Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris announces new 1-6 Scope designed for 3 Gun

I've heard that if you have a budget, that is, you can't blow a G and up for a scope. Go for better glass over magnification. I've been looking at a Steiner P4xi over something with a 6X. Is that how you guys see it?

Well, I looked at the thread right below this one, and II think i have my answer.

Edited by SF1911

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First time I took out my Steiner I was glassing the 100yrd plates. Was very disappointed for a minute because I really missed the extra 2 power.

Then I snapped out of my derp and realized I had the Steiner on like 2X, lol. I can see much better through it at 4X than the 6X of the Vortex, which always had a fuzziness at 6X.

95% of my shooting at matches involves using the sight on 1X. That is the most important to me. I shot a 2gun match Saturday and never zoomed at all. out to 100 or even 150 I use 1x, and many matches don't go beyond that. 

Not saying the Steiner is the be all / end all, but for 459.00 including a nice cat tail, it's a no brainer and I don't see how you can possibly beat it. It's very good for the money and would be a good scope to learn on. I've found I need to drop at least a G to get a decent 1x6. My experience is limited of course to the scopes I have tried. 

Many people are completely satisfied with the Strike Eagle. It's pretty killer for the price.

21 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

First time I took out my Steiner I was glassing the 100yrd plates. Was very disappointed for a minute because I really missed the extra 2 power.

Then I snapped out of my derp and realized I had the Steiner on like 2X, lol. I can see much better through it at 4X than the 6X of the Vortex, which always had a fuzziness at 6X.

95% of my shooting at matches involves using the sight on 1X. That is the most important to me. I shot a 2gun match Saturday and never zoomed at all. out to 100 or even 150 I use 1x, and many matches don't go beyond that. 

Not saying the Steiner is the be all / end all, but for 459.00 including a nice cat tail, it's a no brainer and I don't see how you can possibly beat it. It's very good for the money and would be a good scope to learn on. I've found I need to drop at least a G to get a decent 1x6. My experience is limited of course to the scopes I have tried. 

Many people are completely satisfied with the Strike Eagle. It's pretty killer for the price.

Hey Dave, where did you find it for $459 w/ the cat tail??? I'm only seeing it for $549-579 w/ no cat tail.

Also, What do you all think of this mount? Burris 410341 AR PEPR 30-mm Scope Mount

It'd be on an armalite13.5" 3-gun ed.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have one of these yet?

Just wondering how they compare to the MTAC 1-4x24mm or the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24mm.

Thanks.

-Cuz

Edited by Cuz

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 4:00 PM, Cuz said:

Never mind, I just called Burris and they expect to start shipping in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said the same thing in May and then in June. I quit waiting and picked up a Steiner.

They said the same thing in May and then in June. I quit waiting and picked up a Steiner.

Damn, so I guess I could be waiting a while. I went and sent them a check last week to pre-order one. Oh well, I hope I'm pleasantly surprised one day when it shows up...

On 7/3/2017 at 10:41 AM, bowhazard said:

Sounds like the perfect scope for the Desert Tech MDR.

Sounds like the perfect scope for the Desert Tech MDR.

Now that was low. :)
I'm waiting for one of those too, but I haven't given them any money yet.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:22 AM, Cuz said:

Now that was low. :)
I'm waiting for one of those too, but I haven't given them any money yet.

I have had a deposit on the DT MDR since 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Burris yesterday on an unrelated matter and asked about the status of the RT-6. They said they just got in their first batch of 200 of them and they started shipping them out. Hopefully that means I'll get mine soon. For the price point I expect it to be on par with the Vortex Strike Eagle. 

-Cuz. 

I got one last week. From checking it out here in suburbia I can say the scope does not have the dark edges of the Strike Eagle. The illumination is NOT daylight bright, the reticle isn't distracting at all, at all magnifications the lines stay sharp and thin. 1X is a kinda-sorta a 2 eye affair, either it seems to be 1.125X when trying to use both eyes. Length and weight is pretty good. I like the intermediate OFF detents but would rather havemore brightness levels instead of 10 off positions.

20170730_150311.jpg

Edited by bossgvr4

Thanks for the report! I've been reading the reports on ARFCOM about the scope and it looks like another good option compared to the Vortex Strike Eagle and Primary Arms 1-6x. 

Since the reticle isn't daylight bright, it sounds like it's essentially the 1-6x version of the MTAC and that was a really good scope for the money too.

• 2 months later...

Got the scope and compared it to the only other variable I have, a gen 1 PST 1-4. Like the reticle as its cleaner and horse shoe is smaller. Very bright on highest setting, red is visible looking at bright sky. Pretty clear, on par with gen1 PST,  told by friend its just a bit less sharp than higher end scopes such as Bushnell Tactical Elite. Adjustment knobs have discernible but soft clicks, but the bands with markings on the knobs are pretty useless as they simply spin around the knobs, held stationary with minimal friction. Guess its meant to be sighted in and capped, using the reticle for poi changes. Hope the markings are correct for 223/556. Have not compared it to the SE or PA but so far am pleased. Shout out to MarkCO who spoke well of this scope.

Mark

• 5 months later...
On 1/22/2017 at 11:54 PM, Huch said:

Check out the Steiner p4xi 1-4x. I have one on my 3Gun rifle and it awesome. Like the Vortex Razor HDII, but only 4x and about $550. Has great glass, same reticle as the Razor and a daylight bright red dot in the center. I switched to one from a Strike Eagle 1-6x and love it. Even though I lost 2x on the top end, I shoot better at long distance with the Steiner because the glass is better and the reticle is much more precise (the reticle lines on the Strike Eagle are too thick so the holdover lines are worthless because they cover the entire target). I have mine in a cheap, lightweight Aero Precision mount and it has held zero since the day I mounted it.

I went for the P4xi as well.  Great value for really good glass.  So far the 4X hasn't been an issue.  The 1X is as close to a true 1X that I have seen in variable scopes.

Finally took the RT-6 to 100 yards. Nothing to compare it to other than a Vortex PST 1-4 and the sharpness is similar- able to see target clearly, .224 caliber holes on white paper are visible, although barely. Red in reticle on brightest setting is daylight visible, adjustments are reliable and repeatable. Probably not as good optically as much more expensive scopes, but very decent for a lower priced scope.  I like the low weight, 17 oz if IIRC, PST will be for sale.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I shot an RT-6 on my friend's rifle and I felt it was marginally better than the Strike Eagle/Primary Arms scopes.  On 1x there was noticeable optical shift transitioning between targets back and forth (I don't know if that's the right term ... basically it looked like the picture coming through the glass was distorted/wavy about the same as a strike eagle).  I don't notice that effect on a steiner p4xi or the $1000+ scopes I've used.

The reticle was great and glass was good at 200-300 yards.  

If it were true daylight bright, I'd probably look at it more.

In the ~$450-$500 price range I'd say the Steiner is better at short range paper 3gun stages and mid range out to 300 yards even at 1-4x just because of the daylight visible dot and the better glass. If your matches do a lot past 300 yards, then that 6x would help.

• 8 months later...

My RT-6 came with NO lens caps or lens covers. Every other scope I own came with lens caps. All my Burris XTR-II's came with Bikini style covers and a soft cloth scope cover. Is Burris cheaping out with this model or did I get a short packed box?

My RT-6 came with NO lens caps or lens covers. Every other scope I own came with lens caps. All my Burris XTR-II's came with Bikini style covers and a soft cloth scope cover. Is Burris cheaping out with this model or did I get a short packed box?

Mine didn’t have them either. When you figure out what brand/size works well please post here so I can order them for mine.

Thanks.

It's official from Burris.

Good afternoon,

The RT-6 does not come with lens caps or a scope cover.  

Thank You,

Burris Technical Support
https://burris.supportsync.com/ 1

They cheaped out. I cannot believe it. Even Tasco and Simmons care enough about their product to provide the user with some way of protecting their lenses!

With all the hype about this scope a while back... No protection for the lenses. The Shame of it all...