Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050, do you pre-process your brass first?

11 hours ago, GregJ said:

Congrats on the AB, and welcome to The Borg.  :)  

Thanks to DWFAN, and others, I have now what I feel is now a very good processing setup, and very closely mirrors DWFAN.  This is for 9mm primarily but also for 45ACP.

2. Lee uniersal decapping die with Berdan Sensor.
3. The Judge die
6. Dillon die minus decap pin

7. EGW-U die

The decap die obviously decaps, and catches Berdan primers.  The Judge die is awesome, as it will catch 38s, 357Sig, etc, as well as foreign material inside the case that the decap pin might punch through.  Case in point, I had a lot of brass that came from a shoot house, and almost all of them had rubber chunks inside that did not come with dry media tumbling.  The pin punched through, but The Judge caught them!!!  If they had made into the loading process, the results would not have been good.  So I am a big fan The Judge die.  

Thanks GregJ, 

i asked about the judge die if it would work with swaging and they say it won’t. Are you using a sensor in line with the judge? 

Having one 1050 means if I can’t use the swage with the judge I’ll be swapping out the swage with the primer pocket prob everytime I reload or process. That’s a lot of setting up to do so I was hoping just swapping out toolheads would be the way to go. What’s your take on that to make it work, so it won’t be such a PITA to go back and forth with the swager and sensor? Thanks in advance 

Edited by Gviz

7 hours ago, DWFAN said:

Looks good Gviz, except now that I roll size, I feel that the U-die is overkill. It probably doesnt make much difference though.

I was thinking about that as well hahaha. So many u dies... 

5 hours ago, Gviz said:

Thanks GregJ, 

i asked about the judge die if it would work with swaging and they say it won’t. Are you using a sensor in line with the judge? 

Having one 1050 means if I can’t use the swage with the judge I’ll be swapping out the swage with the primer pocket prob everytime I reload or process. That’s a lot of setting up to do so I was hoping just swapping out toolheads would be the way to go. What’s your take on that to make it work, so it won’t be such a PITA to go back and forth with the swager and sensor? Thanks in advance 

You can use the judge die after swaging. Obviously wouldnt be able to use the extractor, but it would stop the press on any of the larger stepped cases or other obstructions the decapper doesnt catch.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:44 PM, Gviz said:

Thanks GregJ, 

When I process brass, I have a dedicated tool head, and pull off the primer rocker arm, pin, shuttle, etc.  I leave just the primer mag tube with the arm that engages the shuttle moved up on the magazine tube.  I only swage when reloading.  When processing, I use the primer probe instead of the swager.  This catches all primer pull backs, and The Judge with it's sensor does it's thing.  I have an RCA Y connector, that IIRC, connects the primer probe and The Judge sensor into the same cable to the AB control box.  I will verify tonight.  This set up works quite well, and am very, very pleased with how it works.  Swapping all this out is not a problem to me, as processing brass is very dirty, and it is an opportunity to ensure everything gets cleaned and relubed before starting reloading ammo.  The only PITA about going from processing to reloading is getting the press tweaked again to get the loads back to my specs (crimp, OAL, powder drop, etc).  YMMV   HTH

• 2 weeks later...

My toolhead setup is as follows. I load on a 1050 with Mk7.

Pre process Brass

Lee universal decapper

Lee U Die w/ decapping pin removed

Empty

Empty

Empty

Empty

Judge Die

Empty

empty

empty

Loading on a normal 1050 toolhead so EGA Primer Holddown die

Powder with Mrbf expander

MRBF die

Redding Competition Seater

Lee FCD

Edited by Laxman2809

I’m running a U die and roll-size my revolver 9mm brass.  I use cracked cases for practice-no extraction issues.  Even those that crack while being shot aren’t an issue either.  The combo works for me.

i got a mark 7 hooked up to a 650 for processing, it’s slow but works for me.  When I find range blazer brass and add it to my shot pile of blazer it forces me to use a clutch setting of 6 vs 4.  If it’s my shot brass only I can get away with 4.  So something I’m doing is keeping the brass “in spec”