Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM Two Mag Extender Colt Type..Very Heavy

TACCOM calls it their coupler, but it works more like a mag extension than a mag coupler. Mine combines a 32 round Metalform and a 20 round Metalform and works fine.  You do need 3 hands to assemble or, as I did, ask the wife or a kid for some help.  I haven't shot a match with it yet, but  am thinking the weight and awkward movement swinging the carbine with that long heavy magazine assembly may end up taking more time during a stage of fire than just using the regular 32 round mag to start with and then having to reload once.  Has anyone used the TACCOM for a match and if so how did the carbine handle with target transitions? 

I've thought about the extensions instead of the TACCOM coupler. My thoughts were that to be worthwhile at least 10 rounds more than the 32 would be needed.  I'll have to go back and look at TACOM's 10 round extension.  I've used the 32 round mags in numerous local matches and the PCC feels "lively" enough, but the 32 and 20 rounds together seems drastically different. so, may be that 32 and 10 round combination would be good; certainly enough mag capacity for any USPSA stage yet still handy enough for quick transitions.

Hello: Just because you have one big stick doesn't mean you have to use it on every stage. I think it would be good for those stages with less movement and lots of steel. I don't think it would be that bad using a 32 and a 20 round mag. 32 and 32 may give you some pendulum effect but it may actually make the rifle more stable for long shots because of the extra weight. Only you will be able to decide if it works. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric,  Well, just in some practice with the 32+20 I'm under the impression that it doesn't work for me.  Just for simple transitions; eyes snap to the next target, carbine follows but doesn't start nor stop nearly as as quickly as when using a 32 round mag.  The most disagreeable part is that  "Pendulum effect" you mentioned.  the inertia built up with that long and very heavy mag tends to noticeably torque the carbine clockwise or counterclockwise with transitions.  Mr. Blagga seems to like his 60 rounders which have got to be about like lugging barbells taped under your carbine :)  Maybe he has retro rockets attached to his mag to arrest the inertia.  I'm really thinking a 2 second reload, especially on the move, would be quicker than no reload with many transitions in a long stage with the "pendulum" swinging around under your PCC.  I'll try the 32-20 mag coupler in a local match, but I'm already fairly convinced to try a 10 round extension for my 32 round mag.

Hello: Looks like you made up your mind about the coupler. I have gotten my shot to shot reloads down to the 2 second mark now and some under that. I think depending on the stage a reload may work very well. Kinda like shooting open which I also shoot. For me I will be using base pads for the Colt mags as soon as I see what all the options will be in a couple of months. I did that with my Glock carbine big sticks years ago for my Mech Tech. I found 38 rounds will do most stages which would be just a base pad change. Keep us posted on how the really big stick does. Thanks, Eric

The 'big stick' is a mag that you have in your bag for when you need it.......i see no reason to use it on 24 round stage. However, you get in to an outlaw stage, which you KNOW is going to happen this next year and you'll be glad you have 50+ rounds with out a reload. 

TACCOM, does not offer a +10 extension for anything......but we do have a free down load area for you guys that have 3d printers, so you can make your own.

As for the weight.......yeah, I'm not a fan of 2 big sticks (32+32).......I'm running 32 and 20 for colt, 31 and 17 for glock.......I'm old and slow, but have not noticed that the extra weight at the mid point of the firearm has slowed my swing. I will say......having extra weight out in front of the magazine (barrel, comp and HG) can slow me down a lot. I'm going to be taking care of that VERY soon.

Tim

PS.....if you guys are on Face Book, see if you can't find Jay Carillo's video shooting an indoor match with his Glock and coupled mags.......doesn't seem to slow him down at all.

Edited by TRUBL
5 hours ago, TRUBL said:

TACCOM, does not offer a +10 extension for anything......but we do have a free down load area for you guys that have 3d printers, so you can make your own.

I downloaded this and printed it out at 101% as recommended and it turned out great. Fits my Metalform Colt mags perfectly for 40 rounds. This is now my go to mag for most all stages. I've never noticed it slowing me down any.

I think the "extra weight makes it hard to move" thing is way overblown. Until you get to absurd weight differences it is more of a mental thing that anything else. Or maybe I'm just really strong.

Overall weight is also a consideration.  A drum?  50 rounds is still 50 rounds in a long box or round one; maybe if doing an Al Capone imitation :)  For shooting Steel Challenge matches everything I've seen, heard, and read indicates the lighter the gun the quicker the transitions.  Steel Challenge has 5 plates requiring a very quick draw/presentation and lightning quick transitions.between the plates.  I have both my full sized AR 9mm and my S&W M&P 15-22 which is much lighter than the AR 9mm even with no mags inserted.  With the light weight of the .22s and mag the 15-22 is easily 1/2 the weight of the AR 9mm.  Especially when locked and loaded with that 32-20 mag combination.  In practice alternating between the .M&P 15-22 and the AR 9mm it's just so obvious the light one is much quicker on the transitions.  OK, maybe it's not completely fair to compare the .22 and the 9mm due to sifferent dot bounce, but at least it can give some indications.  I also know that I don't use the 32-20 round mag combination to shoot a steel match, but again, it gives me an indication about weight difference and transitions.  

Like someone above mentioned.  That yuge stick (D. Trump influence) 32-20 mag combination will be in my range bag, but probably won't be used routinely.  It's a reliable mag and I'm happy to own it, but will probably use my 20 rounders and 32s more often.