Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm in the market for new flashlight. Basically a general purpose one, not planning on mounting it on anything just hand held. Nothing huge maybe 6 to 8 inches long. Would want it to be rechargable and be LED if possible. Hoping to stay near or under 100 bucks. Any recommendations or experience with lights with these parameters? Thanks

This Streamlight is a great light and I've had one for over a year now. I haven't shopped around lately, but Zoro is usually pretty solid on their pricing. Surefire also makes quality flashlights.

https://www.zoro.com/streamlight-industrial-handheld-light-led-black-75834/i/G0780491/?gclid=CIv1tu20q9ECFZSIfgodwMcLDg&gclsrc=aw.ds

IHMSA15151,

are you looking for a flashlight that has an integrated battery that you place on a charger?  or one that will accept rechargeable batteries?  For me, the latter is preferable because you can obviously change out the batteries as needed.

to me, the benchmark flashlight for general use is the Surefire P2X Fury tactical.  it has a twist-on/off switch with a momentary on by pressing the power button. 

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/p2x-fury-1.html

of course, it doesn't fit either of your criteria--under $100 or rechargeable--it will accept rechargeable 16340 cells (the rechargeable version of the CR123).  However, 16340 batteries are relatively low power and what you want is a light that will accept an 18650 battery, which is the size of two CR123s, but 2mm thicker.  They simply won't fit in that light.

Surefire makes a version of that light that will accept 18650s, but it's even more expensive

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/p1r-b-peacekeeper.html

For a light that i really like that takes 18650s, i would strongly consider the Fenix PD35.   It has a great beam, long run time, and multiple brightness modes that are easy and not confusing to switch through.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Flashlight-EdisonBright-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B00DR9GWX0

I have two of them and actually use one as a bike headlight.   I can say this--if i lost one of my PD35s, i would replace it with another without hesitation.  (Same for the surefire fury)

Here's a better deal on the PD35(and i think you can get 10% off if you sign up with their email--check it out)

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-led-flashlight-960-lumens/

For a little more $100, you could buy a PD35, a charger, and at least one 18650.

One place you might look for research is goinggear.com   I have no affiliation with them, but they put out tons of vids on youtube reviewing flashlights, and they are 2A friendly.   Frankly, you could call them or email them and ask for suggestions and get good advice.  

Here's two great 18650s and a charger for $42

http://goinggear.com/nitecore-i2-and-olight-18650-bundle-intellicharge-battery-charger-2-x-olight-3400-mah-18650-lithium-ion-rechargeable-battery.html

also, don't be seduced by lumen ratings.  i have both of these lights and there is very little difference (if any) between a 600 lumen surefire and a 1000 lumen fenix. 

Good luck and let us know what you get

Edited by funkymonkey1111

Add Battery Junction and Amazon to places to shop.

I'll second the recommendation for a Fenix PD35 -- I own three of them, one the regular version that's easy to change modes on; the other two are the TAC version.

The TAC version requires a little more effort to change modes, but remembers the mode it was set to -- a huge help when I'm out for my nightly walk to pick up dinner, and crossing a busy road.  Despite the marked crosswalk and red light, there's usually one person who wants to make right on red without stopping each week.  1000 lumens pointed at their windshield tends to get them to wake up, and hit the brakes.

18650s rock, and in a pinch the light can run on CR123s.  You can sometimes find a combo pack on Amazon for light, batteries and charger....

If you want something small, cheap, yet pretty bright, check out a Coast HP1 (around $10 on Amazon).  I put a Sanyo 14500 840mah 3.7V rechargeable LiON battery in it and it's bright for the size!  190 lumens.  Maybe too small/cheap/dim for your purposes, but for everyday use, I've found it to be awesome (have 10 scattered throughout the house, car, range bag, etc.).  

On 1/7/2017 at 10:32 PM, IHMSA15151 said:

Thanks for all the great input. I think I will go with the Fenix PG35. 

Let me know what you think about this. I am looking into getting one soon.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:34 PM, Nik Habicht said:

Add Battery Junction and Amazon to places to shop.

I'll second the recommendation for a Fenix PD35 -- I own three of them, one the regular version that's easy to change modes on; the other two are the TAC version.

The TAC version requires a little more effort to change modes, but remembers the mode it was set to -- a huge help when I'm out for my nightly walk to pick up dinner, and crossing a busy road.  Despite the marked crosswalk and red light, there's usually one person who wants to make right on red without stopping each week.  1000 lumens pointed at their windshield tends to get them to wake up, and hit the brakes.

18650s rock, and in a pinch the light can run on CR123s.  You can sometimes find a combo pack on Amazon for light, batteries and charger....

Does the regular version not remember the mode it was last on? Thinking of getting one for daily carry, and want to be able to have it on bright from the start rather than cycling through modes.

With no intent to make this is a blantant advertisement for the inexpensive flashlight I have in classifieds right now (ahem, ahem), I'm a huge fan of Fenix flashlights and have bought several over the years.  Having said that, last year I won an InForce 9vx at a competition, and I really like it.  I'm still getting used to the programable button, but its very powerful, lightweight, and so far very forgiving on the battery.  I might be converted from Fenix to InForce lights now.  What's nice about the InForce is that it's made of some sort of plastic that is lightweight and compact, so it takes three batteries but is roughtly the same size and weight as my other flashlights that only use two batteries.  It also has a really nice heat dissipation system around the bulb.  My next flashlight purchase for the pocket will probably be an InForce 6vt, which looks close to perfect for my desires:  http://www.inforce-mil.com/inforce-6vt.html 

On January 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM, anbrumm said:

Let me know what you think about this. I am looking into getting one soon.

Does the regular version not remember the mode it was last on? Thinking of getting one for daily carry, and want to be able to have it on bright from the start rather than cycling through modes.

The regular version remembers -- but it takes just a bump of the side buttons to change the setting.  On the TAC version -- it's a little more complicated -- can't remember how it works, might be press and hold.

For my use with the TAC lights, I want Max power if I need to turn it on.  For subtle I've got a little light that runs on a single CR123 and could be used to check pupils on its lowest setting...

After reading this thread, I'm intrigued with 18650 based flashlights.  I just ordered a ThruNite TN12.  Now I'm eyeing a PD35 and perhaps a Nitecore P12.  Thanks alot guys :P

Edited by EDA

On 1/24/2017 at 9:26 PM, EDA said:

After reading this thread, I'm intrigued with 18650 based flashlights.  I just ordered a ThruNite TN12.  Now I'm eyeing a PD35 and perhaps a Nitecore P12.  Thanks alot guys :P

I was asking at a local knife shop about fenix vs. Nitecore. They said they are both made with same quality, and both are made in China. Biggest difference was Fenix has repair facilities in the US, where as Nitecore you have to send to China to get repaired.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a powertac e5 at a gun show 4 years ago with a rechargeable battery kit for around $100. I'm a building inspector and use it daily. Sometimes I even use the bezel to chip weld slag. Very often I use it to open beer. Point being, my Streamlights all had problems within a year, I have used this daily for years without a hitch. Highly recommend.

As a flashlight aficionado who has probably spent enough as much on flashlights as on guns, the lights that I like the most are 

1. Thrunite  - I've only broken one of their lights, 30 foot drop onto concrete and they sent me a new switch assembly for it the day I called them

2. Solarforce - these things are the ar-15 of flashlights, custom dropins from mild all day use to wild customs that cost hundreds for just the dropin. Great lights, fit and finish are fantastic.

3. Shadow - they make some very sexy lights, the jm26 is a favorite of mine

4. crelant - pricier than others, but the quality is fantastic.

I own 8 different Felix models depending on my usage from my EDC all the way up to 4,000 watts. I inspect large commercial & industrial buildings damaged by fire/hurricane or any other insured covered peril. I need the most dependable flashlight available & Felix has never let me down.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I would recommend a Zebralight SC52. Great for edc, not too large or small. Uses common double AA's if you forget to recharge your batteries. Durable and the button is great.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

I have a Streamlight Strion LED HL (500 lumens), length about 6 inches, and paid a bit more than $100, I'm afraid.

Rechargeable, strobe feature, and bright as hell. Almost TOO bright.

But for sure you'll blind a bad guy with it, then strobe him silly and you'll have an incapacitated bad guy, I bet.

Edited by SiG Lady

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know of a quality polymer-bodied light with a 1" body (or possibly a 1" head) and only uses a single CR123A battery?  I have a mount that I really like for a 1" light, but I want to keep the weight of the light down as much as possible.  I ran it with my Fenix PD35 for a bit, but the Fenix has a smaller body that was slightly problematic even after I fashioned some spacers, and so that's back in my pocket for EDC.  

I'd really like something with a single mode bulb and plane-jana tactical button on the rear.  I just want something lightweight, super simple, reliable... and kinda cheap.  If it ends up getting pricey, I'll just sell my mount and get an InForce WML.