Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic Components has a game changer.

Hello: I received a notice today from Nordic Components about their new PCC 9mm. It has a changeable magwell that will take different magazine types. It looks pretty cool as well. I am not sure if you would buy more than one or two different magwells but it will give you the choice if you want to. I think this year will be the year of the PCC's. Thanks, Eric

They look nice. Hard for me to think about buying a 9mm for $1600 + when you can get 223's of the same quality for under $600 though. 

I think when one of the mass production outfits starts pumping these out a lot of folks will get interested. 

I don't see the value in the interchangeable magwell for the end user, especially when the magwells cost as much as a stripped lower. I could see the novelty having some use in departments where officers are allowed to carry from a list of sidearms, the carbine could be configured to match their sidearm. The fact that a $1600 rifle has what appears to be a mil-spec trigger, at this price point, is unacceptable. Also, for competition shooters being the target buyer, there's no muzzle brake. 

I love Nordic. I have a couple of their .223 barrels. All my shotguns sport their parts. I get that something had to be offered that set their product apart from the herd, I just don't think the novelty that is the interchangeable magwell is worth the scratch. I'd rather the money spent on R&D of the magwell had been spent on a decent trigger and brake, ala JP, instead of a function that won't be used by most end users. 

Hello: I think their goal will be to offer a magwell for all the major type high cap magazines. Something like a Sig or CZ magazines. Nordic make a lot of parts for a lot of different companies and some of them even make guns. I am not sure I would buy one but it is nice to see that the market is following us crazy competition shooters. Thanks, Eric

• 3 months later...
They look nice. Hard for me to think about buying a 9mm for $1600 + when you can get 223's of the same quality for under $600 though. 
I think when one of the mass production outfits starts pumping these out a lot of folks will get interested. 

Stag started, but discontinued after only a year due to unreliable source of parts. They claim once a reliable source comes through, they will re-launch.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a little over 200 rounds this afternoon with perfect function. Seemingly excellent accuracy - ragged bullet hole at 20 yards from improvised rest over top of my shooting box. Shot 115 HAPs (at 1.120" o.a.l. with 5.3 grains of N340, pretty snappy) and some 129 gr lead SWCs  - and it did feed everything.

These are very nicely built guns with a high level of machine finish for an AR. I like the S&W mags which present the rounds straight into the chamber from a single central position. I chose Taran Tactical +6 extenders and other than hard to load the last few rounds, they worked perfectly. The metal mags slid in and out easily with no tendency to hang on release or insertion. A Burris Fastfire III was on top today. I might want larger than the 3 MOA dot or I might try a 1X scope. But for Saturday's match, its ready to go except for the trigger that's due here tomorrow.

Here is the page for the gun:

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-pcc/

Edited by wheelie

Hello: They are coming out with a STI magazine version soon. That may solve some of the quick reload problems some are having. I have to check my 170mm mags with a longer base pad to see if I can get 34-36 rounds that are reliable. Or maybe a coupler will be made for them? Thanks, Eric

The gun ran great at the match, so up to about 400 rounds now with 100% perfect function. I did have to clear the gun into the berm because the cartridges were just a bit long. New cartridge overall length is 1.100" and is tested for extraction of loaded rounds. The heavy blowback bolt will jam just about anything into the chamber but it may not come out unless you shoot it out. But that's totally my fault for rushing to get the brand new gun ready for a match in two days.

The trigger is decent after getting a little break-in and lube. I am kinda of surprised at how well it slicked up. Somehow UPS lost my Hyperfire that was supposed to be here last Friday and I do still look forward to getting it in the gun. But if I never changed the trigger I am not sure it would matter that much. This gun is plenty usable right out of the box without any refinement or modification. I recommend the Nordic Comp NC-PCC without reservation.

NCPCC.jpg.f76ac87c7dffa22e3e0abb2edbd21bcd.jpg

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-pcc/

As for the match results, I "zeroed" one stage out of five (I was apparently unable to count past 2, so left a shot off each target) and still finished mid pack overall. Won the classifier.

I think there is a lot to be said for the interchangeable magwells and being able to use other mags of your choice. I know Glock mags are ubiquitous, but I'm not sure they're the best for a PCC AR. ROing and getting to see up close when so many PCCs puked for the past year+ convinced me to keep waiting before jumping into PCC. The S&W M&P mags work great. I am pretty sure that Beretta M92 mags will work just as well. And the STI mags should be good too. Its hard to beat a high quality metal magazine.

The interchangeable magwell feature is not apparent visually or functionally. You'd never notice unless you wanted to change it out - it fits that well. And the way it fits is really well thought out and sturdy. There is no downside to it.

I own a few Nordic guns and love them.  They shoot great and they are accurate. You get what you pay for.  You want a cheap gun buy a cheap gun.  If you want quality then you need to spend more. I have shot the PCC and its reliable and accurate.  Add in the new competition mag well they just released this week and its hands down a winner.  Order is placed and I cant wait to get my hands on mine.

• 1 month later...

if the S&W lower would have been available when I ordered mine, I would have liked to try it. But, unfortunately, I don't trust back orders when I'm making decisions

Edited by Gary H.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it a purpose built lower that accepts their proprietary magwell inserts, or is it a standard AR lower that's been modified with with their PCC parts?   (My real question is: can I get their upper and magwell and run it on my current .223 lower?)  Thanks, J

Its their own lower that is designed for the mag well removal and or replacement. You push a pin and it comes out.  The pin is like another receiver take down pin.

Scroll up you can see me remove and replace it in the video above.

Also the new flared mag wells that look like a ICE mag well will be available so you can pop it in and have a dedicated solid flared mag will instead of bolt on stuff.

Edited by NOMADSS
  • 1 month later...

Mine is a build using the Nordic lower, barrel, bolt, spring, and buffer. 

Upper is Aero and the rail and furniture is BCM. Trigger is BCM PNT  (milspec and needs to be upgraded haha).

Has been 100% reliable. Haven't done accuracy testing but it'll shoot alphas!

I've only put about 500 rounds through it.

Edited by stxbordergun