Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tested!! Hammer springs & PF Firing Pin Pencil Test

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfecta, aguila? jesus man.

Yeah.... no funds or room for a reloader.

The Agulia is pretty nice, the Perfecta is plain old inexpensive (under $10 per box) but a little hot for competition.
Tried CCI Blazer ... had no trouble setting off primers but they didn't like to extract for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9 hours ago, IronArcher said:

Not really.

:( 

Well, the good new is... I shot a match this weekend with the PD 13 installed and some deeply-seated Winchester primers. The gun ran like a champ.

However, in dryfire I was noticing that the lighter trigger didn't handle any different in drills than the heavier pull with the EGD Medium.

Yesterday's match confirmed that. I am completely certain that I'd have shot the same exact score. I'll likely go back to the heavy spring permanently after doing some testing.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Any feeling about first DA shot time / accuracy difference between springs?

I'm  finding the heavy DA forces  a slower, more deliberate motion to stay on target and be accurate .  As I'm trying to increase accuracy of 1st shot and not mentally jump to the next target, heavy is a good training tool.  but.... at 8 1/2 pounds....it is slower for that da.  probably 1/3 - 1/2 sec.  across a match... significant.

But our first matches ar MONTHS away. Time to fix my technique and move to a sweet PDO spring.

56 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

You guys are killing me with this flip flopping back and forth on spring weights. First its "lets go as light as possible" now it's "i want to set off depleted uranium cuped primers........". How bout we do a 22lb hammer spring and call it good.....

lol

Edited by DOODS
Change

At least some of us have been stubbornly happy with a heavy trigger the whole time.

I have no long term plan to shoot Winchester primed ammo, I was just curious to see if the popular combination of PD 13 & Win SP would run in my gun. It did. I'm done now.

I'll be going back to my "soviet tank armor" primers, as @johnbu describes them. :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I did one "better" — Loaded up 250 rounds w/ Win SPP to test out the #12 PDO spring. First 50 were DA only...kind of a pain, but did it for the sake of mini-testing the reliability.  Results were 50/50.  The rest were just hosing in DA/SA.  All went bang.  My stash of Federals for actual matches should be gtg w/ this spring.  I don't have the guts to run the #10 spring in a match, even w/ Feds. 

3 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

You guys are killing me with this flip flopping back and forth on spring weights. First its "lets go as light as possible" now it's "i want to set off depleted uranium cuped primers........". How bout we do a 22lb hammer spring and call it good.....

22# ??? Pfffft! Wolff already sells them.

You can optimize coil springs from a 1 ton dually!  that should be a decent 5000# da. And pencil tests can double as anti- satellite weapon systems.

I previously ran #14 and, to my knowledge, I didn't have light strike issues.
No polish, just spring and a longer lighter pin.
Did the polish, and was hoping that would let me run #13.
It wasn't
So I thought I would try #14, not reliable enough.
Heavier pin, not reliable enough.
Ordered the #15.5 soon as it was available... still no Bueno.
Looks like #16.5 will be my salvation.

Admittedly, I am using parts that were NOT designed for my gun... I made them work.
Now I'm finding they need just a bit more spring to be 100% on the worlds hardest primers.

Even so, the trigger is worlds better. This is just one step at a time tuning.

3 hours ago, IronArcher said:

Now I'm finding they need just a bit more spring to be 100% on the worlds hardest primers.

Maybe buying primers from "Diamond Primer Company" wasn't the best thing?

Lol

7 hours ago, johnbu said:

22# ??? Pfffft! Wolff already sells them.

You can optimize coil springs from a 1 ton dually!  that should be a decent 5000# da. And pencil tests can double as anti- satellite weapon systems.

that might be two complicated because with the spring installed does that make it an AOW or possibly a Destructive Device requiring further paperwork and licensing from the ATF since it destroys deep space satellites?

20 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

that might be two complicated because with the spring installed does that make it an AOW or possibly a Destructive Device requiring further paperwork and licensing from the ATF since it destroys deep space satellites?

Well, that might depend on what you call it. For instance, in New Jersey, you're not allowed to have a muzzle device that suppresses any flash. However, when I called the state police to ask what constitutes a flash hider from a non-flash hiding device, I was told that as long as the muzzle device does not have the words "flash hider" in its name, I'm good to go, even if it might suppress flash a bit.   

So, in New Jersey, all you have to do is market it as a heavy duty spring, and you're good, even if it can take out satellites hundreds of miles away from the earth's surface.

4 hours ago, IronArcher said:

I previously ran #14 and, to my knowledge, I didn't have light strike issues.
No polish, just spring and a longer lighter pin.
Did the polish, and was hoping that would let me run #13.
It wasn't
So I thought I would try #14, not reliable enough.
Heavier pin, not reliable enough.
Ordered the #15.5 soon as it was available... still no Bueno.
Looks like #16.5 will be my salvation.

Admittedly, I am using parts that were NOT designed for my gun... I made them work.

Even so, the trigger is worlds better. This is just one step at a time tuning.

Not w/ Wins.  You running CCI?

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

Just call it a  #2 hyper sonic pencil tester. 

Hmmm, i wonder how well the pencils will do at escape velocity of 7 miles/sec ?