Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3D printing pistol grip panels (plastic)

JusticeOfToren

Has anyone used a 3D printer to produce grip panels (plastic ones)?  I am planning to purchase one but not entirely sure how hard these plastics are, and how durable they are, compared to typical casting resins (polyurethanes).  I have used mold and cast multiple pairs of Tanfoglio grips but they are too inprecise.  I would like to be able to produce grips with much higher adherence to specs.  Thus I am looking into 3D printing of plastics. 

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

I think if you used a pet filament, it would be fine.  I have run into very weak pla, and switched to pet.  I am printing mag extensions with pet and they are holding up well. I posted a video of me dropping them installed on a mag on concrete.  

Has anyone checked the weight difference between G10 vs 3d print plastic?  If there is a big difference it can help for Single Stack Div. weight requirement.

Rich

I don't know about density off the top of my head but you can play with the infill and make it quite a bit less dense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, andyglidewell said:

I don't know about density off the top of my head but you can play with the infill and make it quite a bit less dense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I printed a solid base that goes against the frame and then only a honeycomb to build up the rest of the grip on my 1911 as shown above.  Mine are very light compared to the G10 panels that came with the gun, but I haven't weighed them.

There's a small amount of flex in mine (I used PLA) and the holes for the grip screws are a tad too shallow, so I've already modified the model to have a slightly thicker base layer, which takes care of both of those issues... just haven't printed them yet.

My primary reason for wanting to 3D print grips for my 1911 is that the factory G10 grips didn't quite fit my hands, they had a few sharp points that caused pain in my support hand and the magwell I wanted to use required shorter grips.

Ultimately, a hobby 3d printer would work ok, but the filament is going to be a bit weak. You'd probably be better suited to using one of the strong and flexible plastics off of a site like Shapeways.com. I do a lot of modeling and design through Shapeways and the strong and flexible plastic has a good resolution and is very durable for the price.

What printers do you guys use?  What filament specifically?  N3WWN - great work!  Exactly what I am looking to make, but for Tanfos.  

I am also looking for a good tool to design the model.  What software/site would you recommend?  Thanks.

Thanks! I answered in detail via PM, but in short, found a DXF of the grip outline+screw holes and extruded and manipulated it in OpenSCAD. If you're a programmer, OpenSCAD is awesome. If you're a point and click guy, not so much :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
On 1/5/2017 at 6:33 PM, RIIID said:

Has anyone checked the weight difference between G10 vs 3d print plastic?  If there is a big difference it can help for Single Stack Div. weight requirement.

Rich

We make 'Superlight' 3d printed 1911 grips in carbon-fiber-filled Nylon.  They weigh about half what a similar G10 1911 grip weighs, so about 1oz for the set versus 2.   3D printer filaments vary in density and you can play with infill and perimeters possibly at the risk of maybe more injury if a case blows..  They're grippy, but not real pretty.

• 5 months later...