Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammobot feels rough running manually

GregJ

When cycling the 1050/Ammobot by hand empty/no brass, it feels rough, like there are spots where there is an interference of some sort. I have pulled the drive plate off, and the press cycles very smooth. I checked the alignment of the drive pate/handle with the sprocket on the jack shaft, as well as loosened the chain a smidge. This may have helped a little, but not much. 

This is empty, no brass on the shellpate. I know there will be pops from the MBF powder funnel coming off the case, as well as the expander, but this is when the press is empty.

Anyone else run into this?

Dont worry about it. It is normal.

I went from a Dillon Square Deal directly into a 1050 / Ammobot setup. I had the same reaction as you and did all the things you are describing. I went so far as to replace the three roller bearings in the Dillon lower unit. It smoothed things up, but I still had a "hitch" that felt like something as binding up when manually cycling.  Now I am used to it and it does not bother me any more.

I ment to email Ammobot customer service and ask it it is a side effect of the electric motor not being powered up when manally cycling. Some kind of sciency-thing with the induction motor thingie.

Fire that pony up, sit back and enjoy the ride!

Edited by MeatPuppet
spelling... I suck at it.

18 minutes ago, MeatPuppet said:

Fire that pony up, sit back and enjoy the ride!

Definitely!! 

I just got a note back from Jason/Ammobot, and since I was running it manually with the power off, he felt the motor was generating enough EMP that it was partially engaging itself.  This sounds logical, and is probably true, I will verify tonight. :cheers:

On 1/18/2017 at 8:17 AM, DWFAN said:

Mine is smooth when cool/power on, but after the machine runs for 2-3000 cycles is when it's rough/hard to run manually.

It is suggested to put a small fan your bench that will move air across the cooling fins on the motor. Heat builds up faster than can be dissipated during long sessions. Lots of power going through that motor. It gets "rough" because the motor body expands under high heat and makes the internal tolerances tighter. 

On 1/18/2017 at 8:09 AM, GregJ said:

Definitely!! 

I just got a note back from Jason/Ammobot, and since I was running it manually with the power off, he felt the motor was generating enough EMP that it was partially engaging itself.  This sounds logical, and is probably true, I will verify tonight. :cheers:

It's due to the motor inductance building up enough of a charge to back feed power into the drive. When there is enough power the drive "enables" causing the motor to try to hold whatever position it is in. 

@MeatPuppet is right. It's all sciency. ?

It is suggested to put a small fan your bench that will move air across the cooling fins on the motor. Heat builds up faster than can be dissipated during long sessions. Lots of power going through that motor. It gets "rough" because the motor body expands under high heat and makes the internal tolerances tighter. 

I've used a fan since day 1.

Does it get too hot to touch?  You may have a motor problem. 

It gets really hot, and I have a habbit of not touching things to see how hot they really are. I can usually touch the fins, Ive not tried the motor itself.

I can come up with a temp laser and check on my next long run?

11 minutes ago, DWFAN said:

It gets really hot, and I have a habbit of not touching things to see how hot they really are. I can usually touch the fins, Ive not tried the motor itself.

I can come up with a temp laser and check on my next long run?

Let us know what it comes to.  You can contact me directly regarding order information and possible replacement if necessary.