Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did anyone use Glocks for competitions?

Fung

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Fung said:

My friend invited me to participate in a small shooting competition and I was wondering if a Glock is good to use in them. I only used Glocks and I read this article  about Glocks in competitions so I was wondering how good they are for them.

Search on youtube 

kc eusebio

tori nonaka

shane cooley

3 hours ago, mitchiepinoy said:

Search on youtube 

kc eusebio

tori nonaka

shane cooley

Why?  

She does shoot a Glock in competition so,.....

OP - the IDPA nationals is won every year by Bob Vogel.  He's also a top competitor in USPSA.

Glocks help shooters in some competitions. I have been using one in USPSA and it's great. Primarily, I prize it's reliability and quickness to the first shot on target. It has plenty of other strengths too.

Glocks are not standouts in a few kinds of competitions. One rarely sees them in formal bullseye matches. They don't seem to "help" shooters excel in formal bullseye as much as some other pistol models do. But, Glocks are inherently very accurate and a few folks have fired very tight groups with them.

Mine won an Illinois state IDPA match a couple years ago. They are competitive in the SSP division, right out of the box.

Holster, mag carrier and some training is about all you need.

Find a local club that is an IDPA affiliate.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Fung, even though Glocks are not real guns (we call them non guns), like STI's, you do see allot of them in USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun, don't know about IPSC, we don't shoot that in the USA... Vogel is the top Glocker right now, but he's weird because he started with an STI and went to a Glock, where most of the top guys started with Glocks and went to STI's, like Taran Butler. If you are new to competition, even local action matches, then you can't go wrong with a Glock to start. Keep in mind there is allot more going on in competition than just the gun, you need to have the fundamentals under your belt: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then transition and movement. Once most guys make USPSA Master Class, they usually switch to an STI.

By the way, KC hasn't shot for Glock in several years. He tried H&K for as short time but couldn't make them go fast. He shoots an Open STI today, like when he was little and the gun was big, now he is big and the gun is little. I've known him since he was no taller than the top of my gun belt.

Edited by 9x45

Fung, your reference article was not written by someone who is a shooter, nor does he know anything about USPSA rules, and probably has never even shot any sanctioned competition match.

"The G17L will not even fit into the regulation box for IDPA or UPSA competition, rendering it virtually useless in many sanctioned or official competitions"

Wrong, yes it is USPSA legal in Open, Limited and Limited 10, the same for MultiGun and also legal for Steel Challenge in Open and Limited. Plus IDPA under Special Divisions (SPD) at the club level ( other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions).

" To make a long story short, at one competition some disagreements over which bullet hole belonged to whose gun led to some tension, and a few punches later my Dad was banned from the local gun range."

I doubt that was a USPSA match, not even a Level 1. But yes, he could be banned from not only the Range, but also by hosting blub the match (even if it was non sanctioned). USPSA has a specific procedure for banning.

6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at the match director’s discretion, if the person:
a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or
b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match, or which would bring disrepute to the sport.
6.4.5 A Match Director enforcing Rule 6.4.4 must submit a detailed report to USPSA within seven days of the occurrence.

Edited by 9x45

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

Fung, even though Glocks are not real guns (we call them non guns), like STI's, you do see allot of them in USPSA/IDPA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun, don't know about IPSC, we don't shoot that in the USA... Vogel is the top Glocker right now, but he's weird because he started with an STI and went to a Glock, where most of the top guys started with Glocks and went to STI's, like Taran Butler. If you are new to competition, even local action matches, then you can't go wrong with a Glock to start. Keep in mind there is allot more going on in competition than just the gun, you need to have the fundamentals under your belt: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Then transition and movement. Once most guys make USPSA Master Class, they usually switch to an STI.

By the way, KC hasn't shot for Glock in several years. He tried H&K for as short time but couldn't make them go fast. He shoots an Open STI today, like when he was little and the gun was big, now he is big and the gun is little. I've known him since he was no taller than the top of my gun belt.

Yes, BUT, did he not win with a Glock?

I shoot one in USPSA production, see lots of others there. A few in limited. And even an occasional one in open.

In the non-sanctioned action pistol match I shoot 1/3-1/2 the field will be Glocks. They may not be the best, but they are adequate for most pistol matches.

KC won a bunch of matches, some with Glocks, most with Open STIs. He was only with Glock for about 3 years. Simple facts are Open Glocks don't live as long as Open STI guns. STI dominates both Open/Limited and Limited 10, Glock is about 28% in Production versus 35% CZs. 

2 hours ago, 9x45 said:

KC won a bunch of matches, some with Glocks, most with Open STIs. He was only with Glock for about 3 years. Simple facts are Open Glocks don't live as long as Open STI guns. STI dominates both Open/Limited and Limited 10, Glock is about 28% in Production versus 35% CZs. 

I don't believe that Glocks are only 28% while CZ is at 35%, at local matches in variois places I have hardly ever seen CZ's but always see Glocks and other polymer frame guns. 

Fung, your reference article was not written by someone who is a shooter, nor does he know anything about USPSA rules, and probably has never even shot any sanctioned competition match.

"The G17L will not even fit into the regulation box for IDPA or UPSA competition, rendering it virtually useless in many sanctioned or official competitions"

Wrong, yes it is USPSA legal in Open, Limited and Limited 10, the same for MultiGun and also legal for Steel Challenge in Open and Limited. Plus IDPA under Special Divisions (SPD) at the club level ( other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions).

completely agree!!! Bob Vogel shoots with a G24 the .40 version of the G17L!

As for accuracy the Glock is extremely accurate. If you change the sights!

The cost to run them is unmatched! Parts are everywhere! And you don't need to be a gun smith to fix them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, JHOWARD said:

What is it about a 2011 that makes it better?  I owned one, and I'll admit they're DEFINITELY nice shooting guns, but I ASSumed that it was mostly due to weight. 

Weight is one, if you want weight. Generally good triggers - or it is relatively easy to get a good trigger. Lots of tuning parts available. Many like the grip ... I actually prefer the Glock grip angle. And --- because it is 2011, and not some ugly newfangled plastic gun.

There's big variety in Glock triggers. The one on my old Glock is pretty good.

None of this really matters if you are going to a contest to give it a try or simply have a good time.

2011's have the weight, but also the short reset trigger, something a Glock will never have because of the design. But CZs also have very nice short reset triggers  which is why they are taking over Glocks in Production. The short triggers make it easier to shoot. Now if you are only going to a match to play and have fun, no big deal. If want to win, that's different.

By the way, Vogel runs a bunch of Glocks, depending on the game, and division. G17/G34/G35/G21SF and a G24.