Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carver Competition mount?

Rudukai13

Anyone have any personal experience with one of these, particularly the version for miniature dots? Good? Bad? Bueller?

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/ecommerce/carver-competition-mp-c-more-mount-714.cfm

I'm very close to picking up an M&P9L Ported, but a major factor in making the purchase for me is in my plan to add one of these mounts to the pistol, and I want to make sure there isn't any reason I'll be disappointed in the result after investing my money...

One of the downsides is that it limits your holster choice to a race type holster (DAA type that locks onto the trigger guard) the mount gets in the way on normal holsters. I used an SJC mount that didn't have anything projecting off the underside so I could use a Safariland 014 holster, but it's much more involved to install than the Carver. (you have to mill out the frame and install "T" nuts into the frame of the pistol).

31215 7.JPG

31215 10.JPG

31215 15.JPG

CC 3.JPG

I'm not too concerned with holster choice. This will mainly be a fun range toy and if I do eventually get a holster for it I figure a custom kydex job will work and have more than enough retention for my purposes.

I'm mainly concerned with whether the Carver mount brings the optic as low as possible over the slide (I WANT it to be the kind of low mount where removing the iron sights is necessary), how robust it is, etc.

I've been doing as much reading on the mounts as I can find, but it seems they're much more popular on Glocks than on an M&P - Wondering if there's a particular reason for that concerning the quality of the M&P version of the mount...?

I got a Neumont red dot mounting system for my 5.25 Xdm, and they also make them for the M&P. For $75 you get a rock solid mount, and it is built extremely well. I put a cheap Sightmark Red dot on it at first, and the accuracy was incredible. If I remember right, the sight mounting pattern is generic enough to allow a variety of red dots to be mounted using the original mount.

If you need a Kydex holster, he has them ready to go, or will make one for you. The owner is a great guy, and you cannot go wrong with the product of company. And no, I am not affiliated with them at all.