Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0

TacticalReload

I picked up a 4.25" barreled full size 9 which I plan to shoot in IDPA.  I've put 905 rounds through it so far with no  malfunctions.  In testing for accuracy at 25 yards it was slightly more accurate than my HK P30L, by about 10% or so (averaging 3.3" groups at 25 yd with 147 gr +p HST).  It was also grouping under 4" consistently with blazer brass 124 gr.  Safe to say there is no accuracy issue with the 9mm, at least with the pistol I purchased.   I will do some 50 yard testing with it later.

I have yet to experience any auto-forwarding on the reloads with the 2.0.  The slide stop on the left side of the gun (for right handed shooting) is easy to manipulate.  The slide release on the right side (for left handers) is about impossible to drop the slide with.  Luckily I am right handed.  My wife might have to stick with the 1.0 since she's a lefty though. I'll be selling my older M&P's if I can find anyone willing to give me a fair price for them and upgrading to the 2.0's as they make more models; not interested in a 5" until they make them without the thumb safety. 

I do like the aggressive stippling.  It makes a consistent grip easier to maintain on the draw and through recoil, although the tighter you squeeze, the more it hurts.   

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

4 inches at 25yd isn't great at all, but it's better than the old guns were.

Yeah, and if I'm shooting slightly worse with an HK than I am with the m&p 2.0, I won't complain about accuracy.. Mechanically, the gun is probably doing at least 25℅ better than that, since I suck.  I think Randy said most hks are mechanically capable of 2" at 25.

Anybody tested the trigger pull weight?
It'll be April 1 soon and then I'll know whether this gun has made the IPSC Production Division list.

Without getting into a steel vs. polymer frame debate, this gun looks competitive.

Edited by Lior

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, beckham said:

Any word on when a 5" without the thumb safety and without the loaded chamber indicator will be available?

Don't bother asking S&W on their website. I asked that exact question 4 weeks ago, and got what I read as a 'robo-reply'. of course it's possible something has changed since then....

C

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail and your suggestion regarding Smith & Wesson or Thompson Center products.

For 164 years, Smith & Wesson has manufactured high-quality, innovative, firearms for professionals and consumers alike.

At this time we don't have any further info on what products are coming in the near future but we consider customer input a valuable resource from which to draw on during the decision making process.

Please watch our website and Facebook pages for new product announcements.

Your comments are being forwarded to the Marketing Department and appropriate  Management Team for review and consideration for future production.

Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

On 3/30/2017 at 6:05 PM, Quirk said:

Don't bother asking S&W on their website. I asked that exact question 4 weeks ago, and got what I read as a 'robo-reply'. of course it's possible something has changed since then....

C

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail and your suggestion regarding Smith & Wesson or Thompson Center products.

For 164 years, Smith & Wesson has manufactured high-quality, innovative, firearms for professionals and consumers alike.

At this time we don't have any further info on what products are coming in the near future but we consider customer input a valuable resource from which to draw on during the decision making process.

Please watch our website and Facebook pages for new product announcements.

Your comments are being forwarded to the Marketing Department and appropriate  Management Team for review and consideration for future production.

Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

I've always found S&W customer service it be incredibly friendly and polite... as well as totally unhelpful during at least your first two or three attempts.

On 3/30/2017 at 8:18 AM, beckham said:

Any word on when a 5" without the thumb safety and without the loaded chamber indicator will be available?

My guess would be after they sell all the 4 inch models they prebuilt expecting to get the government contract. 

You could order the plugs to fill the void after removing the thumb safety. S&W should send them to you for free. Just an option...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My 2.0 started failing to extract.  It did it 7 times between 2k & 3,200 rounds fired, about once every 150 rounds.  Factory ammo; HST, Speer lawman, Win White Box, Atlanta Arms, etc.  I sent it back and will see if they can fix it.  Just thought I'd share.  A few other people on other sites having the same type of problem.  Mine is a 4.25 2.0 9mm with no external safeties.

Edited by narwhal

1 hour ago, narwhal said:

My 2.0 started failing to extract.  It did it 7 times between 2k & 3,200 rounds fired

Possibly a dirty extractor/groove channel.  Not uncommon to need

to clean them around the 2500 round mark.

Just pop the extractor out, clean it and the channel it fits into,

and see if that helps.    :)

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Possibly a dirty extractor/groove channel.  Not uncommon to need

to clean them around the 2500 round mark.

Just pop the extractor out, clean it and the channel it fits into,

and see if that helps.    :)

Yeah, that was the first thing I did.  I removed the extractor and deep cleaned it 3 times but it had no effect on the frequency of failure to extract malfunctions.  I normally clean the extractor claw w/o removing it during routine cleanings as well.

Removed it, soaked it in powder solvent for a few hours, scrubbed it with a brass brush, finished it off with q-tips/pipe cleaners, made sure it was dry and carbon free then put it back together.  I also cleaned the extractor channel on the slide thoroughly each time and even removed the striker/cleaned the striker channel.  Nothing helped.

Shot a regional level match with it, starting clean as a whistle and it did it again about 120 rounds in (7th malfunction in 1300 rounds despite 3 extractor cleanings over that period), which was the last straw before I sent it back.

Edited by narwhal

My rule of thumb for extraction with M&P's. Run them as much as you have, and if they don't exhibit any problems they're good to go. If they do what you're describing, I drop in an Apex extractor and the problem goes away. Usually forever.

7 hours ago, Tarkeg said:

My rule of thumb for extraction with M&P's. Run them as much as you have, and if they don't exhibit any problems they're good to go. If they do what you're describing, I drop in an Apex extractor and the problem goes away. Usually forever.

I haven't been able to get a definite answer on whether or not the Apex F.ailure R.esistant E.xtractor is compatible with the 2.0. Apex doesn't list it under "2.0" items on its website, so I'm guessing not.

Edited by narwhal

• 3 weeks later...

I initially had some feed issues with my new 5" 2.0. The slide retracts with some difficulty compared to my other M&P's. With less than full power ammo feed reliability was spotty. 124 gr NATO rounds was no problem but ammo that was always 100% in my other M&P's was not reliable at first in the 2.0. Additionally the 2.0 was much softer shooting than my other two. I believe that its related and may be by design. After a whole bunch of inspecting and measuring it seems that the slide dimension tapers on the inside where it rides on the frame rails. Both slides I measured are .785" at the rear and the 2.0 tapers to .773" at the front. The 1.0 slide is .785" the entire length. The 2.0 slide also has larger molded nubs in front of the forward slide rails. Larger than the 1.0 by .030". It still has more resistance when working the slide after about 300 rounds but it has not malfunctioned in the last 100 rounds. Accuracy is very good for a factory M&P. Its far from APEX grade accuracy, but its the best out of the box M&P I have owned and I've owned a few, LOL. It is not however accurate enough in my opinion to meet the Army requirement. This and the fact its not nearly as modular as the P320 is my guess as to why it failed the Army tests.I will post some side by side pictures. 

The sear in the 2.0 is identical to the one in my 4.25" 1.0. I do not believe it to be a pro or performance center sear as some speculated. No adjustable rear sight either. Normal run of the mill 3-dot. The silver portion of the frame is where I thought the recoil spring was rubbing. It is not.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

The slide profile is identical to my performance center 5" without the holes. Except there is a relieved area just above the extractor. I have no good reason for it. The feed ramp is very different on the barrel (pictured to the left of the APEX bbl in the middle). It is the only meaningful change to the bbl I could see, but the bbl does fit the slide more precisely than the 1.0.

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

3" paint spot shot with 17 rds from 15 yards unsupported. Not very scientific but I never had a factory M&P bbl that would shoot that good. Rested at 25yds I was getting 5 shots into 2 1/2". The trigger no longer uses the shepherds hook to contact the sear. The back of the trigger bar behind the striker block lever hits a new part I will call the sear lever. The geometry seams to be better and more efficiant. The re-set is an interesting topic. It seems the old 1.0 had factory re-set's that were all over the place. My 4.25 has a terrific re-set, literally identical to the 2.0. My Performance center 5" has literally no perceptible re-set. We are issued the 4.25" 1.0 at work and have examined many. some have a good reset some not. The common denominator seems to be the shape of the trigger bar. The one in my performance center is different than the other two. Not sure its evident in the pictures of the frame, but its obvious in person. S&W may have changed the QC process to ensure better consistency. I see no other reason for the improved re-set.

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg