Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 eye open or 2 eyes open

Eric1231

On 7/24/2017 at 9:08 PM, MrT_shootsAcz said:

Will the tape on one lens help deter my eyes propensity to shift to a target focus?  because while the sights are blurred the target is clear with both eyes open, so I've caught myself doing this.  I have also found that I default to shooting with both eyes open, however I also noticed that while my dominant eye is dominant enough to control the act of aiming accurately my overall sight picture is very blurred.  I often find myself on a stage starting my run focusing on the sights only to switch to a target focus.

I guess it could be old range habits, like checking for my hit (would think not though).  I dabbled in squinting my weak eye but that has not helped and only resulted in me squinting both eyes.  I know it all comes with training and time but I'm interested to hear from all you guys with masterful hindsight.

Thanks!

If you want to shoot fast you definitely need to get out of the idea that you must have a sharp sight focus (which sounds like what your describing).  Someone whos name might be tied to this forum said you just need to see what you need to see.  For the longest time this statement just pissed me off more than anything since shot calling was a magic trick to me.  You dont need or want a sharp front sight focus for anything but the hardest of shots, otherwise its just too slow.  Shooting fast will be done at a target focus or somewhere in between target and front sight.  You have to learn what YOU need to see in order to make good shots at speed.  The tape has allowed me to increase my shooting speed drastically, it has cleared up what I need to see in order to shoot accurately.  Some lucky shooters are able to do this without the tape, and I wish I could, but my eyes/brain will not allow it.  Sometimes I feel like the tape could slow down my transition speeds but I have not been able to prove that on the clock.  At the end of the day only you see what you see.  Try the tape, it cant hurt anything.  

If you want to shoot fast you definitely need to get out of the idea that you must have a sharp sight focus (which sounds like what your describing).  Someone whos name might be tied to this forum said you just need to see what you need to see.  For the longest time this statement just pissed me off more than anything since shot calling was a magic trick to me.  You dont need or want a sharp front sight focus for anything but the hardest of shots, otherwise its just too slow.  Shooting fast will be done at a target focus or somewhere in between target and front sight.  You have to learn what YOU need to see in order to make good shots at speed.  The tape has allowed me to increase my shooting speed drastically, it has cleared up what I need to see in order to shoot accurately.  Some lucky shooters are able to do this without the tape, and I wish I could, but my eyes/brain will not allow it.  Sometimes I feel like the tape could slow down my transition speeds but I have not been able to prove that on the clock.  At the end of the day only you see what you see.  Try the tape, it cant hurt anything.  

Thanks for the reply. It's great to hear that helped in getting you over the hurdle. That said, no, I'm not talking about shooting fast.

I don't need the info to learn to shoot fast. I'm plenty fast now. Yes, what that BE fellow has said is absolutely right. I fully grasp the concept of "knowing what you need to see at a given distance". I'm still working on refining that at certain distances for sure but I already know I can shoot .16 splits at 5 yards and get alpha hits even on a partial for example (I mention that to illustrate I can see the sights and shoot fast fine). Where the topic and my post/question is mostly directed at, and sorry for not being more clear, is addressing a course of fire quickly while appropriately using the necessary sight picture for the target array at hand. As I said, maybe I start a stage focused on watching my sights (doesn't mean I'm waiting for a perfect or still sight picture, just means I'm shooting with a sight focus watching the front sight bounce up and down) and then find myself drifting to a target focus. Especially after I start moving out of the first position. Despite a target that may require a more refined sight picture I tend to still be looking over the sights to more of a target focus. That's where maybe more exposure and training will help work that out. I have shot a bunch of matches thinking that target focus has a place but I've also heard from some very seasoned shooters that they would not describe any of their shooting as target focus (even 3 yards away). I would think that in what we reference as target focus they are simply using a very simply met sight picture alignment but the awareness is still centered on the sights relation to their target as opposed to a clear focus on the target. In some respects it is very similar but just different enough to prompt another debate for some I guess. Anyway... I appreciate your info on the tape, it helps a lot. I am going to try it after getting back from Area 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Are you shooting a Red Dot or Open sights??  

When I shoot (and was taught) to shoot both it was both eyes open.  This is definitely harder and takes more practice and a tad more brain power until it's second nature.  A red dot is 100% both eyes for me and open sights are probably 80% both eyes depending on the distance and size of the tgt.  Keep at it and it will come more natural.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 10:12 PM, tattooo said:
On 11/23/2017 at 8:37 PM, joerocket said:
For Red Dots definately two eyes. For iron sights two if you can and then on longer or precise shots I use one.

You nailed it !

That's what I do as well.   At 20 yards or more, I do better with one eye, but I've found I don't need to completely close the other eye, just squinting slightly with the off eye is enough to give me the one-eye sight picture, and somehow it seems faster than completely closing the off eye for the long shots.

That's what I do as well.   At 20 yards or more, I do better with one eye, but I've found I don't need to completely close the other eye, just squinting slightly with the off eye is enough to give me the one-eye sight picture, and somehow it seems faster than completely closing the off eye for the long shots.
Yep and less facial fatigue....just squinting blocks enough light to do the trick

I'm kinda new to shooting but I hear most of the time from really good shooters to shoot with both eyes open which I think I do for the most part especially on up close targets. When I have to make more accurate longer shots I either squint my non dominate eye or completely close it. having said that I'm still learning but I really believe in finding out what works best for you and for what type of shooting your doing because I think depending on the type of shooting your doing can make a big difference on how you focus on your sights and targets.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes due to lighting conditions, distance, lack of contrast in colors (e.g. light brown targets against light brown dirt), I have trouble seeing things, and will naturally squint my non-dominant eye.  When all is clear I do my best to relax both eyes and keep them open; this is the mode I'm in during dry fire practice and that practice helps make it easy during a match.

Edited by GunBugBit

It’s one eye for me – has been since my first BB gun at age 10 to now (almost 60).  Also 10 years in the Marine Corps – just one with pistol or rifle (iron sights).  I’ve had people comment on my ability to shoot with just one eye.  So, at a match (I shoot limited division), everything is done with both eyes open until I raise my gun up to my right eye, while closing my left, and squeezing off a round (or 2 or 4…).  It’s one smooth motion.  When engaging an array of targets, I always start on the left and move right (to the greatest extent possible) because I have some peripheral vision on the right side.

I have two issues.  cross eye dominant and left handed on pistol.  right handed on rifle.  Like many have said before me, placing a small piece of tape over the non-dominant eye works.  My recent solution was even easier.  Shoot PCC.  Since I'm right eye dominant, it was easier to shoot both eyes open.  I just recently added a red dot to one of my pistols which also alleviated the cross eye/one eye issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been taught to shoot both eyes open shooting pistol, and even though I'm cross eye dominant have never had a problem shooting this way.  Howev er, I shot a match last night that had very poor lighting and found that it was nearly impossible for me to pick up the front sight clearly with both eyes open in the poor lighting.  I ended up shooting the entire match with my right eye closed.  Anyone else had a similar experience in low light?

Edited by jerkeejoe

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to hear Ben S talk about this on his show along with a few others. For some reason I thought he would pooh-pooh it (technical term) but didn't.  I've tried with and without myself and haven't found a great advantage. Problem is the range is so much darker than shooting outside and peripheral vision so much more important.  Probably bring along two pairs to the next match and try one taped up.

Edited by lfine
typo

Ive always shot 1 eye closed. Right handed, left eye dominate. Started uspsa 3 years ago at 54 years old. Closed left eye for 2 years, now tapping left eye so i can have perrifial vision and learning to keep both eyes open. Recently had shooting glasses made to focus on sights, (magnify) right eye while leaving left eye for distance.

It definitely helped but the struggle is real. LOL

• 2 weeks later...