Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SA mag release swap

fastlane604

When I switched to an extended mag release on my SP-01 DA/SA I backed out the staked screw that retains the mag release spring and trigger bar spring. I removed the springs and switched out the mag releases. Since I performed this operation with the hammer down, the trigger and trigger bar were far enough forward that I could back out the screw without removing the trigger or trigger bar.  With my 75 SA the trigger, being single action only, is located farther to the rear and the front of the trigger bar obstructs my access to the screw.  Unless I am missing something, to remove the screw to make the same mag release switch on my SA, I must remove the trigger and trigger bar, correct?

9 hours ago, fastlane604 said:
When I switched to an extended mag release on my SP-01 DA/SA I backed out the staked screw that retains the mag release spring and trigger bar spring. I removed the springs and switched out the mag releases. Since I performed this operation with the hammer down, the trigger and trigger bar were far enough forward that I could back out the screw without removing the trigger or trigger bar.  With my 75 SA the trigger, being single action only, is located farther to the rear and the front of the trigger bar obstructs my access to the screw.  Unless I am missing something, to remove the screw to make the same mag release switch on my SA, I must remove the trigger and trigger bar, correct?

Depending on which SA trigger you have, you may have to back out the pre travel screw to allow the trigger/trigger bar to move further forward.

I have two 75 SAs.  My 75b SA has the factory single action trigger which only has an over travel screw.  I have a 75 Shadow SA with the CZC flat faced single action trigger.  It has an over travel and a pre travel screw.  However, the pre travel screw is located at the top of the trigger and hidden within the trigger opening in the frame.  The over travel screw on the CZC trigger is unaccessible without removing the trigger.  It still appears that the trigger and trigger bar must come out.

1 minute ago, fastlane604 said:

I have two 75 SAs.  My 75b SA has the factory single action trigger which only has an over travel screw.  I have a 75 Shadow SA with the CZC flat faced single action trigger.  It has an over travel and a pre travel screw.  However, the pre travel screw is located at the top of the trigger and hidden within the trigger opening in the frame.  The over travel screw on the CZC trigger is unaccessible without removing the trigger.  It still appears that the trigger and trigger bar must come out.

Ah.  It's been a while since I messed with one of the SA triggers.  Does it look like that screw is preventing the trigger bar from going forward enough to take out the screw?

1 hour ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Ah.  It's been a while since I messed with one of the SA triggers.  Does it look like that screw is preventing the trigger bar from going forward enough to take out the screw?

It would be a guess, whether yes or no.  But, I can't adjust it and move it forward without taking it out, which really does seem counter productive.  However, the OEM SA trigger does not have the pre travel screw and its position still has the front of the trigger bar covering about half of the staked screw. 

Edited by fastlane604

• 2 weeks later...

I can now answer my own question. I swapped out my mag release tonight.  The trigger and trigger bar must come out to make the swap on a single action only trigger. However, the sear cage does not need to come out to remove the trigger and trigger bar.  Drive out the trigger pin and insert a slave pin.  Lift out the trigger and trigger bar (the rear of the trigger bar slides neatly from beneath the sear cage) with spring intact.  Swap out the mag release.  Reinstall the trigger and trigger bar using a CGW floating trigger pin.