Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

I just installed the Apex tactical trigger bar kit with the advanced flat trigger and can't believe the difference. Just the amount that it reduced over travel  makes it worth the money. Not to mention how it reduces the reset. Makes this x5 a whole new gun.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I just installed the Apex tactical trigger bar kit with the advanced flat trigger and can't believe the difference. Just the amount that it reduced over travel  makes it worth the money. Not to mention how it reduces the reset. Makes this x5 a whole new gun.

Sounds good. Have you had a chance to shoot it or just dryfire so far?

I just added the Apex FWD trigger Bar to the new GGI PELT2 kit and it works... but I don’t like it. It does exactly as it states, moves the trigger forward which removes take-up, but it moves it so far forward that it’s almost an uncomfortable long reach (I wear are size large gloves if that helps) and adds too much over travel, even with the spacer included. The trigger now breaks well before the normal/ideal 90*, it’s at about 105* and is the longest reach on any gun I have ever shot (I own a lot too lol). Worse part is that it actually adds to the trigger pull weight too and Apex put this disclaimer on the back of the package, I measured 0.3lbs additional weight with the GGI trigger and an additional 0.5lbs with the factory trigger. I’ll take it to the range on Monday to see if I can get used to it, but it may end up in the classifieds very soon lol.

0AC96898-7817-4170-B26D-F72B058FEEC8.jpeg

Edited by Rjracing

1 hour ago, Rjracing said:

I just added the Apex FWD trigger Bar to the new GGI PELT2 kit and it works... but I don’t like it. It does exactly as it states, moves the trigger forward which removes take-up, but it moves it so far forward that it’s almost an uncomfortable long reach (I wear are size large gloves if that helps) and adds too much over travel, even with the spacer included. The trigger now breaks well before the normal/ideal 90*, it’s at about 105* and is the longest reach on any gun I have ever shot (I own a lot too lol). Worse part is that it actually adds to the trigger pull weight too and Apex put this disclaimer on the back of the package, I measured 0.3lbs additional weight with the GGI trigger and an additional 0.5lbs with the factory trigger. I’ll take it to the range on Monday to see if I can get used to it, but it may end up in the classifieds very soon lol.

0AC96898-7817-4170-B26D-F72B058FEEC8.jpeg

You should have ordered the other kit. (Flat faces action enhancement kit.) It doesn't do the things you mentioned. Part #112-030

29 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

You should have ordered the other kit. (Flat faces action enhancement kit.) It doesn't do the things you mentioned. Part #112-030

That’s the exact one I have, only without their trigger (I’m using Grey Guns advanced flat trigger). I spoke with Apex Tactical before ordering and they said this exactly what the trigger bar is made to do, push the trigger forward to reduce takeup and mechanical throw with leverage... hence the name “Forward Set Trigger Bar” lol.  My trigger already pulls at a measured 2.9-3lbs with the GGI PELT2 (compared to the Apex kits pull rated at 5.5lbs) , I was just hoping the trigger bar would shorten throw even further and it kinda does... but at the expense of the longest reach I’ve ever felt on a handgun and increased pull weight. 

I have no reason to be bias, I spent my hard earned money on it just like you... just providing some insight.

1 hour ago, Rjracing said:

That’s the exact one I have, only without their trigger (I’m using Grey Guns advanced flat trigger). I spoke with Apex Tactical before ordering and they said this exactly what the trigger bar is made to do, push the trigger forward to reduce takeup and mechanical throw with leverage... hence the name “Forward Set Trigger Bar” lol.  My trigger already pulls at a measured 2.9-3lbs with the GGI PELT2 (compared to the Apex kits pull rated at 5.5lbs) , I was just hoping the trigger bar would shorten throw even further and it kinda does... but at the expense of the longest reach I’ve ever felt on a handgun and increased pull weight. 

I have no reason to be bias, I spent my hard earned money on it just like you... just providing some insight.

No problem. I am sure you don't want to spend more money but wonder if flat faced trigger would set farther back for you. Mine actually looks like it does for me.

1 hour ago, BLUEPSTU said:

No problem. I am sure you don't want to spend more money but wonder if flat faced trigger would set farther back for you. Mine actually looks like it does for me.

Exactly, but unfortunately I’m told the trigger won’t help by someone who has both on FB. If you’re on Facebook and part of the “P320 Universe” group, you can see the videos I posted and that might give you a better idea of how it actually functions and it’s improvements. The throw is with the GGI PELT2 is sooo crisp and short too, I can’t suggest it enough.  

24 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

My X5 trigger was 4.0# out of the box.  Did I just get lucky?  

That you did sir hehe. As we all know, a triggers pull weight is important... but not as important as to how it actually feels, overtravel, takeup, throw length, sponginess, etc. The OE trigger leaves a lot of room for improvement IMO.

I have had the same results as RJRacing with my X5. I have the GGI flat face pelt trigger and a really good polish job and minus one sear spring. I was at a nice 3.5 lb trigger pull and added the Apex trigger bar. It did push the trigger farther forward some and added .3 lb to the trigger pull. It felt gritty, but I polished the inside of the trigger bar contact surfaces and it felt better. I shot it in a match and it all worked and I will leave it this way,,, for now,,,

Edited by texasdawg
Second thoughts

Any purpose in upgrading to a grayguns guide rod with the included 15lb spring if I’m shooting factory ammo? Best I’ve been able to find is that the factory spring is somewhere 15-17 lbs so I’m not even sure just how much different it would be from whats already in it.

I dont have the means just yet to start loading my own ammo and the local range doesnt allow home loads anyway so I’ve been looking for some factory low recoil match rounds but if I’m still shooting standard 115 gr rounds most of the time is there likely to be much benefit from their custom guide rod and spring even if the factory spring is on the high end at 17lbs?

Its a fairly cheap custom part and I’m waiting on more competition trigger kits to come in so I was considering adding one to the tab while I’m at it. 

25 minutes ago, Daemunx1 said:

Any purpose in upgrading to a grayguns guide rod with the included 15lb spring if I’m shooting factory ammo? Best I’ve been able to find is that the factory spring is somewhere 15-17 lbs so I’m not even sure just how much different it would be from whats already in it.

I dont have the means just yet to start loading my own ammo and the local range doesnt allow home loads anyway so I’ve been looking for some factory low recoil match rounds but if I’m still shooting standard 115 gr rounds most of the time is there likely to be much benefit from their custom guide rod and spring even if the factory spring is on the high end at 17lbs?

Its a fairly cheap custom part and I’m waiting on more competition trigger kits to come in so I was considering adding one to the tab while I’m at it. 

The idea of buying an uncaptured guide rod is that you are able to tune the recoil spring weight to your load. They sell 1911 spring kits that include 5 springs (11-15lb) so you can tune your gun to your load. It only takes 20sec to swap them out as you probably already know, so you go to the range and see what works best for you. The idea is to lower the recoil spring weight without the slide slamming back or not returning to full lockup.

I’m told the regular P320 has a 17lb spring and X5 has a 15lb spring from the factory, but dont quote me on that. I run a 13lb spring and it cycles so much smoother with 147gr at 133PF. Factory loaded 115gr is inherently snappy, I suggest switching to 124-147gr if you can.

Definetly planning on the ammo change. The first box of 115 gr I picked up using cash saved from mil/vet discount. Just a matter of finding a good local source for something in 147 gr. What about the GG guide rods weight? Any difference there? I’ll probably go ahead and pick one up but curious as to any differences that may effect the feel. 

For the springs, browsing around I found wolff springs reduced power 1911 spring calibration set (11-15lbs.) I assume this would be sufficient?

Edited by Daemunx1

1 hour ago, Daemunx1 said:

Definetly planning on the ammo change. The first box of 115 gr I picked up using cash saved from mil/vet discount. Just a matter of finding a good local source for something in 147 gr. What about the GG guide rods weight? Any difference there? I’ll probably go ahead and pick one up but curious as to any differences that may effect the feel. 

For the springs, browsing around I found wolff springs reduced power 1911 spring calibration set (11-15lbs.) I assume this would be sufficient?

The weight of the GGI SS guide rod itself is only slightly heavier than the OE unit, tungsten rod is about 3x heavier though. The additional weight over the front of the gun keeps the muzzle from rising too much and helps you get back on target faster.

3 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

I would think that range, 11-15lbs, should cover it. For 147's at a 130ish PF I'm using 13# so far with no obvious issues. I have 12# and 14# but have not experimented with them yet.

Sounds like the 13# is the best bet and is most common when shooting around 130pf. The tungsten rod sounds nice but at $100 its considerably larger investment than the GG fat rod. As far as $100+ mods go I’ll probably just stick with the GG trigger. 

Are the wolff recoil springs decent quality or should I continue looking?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Shadyscott999 said:

My X5 trigger was 4.0# out of the box.  Did I just get lucky?  

....maybe I did too, mine is consistently breaking around 3# 10-14oz. I'm thrilled!!

5 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

Sounds like the 13# is the best bet and is most common when shooting around 130pf. The tungsten rod sounds nice but at $100 its considerably larger investment than the GG fat rod. As far as $100+ mods go I’ll probably just stick with the GG trigger. 

Are the wolff recoil springs decent quality or should I continue looking?

Wolff is one of the industry standards. ISMI is the other that comes to mind. I'm using Wolff in my X5 but used ISMI in my M&P. They both work.

Question for the X-5 owners out there (and anyone else as well). Does anyone know what was done by Sig to get the tighter lock up in the X-5 model?

Are the FCU rails over size?

The slide grooves under size?

The barrel lug oversize?

All of the above?

If anyone has mounted an X-5 top end on a standard FCU was the lock up just as tight as on the X-5 FCU?

Thanks.

Unless I'm wildly off base, I think some of you have misunderstood the Apex Trigger Bar. It's meant to set the break of the trigger more forward ... Pretty damn sure it doesn't physically move the trigger more forward as some have suggested. In mine, with a PELT2 that Apex advises against using w their bar, the trigger now sits at the "wall" and breaks almost as soon as you pull the trigger and then stops pretty soon after. Prior, there was a good amount of takeup prior to the "wall"

Mine did add a little weight back to the pull (still under 4lbs) but the benefit of the shorter pull, closer break point, and shorter overtravel is worth the extra weight added back in

EDIT: NOT LOOSING MY MIND, per Scott Folk @ Apex, the bar does not change the reach of the trigger. The trigger is in the same forward position with Apex or SIG trigger bar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by IntenseImage

3 hours ago, Resjudicata said:

Question for the X-5 owners out there (and anyone else as well). Does anyone know what was done by Sig to get the tighter lock up in the X-5 model?

Are the FCU rails over size?

The slide grooves under size?

The barrel lug oversize?

All of the above?

If anyone has mounted an X-5 top end on a standard FCU was the lock up just as tight as on the X-5 FCU?

Thanks.

I have a P320 X5 and P320 RX full size. when swapping the FCUs, the lock-up is identical. The FCU rails and the slide's grooves are identical. The lockup difference seems to come from the bottom of the barrel block (ramp?) which results in less vertical play when locked up.