inside the housing and used a brush to clean up the assembly. Its was surprisingly dirty in there considering how long I’ve had the gun. Recieved a sample of lucus oils extreme and put a couple tiny dabs in the assembly and on the flat surfaces of the striker safety and that takeup grit is completely gone now. (Ordered some lucas oil, the difference between that stuff and a bottle of hoppes from wallyworld is substantial)

Only gripe remaining now is the amount of pretravel and lack of any real wall with a crisp break. As I mentioned in another thread you can feel the sear sliding off the striker then just feel it come free. Theres no solid wall feel just before break. Just a kind of smooth roll off. That combined with the rather long pretravel just makes for an odd feeling trigger. It almost feels like theres a neutral engagement angle between sear and striker as opposed to a positive angle. I’m planning now to try an apex trigger bar to reduce travel and see how that feels and (maybe) using a stone to add a very slightly more positive engagement. Dont really mind if the pull weight goes up a little. I would just prefer that snap at break instead of the rounded feeling. 

After installing the GGI kit, I'd recommend their kit instead of the Apex bar. The overall travel is much shorter and the break is much cleaner and better.