Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .40 dies on a 650? What do you use?

Superpipe9

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone will have their own opinions on what is the "best", but I personally like the Redding Competition dies, especially the micrometer seating die.  The dual ring sizing die also seems to do a good job at dealing with the bulged cases since it goes very far down on the case.  Stopped using the bulge buster after I installed it and haven't had any issues to date.

After a very very very frustrating few months I settled on this combo:

Redding dual ring sizer

Mr bullet feeder powder funnel/expander

Redding competition seating die

Sill using the dillon crimp die.  

I crank ammo out like its my job now without any trouble.  

9 hours ago, LeviSS said:

If you use a push through sizer, like the Redding G-RX, is there any benefit to the U-dies?

Been using grx die for awhile. When you do this process first there is no benefit from the u dies. You can use any resizing die you want. The grx 100% completely gets any bulge out. I run all my 40 brass through the grx before loading on my 650. Never had 1 issues yet with Glock bulge or any rounds not gauging. 

15 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

After a very very very frustrating few months I settled on this combo:

Redding dual ring sizer

Mr bullet feeder powder funnel/expander

Redding competition seating die

Sill using the dillon crimp die.  

I crank ammo out like its my job now without any trouble.  

Are you me?  :surprise:  Same exact story and final setup.  That MBF funnel is the shizzle.

16 hours ago, BBQRibs said:

Are you me?  :surprise:  Same exact story and final setup.  That MBF funnel is the shizzle.

Thinking of going with this setup except probably use Lee factory crimp die with adjustment knob. But on the Redding resizer can you use the lock nut on the top. I know the Lee you can't. That's why I using the Dillon right now. 

On 1/21/2017 at 1:47 AM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Thinking of going with this setup except probably use Lee factory crimp die with adjustment knob. But on the Redding resizer can you use the lock nut on the top. I know the Lee you can't. That's why I using the Dillon right now. 

Sure can.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Superpipe9 said:

So what's better the EGW or the Lee U die? The egw is $30 plus $7 shipping and the Lee is only $17 plus shipping 

absolutely nothing.  Lee makes the EGW die if I remember right.  it even comes in a Lee box.

• 2 weeks later...

My failure rate for 40sw rounds failing to chamber check fell from 20-25% with Dillon dies to 1-2% with Hornady Custom dies and a Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die.  I also switched from Dillon to a LnL AP and consider it a great move.

The collet that holds the decapping rod on the Lee dies is a superior setup. It eliminates breaking the decapping rod if there is an obstruction in the case, or a heavy crimp on the primer. I am very happy with the Lee 4 die setup. I do use a Lee undersize die, since my 40s tend to get intermingled with ones which were shot from Glocks