Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate the trigger on my new Range Officer

vnboileau

give it some time.  After 500 rounds is smooths out.  You can help it by changing out the ILS system to a standard 1911 MSH.  You can buy the parts required for about $15.  Use an 18 or 19lb mainspring and you will still be able to use the Ti firing pin installed.  With a little bit of effort you can get a good 3.5lb pull.  It is unlikely you will experience any light hits, but if you do, use an ISMI standard firing pin spring.  If there are still problems, use a SS firing pin.  I haven't seen any that required more than replacing the ILS System and tweaking the sear spring, but you never know.

Get rid of the ILS. On my son's Springfield we put a normal firing pin and firing pin spring in, used the main spring { I think it is 17 lbs.}, cap and retainer out of a Ed Brown rebuild kit. We put a secondary angle on the sear. I think we also used a new sear spring tensioned following Weigand's instructions. Go to Brownell's and look up Weigand's 2 1/2 lb. trigger pull. We did smooth things. Trigger is smooth and crisp. Pull is just less than 3 lbs. I would replace the main spring housing.

The "creep" is usually the interface between the sear and hammer.

SA ignition parts are not the best BUT with proper stoning they can be used if you don't try and get a trigger below 3 lbs.

Follow instructions above about Brownell's info etc.

And as you said shoot it a bunch before you make more changes other than the MSH parts.

I prefer to do trigger jobs after about 500 to 1000 rounds have been fired through the gun. FWIW

Good Fortune

I played with the factory original sear and hammer, and was able to get a sub 2 lbs pull with a lot of work on those parts and a 17lbs hammer spring.  Ended up swapping the ignition parts to egw once the parts came in, but that was preference.  Best bet would be to remove the ILS, drop the hammer spring weight, and tune the sear spring.  The creep you are describing will only be solved by a stone or gunsmith.

2 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

What is weight of OEM main spring In a RO9?

It is probably 23#.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:16 PM, vnboileau said:

Not sure what to try next.  Maybe change out the heavy mainspring and put in a standard firing pin?

Try adjusting the leaf spring.  Put 8 oz. on the center leaf and adjust the left leaf to the trigger pull you want.  In my experience the factory settings are extremely heavy.

6 minutes ago, jpl said:

It is probably 23#.

It's a 28#.  They also come with a titanium firing pin and extra heavy fp spring.

I really like the pistol, so I think I'll swap out the above mentioned parts.