Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Shapes & Sizes - Fitting?

akeefer

Hey all,

I've always shot my 1911's and 2011's the best, but one thing that has me confused is all the trigger choices. We have flat triggers, short triggers, long triggers, etc. In shotguninng, we have the shotgun fit typically. Is there such thing for the 1911 trigger? Obviously I would think the longer triggers are for longer fingers, but also I guess it depends on what people want. Is it best to test different sizes so that your fingerpad falls in the correct location on the trigger? (Speaking of that, is there a "correct" location on the finger or is it just preference?)

On my inherited bullseye 1911, the trigger is GI style, super super short. This isn't ideal for me I believe, but not sure why they came this way in the first place. I think it's still set up this way because the gun was used in CMP matches, which I seem to recall require it to be GI condition.

Well, anyway, any thoughts on this topic of fitting triggers? Trying to decide which to buy to put in my 1911.

Thanks!

Trigger fitting sucks in my view.  I have been running SVI triggers so I can try the different shoes out.  I started with an STI regular curve trigger and found it was too short for my comfort.  I then went to a long flat SVI trigger and liked it 90% of the time.  But I found I occasionally did not seat my finger correctly on the pad and I'd push a shot to 9oclock.  I've since installed to the SVI medium flat insert and have liked that the best for SVI.  I'd love to try out the enos curves but I'm not going to drop $60 for those just to try them out. 

The X-Line Vario trigger has also made me a happy person, as the trigger shoe is adjustable in length by a few mm, and you can dial it in for your liking. They ship from germany with out any issues and offer drop in style STI triggers and fit in triggers.  The drop in required just a tad bit of filing on the trigger shoe area of the frame for smooth action. 

As far as finger placement, in the center of your first pad.  Except for glocks I go slightly more towards the joint due to trigger weight on the carry guns. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

I have found the trigger length and shape to be fairly important.

personally, if the trigger is too long I tend to push left, and too short, I pull it right.

the curved triggers help me center my finger on the trigger better. The flat ones make the pull weight feel lighter for some reason.

The length adjustability of the X-Line Vario Trigger is perfect for the guy wanting to experiment with different lengths. If you screw the shoe all the way in and it's still to long, material can be removed from the rear of the shoe to make it even shorter. I've been using the Vario Convex and my finger seems to find the center of the shoe every time. 

IMG_1065.JPG