Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second Chance, now "Pin Shoot" in Michigan June 9 -16, 2017

On April 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM, pinblasteroh said:

I also asked about the shootoffs and 2 man teams and got a response they will all be shot with stock gun instead of the old pin guns with comps.  So this match is going to be very heavy on the iron sights for everyone. 

As it should be! We need to meet up for a beer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The 2018 match is over.... and a great time it was.

For those of you who have only heard about it, always wanted to attend but never did, 2019 is your chance. Dates are not yet up.

The restart has not been without a few hitches but I think that is to be expected. Attendance has been last year ~125, this year ~ 145, and that needs to grow. The shoot staff are committed to bringing The Pin Shoot back to its former glory, to this end there is a lot of brainstorming going on. In its heyday there were upward of 500 competitors but-- not the first year, nor the second, nor the third. I think there is a momentum going now, plus, Michael Bane and crew were there filming the daylights out of it and it's my understanding there will be a full episode about The Pin Shoot on The Outdoor Channel in February.That will surely generate some interest.

I had the usual great time and so did everyone in my bunch..... it's been great reconnecting with shooters from 20-plus years ago and meeting some new blood too. There were a few who were not yet in kindergarten when the last Second Chance took place, that came up and shot very well. It's been interesting last year and this year, how many guys said something like, "I heard it was on, and had to really dig to find the old pin gun which I have not shot since 1998. I grabbed this ammo, I THINK it's my old pin load, guess we'll see what happens...". And the ones I tracked shot very well! "Perishable skill".....? Sometimes it doesn't seem like it!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone in my circle is getting excited about this..... loading ammo, chrono- ing something new or just using old tried and true pin loads. The general consensus is that a 200 PF is the min. so a 200 H&G at 1000 gets it done. Guys often want to use the heavier bullets like 255's and they do work but of course the theory is they don't activate a compensator as well. I've gone as high as the Speer 260 and it takes them off but the problem with the heavy-slow approach is, if you get below 800 the incidence of bounce-backs seems to go up.

In my .50 GI I'm using 255 SWC's-- the look just like an H&G68 scaled up to .50 caliber. My load with Bullseye gets them going about 850 in the 5" barrel ("Stock Gun") and in the comped 6", about 900 ("Pin Gun"). I put a Vortex Venom on the Pin Gun and shoot the "Space Gun" event.

My .45 load for many years was a 215 Keith style wadcutter at 1020 using Blue Dot-- about a 219 PF. The consensus is that wide-meplat bullets give a little more roome for error side-to-side.

Michael Bane's Shooting Gallery was there in 2018 and did an episode on The Pin Shoot. No idea how to access the whole thing but here's a preview clip.

https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/shooting-gallery/videos/1630/331001

Note that at about 5 seconds there is a fly buzzing around the bowling pin and the >WHAM< here comes a .50GI bullet. The pin pivots and actually strikes the fly. I didn't mean to!

Unintentional screen shot below, no idea how I did that and can't seem to make it go away.

image.png

So bowling pins can definitely be, and are, shot with very stock guns. There is a Stock Gun category and this year I believe the only event that can be shot with a pin gun is the Pin Gun main event, same with Space Gun (a pin gun with optics). All other events that call for a major-caliber handgun (not talking USPSA Major) such as Two-Person Team, Three-Person Team, and the daily Shootoffs, need to be done with a stock gun.

Some .50GI tools for pin shooting in Pin and Space Gun:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Uim7S65.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNHueMF.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PUtbWL9.jpg?2[/img]

1 hour ago, Ned Christiansen said:

OK.... that was my first attempt at posting pics on this forum and looks like it flopped...... well, they can be seen elsewhere.

Here ya go:

Uim7S65.jpg?1

lNHueMF.jpg?1

PUtbWL9.jpg?2

Edited by ChuckS