Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major loads with new sti trubor

Kwal88007

Hello everyone,

i don't leave a whole lot of posts, I most read everyone elses stuff. I ran a glock 17 open gun last yr to see how i liked shooting uspsa, ipsc and steel challege.  So this shooting eason i have upgraded to  a new sti trubor 9mm with I really like shooting.  So i have been working up loads with Hs6 and 124gr fmj and also 126 hprn xtreme.  my loads have all been chronographed. The gun is brand new so tolerances r still tight.  my results are as follows

1/10/17

chrono was a caldwell

HS6 7.8gr.  3 -10 rnd strings  Average vel 1369  pf is 170  > still flat primers

this is with range brass, federal match primers  oal is 1.160 

i also ran 30 rnds w hs6 7.6 gr  pf was 168

I know the pf is low per open gun std  but i was getting primer flatting. cases look fine, gun cycles great. 

Back in Dec i chrono loads up to 8.2 grains hs6 avg vel was 1436 pf was 178 gain flat primers cases fine, a little snappy thou. 

So do i go a harder primer like cci 

I've ran about 800 rnds through the gun so far. 

Any thoughts would be well appreciated

tks ahead of time for comments. 

have never loaded 115's, before.  I have always loaded 124 in the glock.  personal preference i think.  I switched from cci to federal primers because of light strikes with the glock.  This is the first time i've loaded 9mm major.  So i'm up for loading help..

If you intend to shoot ipsc don't forget 120g minimum.

The biggest problem I've had loading 9 major over last few months is finding the right projectiles.For each profile you can easily plunk test to find max OAL but I've found more important to keeping pressure down (you will always get some primer flattening) is the depth the projectile is seated into the case. This determines the initial volume available at ignition and affects peak pressure. I'm not familiar with those you mentioned but I find if I seat to about 160thou pressure seems less, primers look better. Can you load longer? 

7 hours ago, Kwal88007 said:

HS6 7.8gr.  3 -10 rnd strings  Average vel 1369  pf is 170  > still flat primers

but i was getting primer flatting.

Any photos of the "primer flattening"?

If you've been shooting 9mm Minor, and just switched over to 9mm Major, you

might  be describing normal  primer flattening for 9mm Major.

Nobody going to take note of the fact that he's using federal primers? The softest primer out there, and using it for 9major. of course there're going to be flat. Fed primers out of my 929 revolver shooting minor are completely flat. while some other factors such as the concaved breechface on the revo might attribute to that, the fact that federals are  the softest primer you can buy I would assume that has something to do with it. 

Edited by Shmella

On 1/10/2017 at 10:07 PM, Kwal88007 said:

Hello everyone,

i don't leave a whole lot of posts, I most read everyone elses stuff. I ran a glock 17 open gun last yr to see how i liked shooting uspsa, ipsc and steel challege.  So this shooting eason i have upgraded to  a new sti trubor 9mm with I really like shooting.  So i have been working up loads with Hs6 and 124gr fmj and also 126 hprn xtreme.  my loads have all been chronographed. The gun is brand new so tolerances r still tight.  my results are as follows

1/10/17

chrono was a caldwell

this is with range brass, federal match primers  oal is 1.160 

i also ran 30 rnds w hs6 7.6 gr  pf was 168

I know the pf is low per open gun std  but i was getting primer flatting. cases look fine, gun cycles great. 

Back in Dec i chrono loads up to 8.2 grains hs6 avg vel was 1436 pf was 178 gain flat primers cases fine, a little snappy thou. 

So do i go a harder primer like cci 

I've ran about 800 rnds through the gun so far. 

Any thoughts would be well appreciated

tks ahead of time for comments. 

Switch to rifle primers. I run 8.2 gr of hs6 with federal small rifle primers. 124gr bullet. Shot thousands and thousands of them with no issues.