Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying the slide release

ShortBus

I have a nitro fin thumb rest slide stop on a limited gun and due to the angle of my thumb placement I occasionally get a slide lock mid stage. I know the conventional way seems to be removing material from the mag follower, and a little from the area on the slide stop that the follower would engage.. I'm looking to make the slide stop not work even if you pressed it up and tried to lock the slide back by hand. Anybody have some pics or info on the correct/best way to do this?

thanks guys

Cut the engagement lug off the stop and/or remove the material from the follower that should engage the slide stop. Or, have someone weld-up the gap in the slide that the slide lock would engage to lock slide back.

So you would remove materiel until the slide did not lock back at all on #1 in the picture?

If so would you grind it straight down or would you come at it at an angle?

nitro fin 1.png

Edited by skullmug

I am making an assumption that I am only talking to one person here...

If you apply pressure on the "fin" with your weak thumb forward of the pin and actually actuate the slide lock "feature" in that manner, then you may have other issues to work through...

If your only concern is preventing slide lock from rounds in mag or follower contacting slide stop lug, then you would actually remove material from the bottom of the slide stop lug, below the area that you have circled and labeled #1. Look at it and see how the parts interface. I suppose that if you wanted to make it such that the slide stop could never engage the notch on the slide, you could remove material at the area that you have labeled #2...

PS - Pick a username and stick with it.

Not that it matters, but skullmug is my buddy and we shoot together. We talked about modifying it last night but where unsure of which way to go with it. Neither one of us could find any of the info we were looking for on here so I made a post here and texted him the link so he could watch for updates. 

Not sure what other issues he/I would have by activating the slide stop while shooting. If your thumb it's the top of the fin due to your grip and you are actually using the rest to control the gun, it can get hung up.. 

15 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

If you apply pressure on the "fin" with your weak thumb forward of the pin and actually actuate the slide lock "feature" in that manner, then you may have other issues to work through...

The fin is designed so that you can lock the slide back if you want. I don't mind this feature, but last night while shooting the gun for the first time in a match I believe I induced a malfunction (cause the slide to catch on the slide stop "nitro fin" ). I think that I had my thumb too far forward or too much forward pressure on the fin causing it to rotate forward which induced the slide to drag and stick while returning to battery. I had a malfunction and when I went to clear the perceived bad round the slide went fully into battery once I removed my week hand. This leads me to believe that I caused the malfunction with my weak hand.

Luke is shortbus and I am Chase. He was helping me find the answer.

Edited by skullmug

1 hour ago, racknrider said:

I put a big dimple in my nitrofin so the plunger holds it down. I was getting slide lock when shooting one handed 

Yup, put a dimple where the plunger sits and file from the underside if you need to so the mag doesn't have contact. 

I have only shot the gun a few times and it being a totally different platform makes me want to shoot it a little bit more before I modify the gun. Hoping I can correct this problem with my grip. The problem came right after I acquired a new grip making me think that my no consistent grip cause the problem. Time to work on it in dryfire. 

Drill a deeper dimple in the nitrofin in line with the plunger. 

Even just a little deeper than normal will lock it up so tight you likely won't be able to activate it even if you want to. Don't hack off the bit the locks the slide. You may want to use it at some point or sell it. 

Mechanically there are two points affecting the slide lock function; the material contacting the follower & the pressure applied by the plunger assembly.  A detent in the slide stop will reduce the likelihood of an inadvertant slidelock, and modifying the slide stop engagemeent with the follower will prevent magazine spring pressure from the equation.  In the grand scheme of things, the cost of a slide stop is minuscule compared for the time lost on a stage resulting from an inadvertant slide lock situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to share my experience with the nitrofin and that no dimple appears to work is when a stage requires a weakhand only shooting stand and because I may have fat fingers everytime a shot is fired, the nitrofin rides on my weak hand trigger finger and accidentally actuates it going up and therefore prematurely locks back the slide. So  I did grind down on number 2 area to ensure that it had some clearance. I also made it at an angle so that if it did pop up, it will have a rounded corner that it will not be able to stop the slide and would just be bumped down by the slide.

My two cent