Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripod

caz41

***I'm not a SERIOUS tripod user at this point.

Depends on what size you want. Do you want it to also be light and packable? There's about 1000 of them out there. I've been fairly pleased with the Slik tripods that I have purchased. One is fairly compact and not super-sturdy if extended to full height. The other is truly a monster and I think it would support me if I had an appropriate place to mount that little plate that locks into the tripod head.

I think that the super-serious folk tend to use Manfrotto as the litmus test. They have some super-sturdy, and yet reasonably light tripods available, and they have prices that make you think twice about it. I'm sure there are other out there that are great too. Check out Amazon and the reviews for the models that show up. You first have to decide which features you require, which you would appreciate, and which are of no value to you. How tall do you need it to get? How much do you need it to support? How low do you want it to go? Does weight matter to you? Etc...

Edited by wgj3

Find an older Star D or Tiltall tripod. I have found them on ebay for around $50 and they are well worth the money. 

I just looked, but didn't find any listed right now.

Edited by mscott

Another thing to consider is the head of the tripod accounts for some of the cost. I just bought a Slik 700dx for $100.  It is legs only but has the same threads as a head.  I use it for my chrono.  So you can get a sturdier tripod for the same cost.

Really Right Stuff.  end of story.  

the catch is its gonna cost you $1k+

i have a manfrotto that works great for glassing but its too wobbly to shoot off of any higher than waist high.

a friend of mine has shot 100yrd groups under a dime STANDING from a really right stuff tripod

Edited by blairmckenzie1

• 4 weeks later...
On January 18, 2017 at 9:49 PM, blairmckenzie1 said:

Really Right Stuff.  end of story.  

the catch is its gonna cost you $1k+

i have a manfrotto that works great for glassing but its too wobbly to shoot off of any higher than waist high.

a friend of mine has shot 100yrd groups under a dime STANDING from a really right stuff tripod

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The RRS tripods are great and I have two of them but for your use, if weight doesn't matter too much, you can take a look on eBay for an older Gitzo 5 Series.  They are very solid, a few pounds heaver than RRS.  If a few pounds of weight matter then the RRS is a great choice.  An older Gitzo 5 series will be $200-$300 and more solid than the RRS, a new RRS would be much more costly too. You can check the RRS online catalog.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a photographer and have had Gitzos for 35 years... 6-7 years ago Really Right Stuff came on with theirs and now they are making a range of PRS stuff. All of it is superb quality and priced accordingly. 

If you don't care about weight then a old metal Gitzo #5 series will work and be bombproof but the were originally designed to hold French machine guns. 

If you want it to be both light and sturdy then it'll be expensive, RRS. 

The coolest thing is that companies are starting to make longer plates that extend down the entire foreend in the Arca Swiss pattern. KRG has a nice one... and you can slide your Arca clamp mounted bipod or other accessories up and down the rail with a flip of a lever. Mount it on the tripod and adjust its position perfectly even downslope, etc. 

Most of the other brands will work for a while until the glue gets brittle or the leg locks snap, they'll get wobblier over time. But if you only use it a few times a year then you can probably get away with a Chinese knock off. 

Just to keep it in perspective there are much more expensive tripods than RRS out there....

Edited by Frankly

• 1 month later...

The heavy duty slik tripod for $110ish on the PRS website is plenty good to get into it. It’s plenty stout for a heavy match rifle. I almost bought  $4-500 dollar range one (fiesol, manfroto) but I tried the slick and went that rout and I have no complaints and saved a bunch of money. It’s just not super light weight is all

3 minutes ago, forrest84 said:

The heavy duty slik tripod for $110ish on the PRS website is plenty good to get into it. It’s plenty stout for a heavy match rifle. I almost bought  $4-500 dollar range one (fiesol, manfroto) but I tried the slick and went that rout and I have no complaints and saved a bunch of money. It’s just not super light weight is all

Also check out Induro carbon fiber tripods.  They have replaced many Gitzos with wildlife photographers.  https://www.indurogear.com/