Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did switching to a Tanfoglio affect your scores?

We are well aware that shooting a Tanfo makes one an instant GM. However, my card seems to have been lost in the mail...

How do you think switching to a Tanfogooglio helped or hindered your match placements? Did it actually improve how you shoot, or did the new shiny gun simply motivate you to dryfire or practice more?

(And... What were you shooting before you switched?)

I've backed up just a little on my overall finishing in the 3-4 matches I've shot since getting the trigger smoothed out.  First time I've shot a DA/SA gun and that first shot DA pull takes some adjustment.. I did have a stage win in the last mtach I shot with the Lim Pro but finished 3rd in Prod.  

I can tell that my draw to first shot is slightly slower than with my XDM but the Tanfo shines in accuracy and handling.  With a little time and some dryfire training I'll be back to where I was and making a move towards A class by summer.

8 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

I just pick my closest target first out of the holster, get as close as possible and slam the dog poo out of that DA pull... The rest is nice and smooth

Not always an option but is my go to if available.  Last match I shot the choice to start was a 12 yard partial or a 5 yard "A" and up head shot.  Neither target screamed out to me that slamming the trigger through the DA would be in my best interest.

8 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Not always an option but is my go to if available.  Last match I shot the choice to start was a 12 yard partial or a 5 yard "A" and up head shot.  Neither target screamed out to me that slamming the trigger through the DA would be in my best interest.

Burn one into the dirt and enjoy your SA gun for the next 32 rounds? :D 

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Burn one into the dirt and enjoy your SA gun for the next 32 rounds? :D 

Indoor range with concrete floor.  Might be a good way to get myself banned by the owner/MD.  Outdoors I would agree that it might be a viable option.

43 minutes ago, ARy said:

It's time, bro...

wordpress.com

Quit hating. The more (on topic) chitchat this forum has, the more likely other forum members are to buy one in order to join the cool kids club, and the more BOLOs you will sell.

25 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

First time I've shot a DA/SA gun and that first shot DA pull takes some adjustment.

Interesting. For me it's totally the opposite. The DA is like any other long trigger you've shot: just keep it on target and focus on following through a bit more than you normally do and it's gravy. It just takes a long time and you screw yourself over if you run out of patience and slam it back without finesse.

The single action trigger was the tricky one for me. With a bolo it feels like it goes off as soon as you begin to move the trigger, so I had four makeups on transitions in my very first stage with the Tanfo because I was beginning my "M&P trigger prep" as the front sight was decelerating into the A zone.

The gun went off just early enough that I couldn't call the shot (two wound up being close C's and two were A's) so I ended up firing 3 on each target.

That doesn't happen anymore, but the SA was definitely far more challenging for me to learn.

(Of course, the main challenge with a Poroduction tanfo is getting a magazine into the gun in a hurry.)

14 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Indoor range with concrete floor.  Might be a good way to get myself banned by the owner/MD.  Outdoors I would agree that it might be a viable option.

Sarcasm, sir.

That said, I've seen it done (I'm 99.7% certain) by a C class guy with a CZ when faced with a 20yd plate rack.

The DA shot was vastly more sporting than his usual ones, and looked like it landed a solid yard to the left of the first plate, which he then proceeded to aim more deliberately at.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 hours ago, emjei said:

In all my practices I do the following drill:

25 yards
2 Alphas
2 seconds from draw

DA becomes something natural

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Same here, but at 5 yards to the head box. My indoor range has really bad lighting for the rear half of the 25yds, so I do lots of work on upper A-zones up close.

I'll do the dot torture 50rd workout with a sheet of 2" dots at 5 or 7 yd, too:

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

Both of those work your DA shots from the holster nicely.

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Quit hating. The more (on topic) chitchat this forum has, the more likely other forum members are to buy one in order to join the cool kids club, and the more BOLOs you will sell.

Interesting. For me it's totally the opposite. The DA is like any other long trigger you've shot: just keep it on target and focus on following through a bit more than you normally do and it's gravy. It just takes a long time and you screw yourself over if you run out of patience and slam it back without finesse.

The single action trigger was the tricky one for me. With a bolo it feels like it goes off as soon as you begin to move the trigger, so I had four makeups on transitions in my very first stage with the Tanfo because I was beginning my "M&P trigger prep" as the front sight was decelerating into the A zone.

The gun went off just early enough that I couldn't call the shot (two wound up being close C's and two were A's) so I ended up firing 3 on each target.

That doesn't happen anymore, but the SA was definitely far more challenging for me to learn.

(Of course, the main challenge with a Poroduction tanfo is getting a magazine into the gun in a hurry.)

I'm still under 1k worth of rounds into the learning process.  Not all of them are DA.  I have quite a bit of shooting experience with a Ford Custom 1911 so the SA is actually very relatable and the best I've shot for a hinged trigger.

8 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Quit hating. The more (on topic) chitchat this forum has, the more likely other forum members are to buy one in order to join the cool kids club, and the more BOLOs you will sell

Or, the more people will figure out that it takes alot of work to get that Tanfo running anywhere close to where it needs to be

17 minutes ago, ARy said:

Like a CZ doesn't? Lol 

The same amount of work goes into a tanfo that you can put into a CZ. Only a tanfo will be better in the end. Don't be foolish, Grumps.

This is not encouraging.. I've got my Tanfo pretty sweet and just picked up a CZ to work over.  I'm hoping for similiar results.

22 minutes ago, ARy said:

... a tanfo will be better in the end.

Of course it will. Small frame guns were made for girly hands.

Tanfos actually fit the hands of men.

(Which trigger is 5.1% more awesome really doesn't matter in your scores if you practice!)

15 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

This is not encouraging.. I've got my Tanfo pretty sweet and just picked up a CZ to work over.  I'm hoping for similiar results.

I've got two shadows. 

I've only taken my Lim Pro apart 3 times but I believe the CZ is easier to break down. 

I prefer (slightly) the tanfo's trigger plunger/mag release to the CZ's lifter spring/mag spring. 

Though, I prefer the CZ's hammer spring a lot more than the tanfo's. 

My tanfo w/PD parts (12# HS) is 5.5# DA/2.5# SA. 

My CZ's w/cgw parts (11.5# HS) is 6# DA/2# SA. 

You should be able to get similar trigger results. 

Edited by B_RAD

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Or, the more people will figure out that it takes alot of work to get that Tanfo running anywhere close to where it needs to be

They run alright out of box. But some of us have too much time on our hands... So we piss off moderators and polish gun parts... Hobbies

My initial class was A with MP9 Pro which is my first competition pistol.  I switched to Tanfo in March this year, the time when I got my initial classification, thinking GM isn't that far with a Stock 2, right?  Now I fully understand that it's the indians not the arrows.  Sure, Stock 2s are a bit easier making longer/tighter shots than most plastic guns, but gun handling skills and transition speed are not even 80% transferrable from plastic to steel, at least for me.

Retrospectively, I think I would have made M at least 3-4 months faster, provided I keep the same dry/live fire routines.  Switching to Tanfo did not change my routines, as I have already been doing 1 hour dry-fire/day and max # of live fire I could manage.  I cannot predict whether the switch increases the "ceiling" of my performance down the road, 5 or 10 years from now.  Maybe yes, maybe no. 

All I know right now, having invested 9 months and 20k rounds down range on Tanfo platform, is that I will not switch to anything else, probably never, as long as I still shoot Production.

Whenever someone asks whether the switch is worth it, I just tell them keep the guns they have and train harder.

Edited by JusticeOfToren

I started with a M&P in B class. Got addicted to USPSA and went to CZ. Made A and started my way toward M. Switched to Tanfo cause I can't stop F'ing with stuff haha. I found going from Cz to tanfo is a minor change. Im a bigger guy, 6'2" 230 and the tanfo fit my hand really well, similar to Cz but larger. I always thought the Cz shot soft, but tanfo seems even more so. Very flat and really locks into the grip. I very much prefer the checkering on tanfo to the Cz. My gun was tweaked by a professional (bodkin) so the trigger is pretty good (bolo disco is great). The Cz trigger (Cz custom trigger job) is probably a little better, but on the timer there's no difference. Anyway, with the tanfo I made M and then shot an open gun....... so my goals of production GM got sidelined at about 90%.

Running drills I actually tend to reload the Cz a littler faster.. but overall I'm happy I switched and I'll keep the tanfo. No difference in match scores other than getting better as skill has increased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, ARy said:

Like a CZ doesn't? Lol 

The same amount of work goes into a tanfo that you can put into a CZ. Only a tanfo will be better in the end. Don't be foolish, Grumps.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I don't agree with yours.:D

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I don't agree with yours.:D

Please tell us what you have to do to a tanfo that you don't have to do to a CZ?

I've done the same things to mine. 

CZ does not have the plunger assembly to polish.

My guns are worked over pretty well. I've shot Hopkins production gun and it's nice, but not as light, smooth or short resetting as mine.  But, "it's the indian" as they say.  A competent shooter will be competent with either, my opinion is a non GM, M or A shooter will probably have an easier time with the gun with a better trigger. Could be wrong, but that's how it seems to work. 

1 minute ago, johnbu said:

CZ does not have the plunger assembly to polish.

My guns are worked over pretty well. I've shot Hopkins production gun and it's nice, but not as light, smooth or short resetting as mine.  But, "it's the indian" as they say.  A competent shooter will be competent with either, my opinion is a non GM, M or A shooter will probably have an easier time with the gun with a better trigger. Could be wrong, but that's how it seems to work. 

No plunger but everything still needs to be polished. 

The mag release spring print needs to be bent on the CZ. The tanfo doesn't have that problem. Also the trigger lifter spring on the CZ sucks and can cause magazine issues. 

So, they both have quirks. 

I like them both.

To me they both require about the same amount of tweaking.  

9 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

...but gun handling skills and transition speed are not even 80% transferrable from plastic to steel, at least for me.

Retrospectively, I think I would have made M at least 3-4 months faster, provided I keep the same dry/live fire routines.

Definitely agree with you on the "80%" factor. They really are very very different.

So far the only thing that has helped me is that I am motivated to dryfire with the new gun, whereas if I'm honest two days of dryfire per month was common with the M&P. I wasn't practicing.

9 hours ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Whenever someone asks whether the switch is worth it, I just tell them keep the guns they have and train harder.

I think that about sums it up. The switch slows you down - as long as you were practicing beforehand, anyway.