Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A5 bolt catch spring

12Bravo

The only weakness of the A5 for a tactical shotgun is that area .  The complete carrier action was designed to have  maximum stress of 4 ea 3.5" shells in the factory tube.  After inserting 5+ shells in the tube, the manual shell release button doesn't release the shell 100% of the time (the more shells in the tube, the less chance the button will release the shell) and usually needs some assistance (by slamming your fist on the opposite side of the receiver),  This is not a firing functioning or cycling problem, because the recoil process helps the shell release while firing.  The only time this is usually an issue is at the make ready command when the tube is full and you are trying to release a shell to load the chamber (time for that wack on the side).  

I have worked hours and hours on this issue with different springs and everything else i can think of.  The FN SLP spring seems to help.  It is slightly stronger.  Last time I checked they were on back order.  

This is not going to effect your stage time, but is a little distraction before the beep. 

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the help I received with this, after installing my new extension the gun was having issues releasing a shell on to the lifter and changing this spring fixed it. While I had the shell release apart went ahead and drilled and tapped it for a speed button, good thing too because that new spring really added some tension to the bolt release.