Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optic for 3-gun (factory)

DHwreckage

Hi guys,

i am looking at getting an optic for my AR for 3-gun, i will be shooting factory but cant decide between a red dot with a 2 moa circle and a red dot with a BDC. below are some of the optics i am looking at since i just sold my Vortex viper 1-4 pst (reason i sold the PST was because it was MOA, all my other scopes are Mil and it is easier to have all my scopes run the same system):

Conventional red dot:

Primary arms MD-ADS (http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-advanced-micro-dot-with-push-buttons-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life-md-ads)

Vortec Sparc AR (http://www.primaryarms.com/sparc-ar-red-dot-2-moa-bright-red-dot-spc-ar1)

Trijicon MRO (http://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon-mro2-0-moa-adjustable-red-dot-with-lower-1-3-co-witness-mount-mro-c-2200006)

BDC red dot:

Holosun 503G w/ acss reticle (http://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-paralow-hs503g-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle-hs503g-acss)

or should i just get another 1-x scope and shoot practical/tac ops. my reasoning for going to a red dot is because i dont run mag extensions on my AR or glock magazines so i will be at a little bit of a handy cap in tac ops. also i shoot my glock in uspsa so i would need to have a bunch of different sized magazines for each competition. let me know what you guys think!

For a SHTF gun or something like that I would get the MRO.

Fort 3gun:

I love tactical (edit: or Factory in 3gun nation rules)  division for the same reasons you do. It's less of an equipment race and much more affordable, imo. Easier to find a shotgun case, too, haha. For me, what I was most looking for was an optic that would allow some chance at longer range hits. I've found bloomy dots are tough for this. 

I settled on the Vortex Spitfire 1X Prism scope. Its almost like they made it for 3gun Tact div. The center dot is so much crisper I found it much easier for plates at 200+. And still fast.

It also is cleaner brighter glass (no color tint like most dots) and a huge FOV. Additionally, it can be used without illumination as the black reticle stadia lines are etched into the glass like a scope. So if a battery dies you are still running. I hardly ever even use the illumination, as the view is bright and the reticle crisp and easy to see over cardboard or steel.

But, useful daylight bright illumination is also there, and can be green or red. Comes with mount and all for 200$.

Very hard to beat, imo. I am a huge fan and haven't found any downsides, other than what dots I have feel like they suck now. You should check one out. Just my non-professional opinion!

EDIT: I kept saying "tactical division", but meant "Factory". My bad. 

Edited by NoKimberDave

Agree. Spitfire is awesome. the only downside I found is eye relief. At RM3G, they like to make you shoot off some odd props. A reverse roof will make you wish you had unlimited eye relief. It's only been an issue on 1/100 stages and it was an inconvenience at most.

I don't know what you mean by "factory", but for non-magnified optics in Limited division, it's hard to beat the trijicon MRO or Eotech. 

Mro is a crisp dot, but for any matches with long range, it's downside is a lack of a 3.5 illumination setting. 3 is too dim for anything other than heavy overcast, and 4 is too bright for anything short of full sun. 

Eotech has had reliability problems, but the 1moa dot is ideal.  

Wait for the new vortex uh1 to hit the market before buying anything.  

2017-01-11_08-45-55

I use an Aimpoint H2 in "Limited" or "Factory". I love having a red dot. The slight disadvantage at long range is more than made up for in short range. We're generally 300 yards or less. If it were more, I would move to Tactical and use my 1-6. 

Here's a short clip of a few stage of my last match. Shot 3rd overall and first in Limited. As you can see, a good red dot and knowing your zero can do you well in any division. 

17 hours ago, Bryan 45 said:

I don't know what you mean by "factory", but for non-magnified optics in Limited division, it's hard to beat the trijicon MRO or Eotech. 

Mro is a crisp dot, but for any matches with long range, it's downside is a lack of a 3.5 illumination setting. 3 is too dim for anything other than heavy overcast, and 4 is too bright for anything short of full sun. 

Eotech has had reliability problems, but the 1moa dot is ideal.  

Wait for the new vortex uh1 to hit the market before buying anything.  

Factory is a division in 3gun Nation style 3gun. It allows for one unmagnified optic on rifle.

3 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

Factory is a division in 3gun Nation style 3gun. It allows for one unmagnified optic on rifle.

Oh.  Yeah, I don't really follow that. 

Hopefully Vortex as fixed the Eotech reliability problems with their UH1. Very similar reticle, better battery life supposedly. But, it's not on the market yet, so some patience will be required. 

I have the spitfire and Holosun that I bought when I was going to go factory division. Ended up going to practical. Only used the spitfire in competition and it was great. Probably going to sell both but I believe either one would work great just depends on what reticle you like better. 

I've been using a Vortex Spitfire for the past 4 years in Limited, and at least 3 years of that I haven't actually turned it on at a match as I find the black reticle to be more then enough to shoot close up targets with no issue. This year I picked up a Spitfire AR with BDC dial, I'll still keep a standard 300 yard zero but I'm going to put a 500yard mark for those stages that have real far shots so I no longer have to float the "dot" above the target. Also I might put in a 15 yard zero mark for those "bay" only matches. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been using a Vortex Spitfire for the past 4 years in Limited, and at least 3 years of that I haven't actually turned it on at a match as I find the black reticle to be more then enough to shoot close up targets with no issue. This year I picked up a Spitfire AR with BDC dial, I'll still keep a standard 300 yard zero but I'm going to put a 500yard mark for those stages that have real far shots so I no longer have to float the "dot" above the target. Also I might put in a 15 yard zero mark for those "bay" only matches. 

Do you have a Front sight. I'm trying to keep costs down and get into factory with my current AR with A2 front post.

Astigmatism killed the idea of using a dot.