Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Barrel Study

9X23Guy

http://www.victorygunblog.com/blog/barrelrace17

A couple a great take aways in this article.

1. Without question, some aftermarket barrels can and do outshoot stock Glock barrels.

2. Stock Glock barrels shoot fairly well.

3. Most people do not shoot well enough to see a great improvement and go searching for other parts and fixes to compensate for their lack of fundamentals. (No offense intended)

4. Good ammo makes a big difference. 

In my experience, there is value in having the most accurate weapon you can get EVEN IF you cannot shoot well enough to maximize its potential. Reason being you take more of the gun out of the equation therefore the learning curve is shorter. For example, if a guy simply says "I'm not good enough for good equipment yet" and takes crap ammo out a stock barrel that doesn't like that particular bullet weight then he may spend a long time chasing something that isn't there.

Would have loved to see a Barsto and Zev too based on a previous random rest test article I read.

4 hours ago, 9X23Guy said:

For example, if a guy simply says "I'm not good enough for good equipment yet" 

I for one find this argument quite tiresome. Regardless of the platform...rifle, pistol, whatever. I absolutely agree that fundamentals should always be looked to improve upon but the idea that "I don't shoot well enough to take advantage of an X difference in MOA" with a change in equipment doesn't add up. I've tried to explain it to friends before and I've finally started to demonstrate it this way. I put a piece of paper on the table. I put a suacer on the paper to simulate where a 5 MOA bullet can be expected to impact. Then I slide it around to simulate a less than rock solid sight hold. Then I put a drinking glass on the paper to simulate the POI of a 2 MOA bullet and slide it around. 

HOWEVER, I totally understand the argument that many people have to think carefully where shooting money goes. If the cost of a barrel or even an entire gun constitutes the amount of money you spend on ammo for an entire month then perhaps the shooter is better served to spend the money in practice rather than a 3/4 MOA improvement. 

With all of that said, I still shoot factory glock barrels because of what Vogel told us at a seminar...virtually everytime he has seen a glock malfunction it was housing an aftermarket barrel. Now that assessment has some obvious limitations because it does not take into account the percentage of people in those seminars who were using post market barrels. Nor does it include ammo differences, factory, cheap factory, homemade, etc. 

Someday I'm sure I will experiment with an aftermarket barrel. I'm just not there yet. 

Check this out.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/glock-precision-barrel-test-1-ransom-rest-oem-kkm-s3f-zev-wilson.1727/

Yet Vogel on his website where it's listed the gun that he uses in open class sports a KKM barrel.  I have tried 3 aftermarket barrels and all have been perfectly reliable with all kinds of different bullet profiles.  Just because you added an aftermarket barrel and you have a malfunction you really can't say it's because of the barrel.

16 minutes ago, rooster said:

Check this out.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/glock-precision-barrel-test-1-ransom-rest-oem-kkm-s3f-zev-wilson.1727/

Yet Vogel on his website where it's listed the gun that he uses in open class sports a KKM barrel.  I have tried 3 aftermarket barrels and all have been perfectly reliable with all kinds of different bullet profiles.  Just because you added an aftermarket barrel and you have a malfunction you really can't say it's because of the barrel.

Absolutely agree. That's why I mentioned the limitations to his claims. 

I got a Wilson and the Lock Up was looser than the Stock Barrel so I measured it the hood and locking lug measured smaller\

than my Stock Barrel. I snapped photo's with my Veneer's measuring it Emailed to them and I sent it in for a refund, I didn't\

want another. They didn't refund my Shipping, I had to get firm with them til they did. Got a KKM, it was dead nuts perfect

and locked up Real Tight..

31 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

I got a Wilson and the Lock Up was looser than the Stock Barrel so I measured it the hood and locking lug measured smaller\

than my Stock Barrel. I snapped photo's with my Veneer's measuring it Emailed to them and I sent it in for a refund, I didn't\

want another. They didn't refund my Shipping, I had to get firm with them til they did. Got a KKM, it was dead nuts perfect

It seems few and far between but I had a terrible experience with Wilson customer service too.  To the point that I will never buy their products again.  Go with the KKM you won't regret it.

KKM has it figured out..  Their drop in barrels fit about as tight as your gonna get and still get the slide on..  

Plus if you ever have a problem (which is very rare) they just give you another barrel no questions asked..

Great Company.. 

Edited by bigtimelarry

The file is too big so I'd have to take the picture again but when I did load development for my stock barrel I tuned a load that was able to do 15 rounds in 2.5" off of a sandbag at 25 yards. 13 of those rounds were in a cluster just under 2". I never saw the need for an aftermarket barrel after doing that but if I didn't handload I would have bought an aftermarket right away because they group better across all loads. Some loads that I use in other guns grouped as big as 5" in the stock barrel.

funny  to that the  zev  barrel  gets  better  groupings  at  distance  but is  average  at  typical  range. everything  taken into  account  i settled  on the  kkm as  being the  more consistent barrel  over  most  of  the  conditions-ammo.

On 1/16/2017 at 7:50 PM, bigtimelarry said:

I had the same. 

Wilson was looser (measured it too).  

KKM was tighter.  

On 16/01/2017 at 10:31 PM, bigtimelarry said:

KKM has it figured out..  Their drop in barrels fit about as tight as your gonna get and still get the slide on..  

Plus if you ever have a problem (which is very rare) they just give you another barrel no questions asked..

Great Company.. 

i'm still wondering how  a  drop in barrel  can exactly  fit  with the best   lock up  possible!!! glocks  are  the  AK's  among the mass  produced  pistols ,how is  it possible even for  KKM to  provide  a  barrel that fit like a  semi  drop in where  you still have to  work the lugs  a  little....on my  part, i  always  ended  up  with a  semi drop  in after  much hesitation  for  a  fully drop in barrel....although  i'd  prefer  a  drop  in that fit perfect  from the word  go,so  no  smithing  involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I reviewed that barrel test also by victorygun blog.  I recently bought a Blacklist barrel and did my own testing and was very impressed with the results.  I'll do a separate post on it.  I originally was going to get a KKM but they only come in 1:20 twist and 1:16 (custom).  KKM told me outright that 1:20 will not work with 147gr bullets, won't stabilze it, so went with the 1:10 Blacklist.