Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Affordable Adjustable Gas Block

Need help on choosing AGB between Seekins and Parallax. I'm building a lightweight upper and this 2 seem to be in the lowest price. Inputs will be very helpful on both based on your experience. Suggestions are also welcome.

BTW, it's 0.625 variant.

Thanks.

Edited by timawa

From what I've seen first-hand with my experiences and seen and heard second-hand, almost all of them will likely "freeze" up over time. If you keep your ammo consistent, this shouldn't be a problem. Could get into a sticky situation (pun intended) if you are constantly changing loads over time...

32 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

From what I've seen first-hand with my experiences and seen and heard second-hand, almost all of them will likely "freeze" up over time. If you keep your ammo consistent, this shouldn't be a problem. Could get into a sticky situation (pun intended) if you are constantly changing loads over time...

You are right. The reason why I rather have the cheap ones so just in case it freeze up or stop functioning I could afford to get a new one.

Seekins has one that is approximately $55. It has 2 screws, one on the side and one on the end. The screw on the side adjusts the gas volume the screw on the end locks the adjustment screw in place.

4 hours ago, BradfromND said:

Check out ergo too. I like that they cut off the gas before the tube vs the screw going through the tube.

Is this somewhat like the Superlative Arms AGB where "bleed" the gas? Nice concept tho but I cannot afford it.

36 minutes ago, timawa said:

Is this somewhat like the Superlative Arms AGB where "bleed" the gas? Nice concept tho but I cannot afford it.

It's not a bleeder type.  The set screw that shuts off the gas is below the opening in the gas tube.  All the others I've seen have the set screw actually go through the opening in tube.  Every time I have tried to replace the tube, the set screw through the hole has seized up and strips out.  With the screw below the tube, you don't have that same problem.  Although at around $50 for a gas block and $15 for a tube, I consider them a consumable item and don't have a problem just replacing them at the end of a shooting season.  It's no different then changing the oil in your vehicle. 

36 minutes ago, timawa said:

The only size I can find in the market from Seekins is .750. Is there actually a .625? I might end up getting Parralax.

I think the Seekins only comes in .750 I missed you needed a .625 or I would have never suggested it.

14 hours ago, BradfromND said:

It's not a bleeder type.  The set screw that shuts off the gas is below the opening in the gas tube.  All the others I've seen have the set screw actually go through the opening in tube.  Every time I have tried to replace the tube, the set screw through the hole has seized up and strips out.  With the screw below the tube, you don't have that same problem.  Although at around $50 for a gas block and $15 for a tube, I consider them a consumable item and don't have a problem just replacing them at the end of a shooting season.  It's no different then changing the oil in your vehicle

18 hours ago, JHOWARD said:

I really like my SLR. I know you didnt ask that, but I really think it was worth the extra. 

I have the .750 on one of my rifle that I currently use for 3gun but I find it heavy. So I decided to build a lightweight upper ended up getting a faxon barrel which uses .625. I might end up with another SLR since I spent the whole day on the internet finding a cheaper/decent .625 AGB but to no avail. I thought parallax have one, but not. BTE, no luck either, their clamp on .625 is out of stock. 

I'll give the other brands a week then after that I'll get SLR for good.

Not cheap and out of stock but if you do not mind a more complex set up http://micromoa.com/625-diameter-govnah/ should be as durable as it gets. 3 position gas port plate blanks are $20 and should be the only wear item. You would probably need to drill them out yourself to set up for optimal gas. . Though about using one on my last build but wasn't interested in the set up and not a fan of set screw blocks.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/parallax-tactical-super-light-low-profile-steel-front-adjustable-gas-block-625.html shows the paralax in stock.

2 hours ago, timawa said:

I have the .750 on one of my rifle that I currently use for 3gun but I find it heavy. So I decided to build a lightweight upper ended up getting a faxon barrel which uses .625. I might end up with another SLR since I spent the whole day on the internet finding a cheaper/decent .625 AGB but to no avail. I thought parallax have one, but not. BTE, no luck either, their clamp on .625 is out of stock. 

I'll give the other brands a week then after that I'll get SLR for good.

Weird. Mine is super lightweight IMO. Not Ti lightweight, but about the same as the BCM non adjustable that came off. 

14 hours ago, Chip3 said:

Not cheap and out of stock but if you do not mind a more complex set up http://micromoa.com/625-diameter-govnah/ should be as durable as it gets. 3 position gas port plate blanks are $20 and should be the only wear item. You would probably need to drill them out yourself to set up for optimal gas. . Though about using one on my last build but wasn't interested in the set up and not a fan of set screw blocks.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/parallax-tactical-super-light-low-profile-steel-front-adjustable-gas-block-625.html shows the paralax in stock.

Thank you for the link but I prefer clamp on. 

13 hours ago, JHOWARD said:

Weird. Mine is super lightweight IMO. Not Ti lightweight, but about the same as the BCM non adjustable that came off. 

I'm sorry it's not the SLR I was talking about it was the rifle. 

I just put a SLR .625 clamp on onto my 18" Faxon gunner barrel. So sweet.

Just couldn't manage to find a cheaper solution, and I tried. Oh how I tried. 100$ + for a gas block makes me mad.

But I've bought two SLR's now and been happy. I don't dick around with adjusting it too much. Once it is set, I leave it alone. 

3 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

I just put a SLR .625 clamp on onto my 18" Faxon gunner barrel. So sweet.

Just couldn't manage to find a cheaper solution, and I tried. Oh how I tried. 100$ + for a gas block makes me mad.

But I've bought two SLR's now and been happy. I don't dick around with adjusting it too much. Once it is set, I leave it alone. 

I just realized that lightweight and cheaper doesn't go along together. I going that route now.